IGNORED

5200/XL Joust vs. 7800 Joust

Mister-VCS

Played both versions this weekend - surprise, surprise: 7800 Joust looks and plays much better than 5200/XL Joust!

The XL-version is a little bit on the easy side and the "Joust-feeling" is missing in comparison to the 7800- and 2600 (!) version.

My fun-ranking:

1. 7800 Joust

2. 2600 Joust

3. 5200/XL Joust

comments?

• Like 2

Also, just throwing it out there, if you have one of these Genesis controllers:

CIMG2639_zpsc1b8daa1.jpg

They are great for Joust. You can shift from a normal flap to turbo-flap, just by moving your finger up to the turbo-dedicated button. In the XE version (not sure about 2600) using a turbo will bounce you off the "ceiling" once you are that high and get you killed. In the 7800, you simply maintain max (or close to max) altitude along the ceiling just by holding it. It also means you can gain altitude in a hurry without destroying your thumb.

This post brought to you by Cheaty McCheaterson.

• Like 3

Outside of the Arcade (And arguably for some even including the Arcade), the 7800 is the best version overall, inclusive of comparison to the 5200/XL or NES. I absolutely love it and one of the system's top games for me with 'Advanced' setting providing a harder start than the Arcade, but a ramp-up difficulty better matching it than 'Intermediate':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0euJM0bdN00

Two player simultaneous action is always sweet too, and the fact that you can adjust the game's challenge to one or two levels easier from the above, and one level more difficult, provides a starting level of gameplay where many can find a setting they enjoy.

• Like 2

Coincidentally, had a blast playing 2600 Joust last night. I've had it since BITD of course, but am still amazed at how well they captured the feel of the arcade in that translation. Agree about the 7800 version being something of a masterpiece though. :love:

Pretty much enjoy all versions of Joust and the knockoffs across all platforms. Such a unique gem that never seems to get old. Even TI's Hen Pecked, as flawed as it is, has its charms:

post-13896-0-51324700-1416924896_thumb.png

• Like 2

The 7800 version reigns supreme. Here's my ordering:

7800 Joust

NES Joust

2600 Joust

Lynx Joust

The Lynx orientation I'm not crazy about. 2600 Joust is definitely a very well-made game for the system, and probably my top 20 on the system. If it weren't for the later ports, it'd probably be top 10.

• Like 2

Pretty much enjoy all versions of Joust and the knockoffs across all platforms. Such a unique gem that never seems to get old. Even TI's Hen Pecked, as flawed as it is, has its charms:

Interesting to think about the knock offs. I've seen more than one person say Balloon Fight on NES is better, which I totally disagree with. Had never heard of Hen Pecked. There must be others right?

I don't know if it's the "maps" or the physics, just not right.

Flipping to vertical then cutting the area, instead of leaving the horizontal layout was a really bad move too.

Combining that with the bigger/bulkier platforms and other objects on the screen, made for one frustrating experience trying to move around. :(

post-18-0-09973700-1416933445_thumb.png

Interesting to think about the knock offs. I've seen more than one person say Balloon Fight on NES is better, which I totally disagree with. Had never heard of Hen Pecked. There must be others right?

Oh yeah, Balloon Fight is excellent for what it is. Plays real well too. Might be the best Joust knock-off IMO actually. Been years since I last played it (still have it on one of those NoaC controllers), but remember some interesting gameplay involved as there are a couple of balloons to pop which I think affects the way you maneuver. Will have to give it a try soon in light of the remembrances now. :)

I really enjoy Joust on the 2600 (my first taste of the classic), 7800, and NES, and I need to play all three of them next to each other to evaluate them together. With that said, I prefer Balloon Fight with it's smooth play control and cheery graphics. The Gameboy's Balloon Kid is pretty awesome with it's vs. mode.

Alright, I've played the 2600, 7800, and NES port, on both the original hardware and emulation to eliminate video quality and controller bias, and I think I prefer them in that order. The 2600's graphics, simplistic as they are, look nicer than the 7800's port's, which are rough. The NES has by far the best looking graphics and sound effects, though the 7800 has the extra animations like visibly (as opposed to suddenly) disappearing platforms and orphaned flying ostriches. I think the NES version has superior play control EXCEPT for one major failing: the weight & initial take off of the ostrich rider. Man, it seems so much harder and slower to take off from the ground or gain initial altitude on the NES, to the point of changing the strategy of the how you have to play the game. I didn't notice this before, and, evidently, adapted, but, now playing the three ports side by side, it irks the hell out of me.

With all of this said, let me double down on my preference for Balloon Fight, Joust rocks, but the play control of Balloon Fight makes flight so much easier and fun that it is hard to go from it back to Joust.