IGNORED

Best Home Version of Mario Bros.?

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite home version of Mario Bros?

• Atari 2600
    • Atari 5200
    • Atari 7800
    • Atari 8-bit
    • ColecoVision
    • NES
    • Other (post)
  2. 2. How do you pronounce "Mario"?

• Mare-e-o
    • Marr-e-o

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

-IMO, the NES version is the overall best home version; it just has the best, most refined graphics, sound and controls.

-The ColecoVision homebrew version is also excellent, and even has the intermissions. But Mario controls a little too 'slippery' for my tastes, and the fireballs look more like hurricanes.

-The Atari 7800 version looks good and controls well, but suffers from crude TIA sound.

-I actually kinda like the Atari 5200 version of Mario Bros. Sure, it is slow, but it played well for me back when my 5200 worked. Decent graphics and sound, and has the best water pipes of the versions here. It came out the same year as the arcade and the 2600 versions (1983) so for it's time, I think it was quite good.

-Never played the Atari 2600 version, but it just looks too primitive for me to really enjoy it.

I pronounce "Mario" like Marr-ee-oh.

I haven't played all of them, but currently ColecoVision is my pick.

As for pronoucing Mario, it's pretty much like saying the flower "marigold"... the same "mar" sound I mean. Not "mare" and not "marr".

As a side note that means very little, I've had two fairly close friends over the years with the name. One Italian, one Filipino. Both pronouced their names in the manner I say it. So, I stick with it.

:)

NES > 7800 > XEGS > 5200/Apple II > 2600. Never played the Coleco version but I don't count homebrews anyway. The 2600 version -- like many 2600 arcade ports -- doesn't look or play quite like the source material, but it's still a good game. If I really want to play Mario Bros, I'll go to the NES or 7800 versions, but if I want to mix it up on the 2600, I might put in that version.

And Mario is "Mahr-e-o." He even says it himself in Super Mario 64. "It's-a me: Mario!"

Youse would hafta be some kinda goomba or somethin' to pronounce it "Mary-o!" :-D (I kid, I kid.)

• Like 1

It's true that people from different areas will pronounce things differently.

What I like about Spanish / Italian is that vowels are always pronounced exactly the same way and every vowel is voiced, there are no silent vowels.

Makes things easy.

A. E. I. O. U. are pronounced ah, ay, ee, oh, oo (as in spoon).

M ah r ee oh

Again, unless you want to say it americanised like Angel instead of Ahn-hayl or Jesus instead of Hey-soos.

The advent of Mario speaking in his games may mark the precise moment in time that Nintendo's marquee IP fell from grace and dove headlong toward total bunghole suckage, but there is some modicum of consolation to be found in all that suckage: at least it brings with it definitive proof that the pronunciation “marry-o” is wrong, thereby averting the need for decades of fruitless bickering among internet nerds. Glass half full, and all that.

I haven't played all of them, but currently ColecoVision is my pick.

As for pronoucing Mario, it's pretty much like saying the flower "marigold"... the same "mar" sound I mean. Not "mare" and not "marr".

As a side note that means very little, I've had two fairly close friends over the years with the name. One Italian, one Filipino. Both pronouced their names in the manner I say it. So, I stick with it.

:)

I see you're from NJ. :)

This might help with deciding how to pronounce Mario, afterall, it was made by Nintendo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4VJ1rNz7bG8

Yes, this is how it's pronounced!

Very close, but without the right Italian vibrant 'r'.

It's more towards the English r of bright and sprite, not the r from rat and rose.

Gosh, I've never played the C64 version, but after all the positive reviews on this thread, I'll have to try it. At least I don't remember playing it. May I have and just can't remember.

I remember playing this on an original arcade machine in a movie theatre back in the day. And of course there was the excellent version embedded inside Super Mario Bros. 3. And I'm sure I played some sort of PC version at some point.

No mention of the GBA version that's included with the Super Mario Advance games and Mario and Luigi? It starts out easier and has spinies instead of shellcreepers, but it has everything from the arcade, even the icicles. I like that version quite a bit. I'm not sure if it's my favorite version, though. I have yet to play the A800 one on a real system and I don't have the CV version. I also like the NES port and Luigi Bros., though the latter is just the NES version with recolored sprites.

Edited by BrianC

There was no allstars versions.

He's talking about the minigame adaptation in Super Mario Bros 3. It has been years, but I think All-Stars took it and enhanced it even further and made it selectable from the title screen in SMB3.

Edit: Here is is...

No mention of the GBA version that's included with the Super Mario Advance games and Mario and Luigi?

It's so different though that I consider it more a remake than anything else.

I wish I could've taken advantage of 4 person multiplayer though. Has anyone else with Mario Bros. Advance? How'd it work?

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I like the newer version on the GBA version of (put mario game here) It was the same among all them, but it was cool, My favorite was the 2600, it was my first though so that may skew it a bit.

I always pronounced it Mar-E-O even before the Nintendo shows and such , and later games that reenforce pronouncing it that way.

Mare-e-o

Reaching way, way back into my memory, I seem to recall an episode of Muppet Babies entitled 'It's Only Pretendo' which featured that intentional mispronunciation. (Here's a link to it) I always assumed that the people who said it that way picked it up from there either directly or indirectly.

It's pretty high on my pet peeve list. Right next to mispronunciation of 'Taito' or 'gaiden.' Well below people who feel games are 'addicting' though. If we still let nuns hit kids with rulers, it wouldn't be on the verge of accepted speech.

Edited by Reaperman