IGNORED

XF351 for sale on ebay

bob1200xl

This is a facinating topic and piece of Atari history.

Just a few questions to see if making a MOD kit for SF354's or SF314's would be possible...

Hello Jon

flashjazzcat, on 10 Nov 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:snapback.png

Someone needs to clone that controller board so we can mod our otherwise useless ST floppy drives. :)

Dropcheck?

Sincerely

Mathy

PS I read on her site that's she's back in business. And she could add the second SIO port.

Yes, someone making PCBs would be great use for the ST drives out there to convert them to 8-bit use rather than changing our XF551's!

Even modifying the controller PCB to handle DS-DD for ST SF314's in stead or just copy it and make MOD kits for SS-DD for a ST SF354's mod kit.

I think the expectation is that we can learn what command puts it into DD mode. That would give us a 320K drive.

Obviously, engineering wasn't quite done with the design... not ready for PrimeTime at the FCC.

This is really a collector's item - you shouldn't hack it.

Bob

I agree, but fixing the ROM so we could modify SF354's would be great!

Quick look at the code, it has commands R, r, P, W, S, !, N, O, H, ". There a couple of others but am going to bed as am falling asleep at keyboard. will try and figure out what some do latter.

James

The other 3 commands are R, P, W with high bit set. It doesn't appear that high bit set means anything at this point. The H command appears to set high speed sio, a similar speed to the XF551. All bytes sent/returned after the H command is issued with a $01 in one of the aux bytes will be at high speed except for the command frame. Once high speed is set, Instead of A (ack) returned for command Acknowledge, a H is returned. To turn off, issue a H command with 0 in aux bytes.

A custom dos required for this baby.

James

How hard would it be to patch the ROM so it doesn't need a custom DOS if we wanted to make a mod kit for SF354's?

Digging a bit more, it appears the full single sided 80 track disk is treated as a double sided 40 track disk.

Also the percom block can return either 26, 18 or 16 sectors per track. Need to dig more to see which densitys do what.

The percom block aux byte returns $48 (H) if in high speed mode or $41 (A) in normal speed mode. The XF551 returns $41 always.

James

Edit: It won't work on PAL computers. The sio routines are not patched.

"the full single sided 80 track disk is treated as a double sided 40 track disk" Do you think that is to keep be compatible with the XF551 for the software already out there as Bryan suggests?

How does that compare with

Could the ROM sio routines be patched so we could modify SF354's for PAL 8-bitters as well?

Wow, that's kinda clever as it would have made it completely compatible with software for the XF551.

Bob.

Could you please try to format a disk DS DD 40 tracks, 16 sectors per track. This should get a working format of 1280 odd sectors with the XF351.

The single density format you done, does dos think it was successful but it wasn't? Only way to tell is to read beyond sector 720 and see what happens.

James

Bob were you able to test beyond sector 720 to see if it really was successful?

Edited by Defender II

After a SD format, I can read out to sector 1280.

What is the advantage to starting with an XF351 rather than an XF551 if we want to make an 8-bit drive out of an SF354? If you use an external power supply, there isn't much left of an XF551 to fit into the SF354 case, is there?

Bob

The code is very similar with all 8040 pins appearing to have the same function between the 2. My guess is the XF351 was done first then the XF551 was done latter using the code from the 351 as a start point. Many routines are the same, some even in the same location. So i would say yes. BUT, it wont work on PAL computers.

James

If someone tries this rom transplant, please let us know how it does. I suspect there are better XF 3.5" alternatives (such as Hyper-XF). The best I've used is the CSS/Puff one- and two-drive conversions. (Actually the best is the Floppy Board, but that doesn't count.)

Would an XF551 pcb fit into an SF314/354 case? Dropcheck's? I've got an "XF2" pcb that I need to check, but my guess is -- too wide.

-Larry

Would an XF551 pcb fit into an SF314/354 case? Dropcheck's? I've got an "XF2" pcb that I need to check, but my guess is -- too wide.

It does not fit. I have been waiting for this for years and on occasion bang on the hardware gods for a miracle. MetalGuy and Candle in particular. I've also been in contact for a couple of years with a guy here about something called an XF551B board that would fit, but he's had RL to deal with. Picture below.

gallery_16380_756_96073.jpg

Thanks. Too bad, but I suspected it. Also unfortunate that Dropcheck didn't have input early enough to possibly make a board that would fit in either style case. But even if it did fit, there is the problem with the round vs. trapezoidal connector openings. Would have taken some "body work" to get it usable.

-Larry

I thought someone in the US had built an XF551 board that was maybe 1/3 in size that replaced the same board in an XF551 case. It would probably fit into the SF. I just can't remember where I saw it. Something about XF551 re-imagined ..

Edited by kheller2

You might be thinking of this?

http://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=reimaged-xf551-disk-drive-controler-wmodern-power-supply

But the width looks to be the same, even though the length might be less.

-Larry

Yeah that's it. It might fit sideways.. didn't know we were looking for an elegant solution. ;-)

Below is a small snippet of code from similar locations in each rom. Apart from address difference of the 351 code , It does the same thing.

XF351...

mov a,#80h
nop
nop
nop
nop
jf0 X025f
nop
nop
X024c: nop
nop
nop
jf0 X025f
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
X025f: clr c

XF551 1st version, worked for ntsc, not PAL

mov a,#80h
nop
nop
nop
nop
jf0 X0259
nop
nop
X0246: nop
nop
nop
jf0 X0259
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
X0259: clr c

XF551 Patched to work on PAL

MOV A,#80H
NOP
NOP
NOP
NOP
JF0 A259
NOP
NOP
A246 NOP
NOP
NOP
JF0 A259
NOP
NOP
NOP
NOP
NOP
JMP A2EE
NOP ;never gets here
A253 NOP
NOP
NOP
NOP
NOP
NOP
A259 CLR C

"
"
A2EE JMP A253 "

As you can see, the PAL version (which works on ntsc as well) has a JuMP to end of that pages code then jumps back. The affect is to add one machine cycle to the timing of receiving of each bit. There are 3 locations where one machine cycle had to be added. The above code is 1/2 of what is used to receive data frames. Command frames use very different code but it too has been patched to add in one cycle.

James

Digging through the code more, It would appear the format code and sector divide for read/write is fixed at 1280 sectors, 16 sector per track, despite status bits supporting 26 and 18 sector per track and support for 128/256 byte sectors. Wondering if it is work in progress and this is a proof of concept version.

James

Edited by sup8pdct

• 1 month later...

Digging through the code more, It would appear the format code and sector divide for read/write is fixed at 1280 sectors, 16 sector per track, despite status bits supporting 26 and 18 sector per track and support for 128/256 byte sectors. Wondering if it is work in progress and this is a proof of concept version.

James

It is great that you have been able to dig into the code and figure these changes out. Do you have a copy of the anotated XF551 code for the ROM from Atari? I remeber some thread that mentioned they had it but lost it due to a mishap, but I can't find the thread anymore.

I am still interested in getting an ST drive and modifying it to work with the 8-bits. I like the smaller cases and don't want to modify any of my XF551s.

• 4 years later...