IGNORED

Am I the only one who hated the Sega Scream, and when Sega went silly?

Zap!

I dunno, I kind of liked some of Sega's "silly" ads, especially the one with Joe Montana.

"GO DEEP, JOE!!"

You should have warned me about the hot dog at the end. I was actually gonna say it wasn't that bad until a talking hot dog screamed Sega! :)

In general the American Sega Ads were cringe worthy, especially the shit they came out with during the Mega CD and Saturn period. The best series of ads would be the Japanese Segata-san Shiro however special mention must go to the excellent European Sega ads of the Mega Drive days. They were pure class.

Edited by Yakumo1975
  • Like 1

Sega in the 90's was really three companies; Sega of Japan, Sega of America and Sega of Europe. They were pretty autonomous companies. Most of the actual games and of course the consoles came from SOJ, although many of the sports titles were regionally developed and there were definitely some American and European first and second-party games beyond that.

But SOJ and SOA were famously at each others' throats a lot of the time - they didn't agree on much of anything, and that's how we got stuff like the bungled US launch of the Saturn. Obviously most of the marketing we're talking about here is SOA marketing. But when I think of "Sega" as a whole, I think of SOJ because it's the Japanese games (including Sonic) that really define the company for me. So I don't break it up into pre- and post-anything, because it's all a matter of where you lived anyway. If you were living in Japan, you'd be playing the same games but you'd have a whole different set of ads. I don't think they even had the Sega scream (though I could very well be wrong about that).

Anyway it's all just marketing. I tend to forget about it once I start playing any game.

• Like 1