IGNORED

War of the Flappy Bird Clones...

I've noticed a lot of Flappy Bird clones springing up lately. I've got mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it's a freakking one button game that's over quick and has almost no depth to it. On the other, it may be surprisingly addictive.

Specifically, there are two homebrew clones out for sale right now. And I'd be willing to bet more home console ports are on their way.

Flappy, VCS:

large_1038_2600_Flappy.jpg

http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1038

And Creepy Bird, SNES:

222197025.jpg

https://www.pikointeractive.com/store.html#!/Creepy-Bird-SNES/p/34430909/category=9430343

What would you guys recommend, or should I even buy into this craze? Are homebrew programmers going after low-hanging fruit or is there hidden depth and subtleties to the gameplay? :dunce:

Edited by stardust4ever

I intended to deviate from a faithful clone, purposefully changing the graphics of the bird and gameplay physics to something that I believe was more fun and hilarious to play, while ripping off the fly through the pipe gaps.

It still barely qualifies as a game, but I laugh every time I play at the funny animation and end sound.

I am one who likes Barnstorming, which is just about as pointless.

I guarantee it's more fun than Desert Bus!

LOL RT. Repetitive motion injury? Turbo fire? It's not a race, unless you're trying to launch your bird towards the sky. They have an app for that, too...

@iesposta: I read the description where you said the bird can glide by holding down the button. Does the original or any other clones to that? If not, it may add a layer of depth to the game. :)

LOL RT. Repetitive motion injury? Turbo fire? It's not a race, unless you're trying to launch your bird towards the sky. They have an app for that, too...

@iesposta: I read the description where you said the bird can glide by holding down the button. Does the original or any other clones to that? If not, it may add a layer of depth to the game. :)

Re: Holding the flap button. I don't think others do this, but Joust does.

In my game it probably isn't noticeable, it is definitely longer in Joust.

Joust is my brother's favorite game and he never realised you could glide by holding flap down.

I thought Flappy Bird was so last year and the new thing was 2048.

While it may seem like low hanging fruit, on a system that doesn't have hardware scrolling but the ability to redefine graphics on the fly, it might be a programming challenge just to get it right. On systems where you at best can scroll 1/2 character at a time or even less, it might be made with tongue in cheek or as a challenge to still make it playable and addictable.

• 2 months later...

I've played Veccy Bird and Creepy Bird (SNES) and both are good. Then again these games are more of a collection than something I'd play all the time. Veccy Bird is free (I think) so I have it on my flash cart and Creepy Bird was cheap enough. I may get the Atari version soon as well. I've been kind of holding off until Albert got the new molds and carts made but we don't know when that will be.

I D'loaded a free "Flappy Bird" clone on my Ouya and it was frustrating. I think I made it to 7 points. Gameplay is addicting and frustrating at the same time, but I'm afraid it might throw me into a controller smashing rage if I buy the SNES one by Piko. There's another homebrew I really wanted, "Rockfall", but he said it had issues with his SNES mapper board which is integrated with the lockout circuit. He hasn't added any new games in nearly a year and I want to bundle it with something if I get Creepy Bird. I already have Classic Kong, Noah's Ark, Astro Hawk, and the 4-in-1. Bloopy doesn't really interest me.

I remember thinking, when I first heard of Flappy Bird, "Oh, so it's like Cave 1K?"

:-D

Yep, that was my first thought as well. The only reason "Flappy Bird" took off like it did is because the developer pulled it for awhile, which generated interest. The graphics are uninspired (I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't sued, frankly) and the control sucks.

• Like 1