IGNORED

ps2 or xbox for DVD

DeV0

Hi All

This isnt really a VS question, i like both machines.

But what would be the average opinion of the dvd movie quality? I like the xbox sound a little bit more and the control has more options,, But the PS2 has a boot disc for mutli region.

I really want to find out which does the job better

yeah man the ps2's dvd playback sux big time. Ive seen certain movies with constant flashing white lines for an entire movie, and it cant read every dvd out there. The xbox is much better with sounds, playback and reliability. but these systems werent built with the best dvd playback out there even tho the xbox's is pretty good, its what i use to watch all my dvds :D

Thanks guys

I have a stand alone pioneer in the bedroom, Space is the problem though and i have the PS2 and XBOX on the 2 big sets.

From all your advise im gonna use the Xbox on my main set for dvd movies, Guess i just need to mod for all region.

Cheers ppl

The PS2 is better. While I've encountered one DVD that won't play on a PS2 and another that has a problem about midway through playing, I've encountered many more DVDs that the X-Box simply won't recognize and refuses to play.

The XBox player has a couple more features (variable speed fast forward/rewind and zoom) but when you can't play your movies on it, then it doesn't really matter much.

wwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr flflflflflflflflflflfllflflflfllflflflflflfl ssssssssssssssssssssssssss wwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr flflflflflflflflflflfllflflflfllflflflflflfl ssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Guest: "Whats that noise?"

Me: "The PS2 playing a DVD"

Guest: "Turn up the volume on the TV, I can barely hear whats being said"

With DVD players getting cheaper, I don't think it would hurt to have a spare stand-alone player on hand.

I agree.

After my poor experiences with the XBox (pay $30 extra to unlock something it can already do, and then find out that it won't play half a dozen of my discs), I decided to by a pure DVD player. I'm just as happy with my 5 disc Panasonic DVD changer as I am with my PS2.

I agree.

After my poor experiences with the XBox (pay $30 extra to unlock something it can already do, and then find out that it won't play half a dozen of my discs), I decided to by a pure DVD player.  I'm just as happy with my 5 disc Panasonic DVD changer as I am with my PS2.

Substitute "PS2" for "X-Box" in the first line of Gabriel's post, and you have the same experience for me with the exact same results.

I still love my PS2 mind you, but only for gaming.

I've used both as DVD players. The PS2 menu is crap, playback is crap. I've had so many movies that wouldn't paly in that thing. I missed the end of Dogma because the thing froze up!

The Xbox is better but, it still had some screw-ups.

That's why I made Starscream hook up his extra DVD player to the big screen. It's a pain in the butt because it doesn't have a remote, (well it does but it's in the basement working the reciever down there) but I haven't had any problems with playback.

Gaming consoles for playing games, DVD's for playing DVD's

Why not totally redeem yourself and get a video-CD player?

(cd-i,Saturn+VCD card,) Not only can you get *new*Video CD movies on eBay dirt cheap you can also download and burn all your favorite Kazza adult M-peg's.Ask Jaghammer about the video quality on most video CD's. Or just get a walk-man Video CD player http://www.gamechoice.com.hk/vcdmp3.html

;)

My PS2 was the only DVD player that I owned for about two years and I never had one bit of trouble with it. It's still gonna be the only DVD in my bedroom setup. I’ve heard a lot of people complain about the PS2 for DVD playback but I’ve seriously never had any difficulties whatsoever. Maybe I was just lucky? It is a 1st generation (as in 1st week) model. Would that make any difference?

Why not totally redeem yourself and get a video-CD player?  

(cd-i,Saturn+VCD card,) Not only can you get *new*Video CD movies on eBay dirt cheap you can also download and burn all your favorite Kazza adult M-peg's.Ask Jaghammer about the video quality on most video CD's. Or just get a walk-man Video CD player http://www.gamechoice.com.hk/vcdmp3.html

;)

vcd's are fukin cool ;) , an xillent substitute when you cant find a dvd thats NOT widescreen or letterbox.

plus some vcd's are really good quality and nice and cheap for when times are tough, like now :D

Foxy mentioned that the ps2 frooze, heh, when i bought the system to really cheak it out the fukin thing frooze the first day i bught it while i was playing a game, talk about garbage ;)

im surprised tho that the xbox gave some of you trouble, i mean the xbox doesnt have it where some dvds say "Playstation 2 Compatible!!!"

Yes yes yes, neither , standalone etc

As ive said i have a standalone in the BEDROOM, i have no space for it on the big sets.

Ok, Ive come to the conclusion that after watching some DVD's on the xbox now that it is easily as good as my stand alone pioneer,, Therefore i will use the xbox. Also there is a vcd bootdisc for modded 'xboxs. I have way over 100 vcds bought from hong kong which i used to frequent.

Holy crap, i believe CPUwiz has the same player!!

Gaming consoles for playing games, DVD's for playing DVD's

:love:

I knew there was a good reason I signed up for the Girly Girl Club. :D

Why can't MORE people see it this way? That's why I love GameCube, it's a PURE GAMING CONSOLE. HUTTAH! :D