IGNORED

The 2014 AtariAge Holiday Greeting Cart Is Here!

Albert

SF2 has to go. I hate it. I played the original Stay Frosty to make sure it wasn't me, and it wasn't. The game is just rage inducing, and not fun to me. Can I return it, or do I have to resell it.

Sorry you're not enjoying the game. I'm actually a bit surprised by your reaction, as quite a few people have played the game at this point (we had many beta testers, tons of people played the demo on their Harmony Carts, and the game was available to play at several classic gaming events over the past two years) and I've never heard anyone complain about this issue. In fact, this game probably has had more play before its cartridge release than just about any other homebrew.

At any rate, I'd be glad to take the game back and give you a refund. Just send me a PM.

..Al

I ordered Stay Frosty 2 and Stella's Stocking. My package arrived on Saturday, and the carts look awesome! This is my first time ordering from the AA store and it definitely won't be my last! I'll have to wait a while before I can actually play them, but at least the carts are nice to look at.

I'm glad to hear packages are arriving in plenty of time for Christmas. It's too bad the USPS tracking information is all over the place, as I'd like to see what percentage of the packages I sent out have arrived! I expect everything that was shipped via Priority Mail should arrive in time, if they haven't already. Not sure about First Class Mail packages, though . Those are probably just sitting in a warehouse somewhere. :D

..Al

SF2 has to go. I hate it. I played the original Stay Frosty to make sure it wasn't me, and it wasn't. The game is just rage inducing, and not fun to me. Can I return it, or do I have to resell it.

Before sending it back - I'd suggest trying to counter your forward momentum by tapping the joystick in the opposite direction when you need to stop. This will allow you to gain much greater accuracy in controlling your snowman.

That said, I never could get used to Marble Craze, so not every game is for every player. Stay Frosty 2 is definitely meant to be more challenging than the original.

Edited by Nathan Strum

I'm glad to hear packages are arriving in plenty of time for Christmas. It's too bad the USPS tracking information is all over the place, as I'd like to see what percentage of the packages I sent out have arrived! I expect everything that was shipped via Priority Mail should arrive in time, if they haven't already. Not sure about First Class Mail packages, though . Those are probably just sitting in a warehouse somewhere. :D

..Al

You should have used Warp Mail, but maybe that would be cost prohibitive...

Before sending it back - I'd suggest trying to counter your forward momentum by tapping the joystick in the opposite direction when you need to stop. This will allow you to gain much greater accuracy in controlling your snowman.

That said, I never could get used to Marble Craze, so not every game is for every player. Stay Frosty 2 is definitely meant to be more challenging than the original.

I tried that, but then slide off the other way. I don't know what is going on. I'll try different hardware, see if that's the issue.

I probably won't return but will probably be dumped into storage, if I can't figure out what's wrong.

I tried that, but then slide off the other way. I don't know what is going on. I'll try different hardware, see if that's the issue.

I probably won't return but will probably be dumped into storage, if I can't figure out what's wrong.

It would be interesting to see a video of gameplay, if you're able to take some.

..Al

I have to say, I'm very impressed with the music in both Stella's Stocking and Stay Frosty 2. We've gotten to hear music exceeding the 2600's original design ever since Pitfall 2, but the different instruments in these two games really raises the bar. Also, the psuedo-sampled music in Stella's Stocking sounds a lot less noisy than in other games that use that trick, Stay Frosty 2 included. Was that intentional? I've noticed some notes are little out of tune, which makes me think those frequencies were picked because they were less noisy than the "correct" frequencies.

Also, I like the clever twist on "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" that is the Stay Frosty theme. Don't think I didn't notice! :)

• Like 1

I received my copies of Stay Frosty 2, Byte Before Christmas and K.C. Munchkin yesterday. Very happy to say all three carts work on my unmodded 7800. These were excellent purchases for the price (especially the 2600 titles).

The only game on the Byte compilation I'm not crazy about is Christmas Adventure, and that is only because I am apparently alone in not being a fan of the original Adventure. But I'm sure the great many others out there who are fans will love this new variant. Of the four games, Bell Hopper is my personal favorite (which I expected) and Naughty List is a closer second than I expected (I lost count of how many rounds I played of this in one night--it has the sensation and addictiveness of many an Activision title).

All that said, the cart I had been patiently waiting for is my favorite of the lot. Stay Frosty 2 was everything I was hoping for and then some. It sounds so petty, but it felt like I was getting an ulcer as I tried to restrain myself from endlessly refreshing the USPS tracking page for my order, as it went nearly five days without an update. But it was completely worth it, as SF2 goes so far beyond the original in so many ways that the word "sequel" does not do it justice: special powers (snowball throwing!), new enemies, moving walls, invisible floors, bonus items and multi-screen levels. All this, and the continue option as well! I am currently stuck on level 15 and, though many of the levels are very challenging (I'm looking at you, level 10), I am simply enjoying my steady progress and am in no rush to make it through all of the levels.

Thanks to everybody involved for making these carts a reality. I don't know anybody who developed, tested or produced these carts, but I just wanted to say how happy you have made this Atari owner. Merry Christmas.

I received my copies of Stay Frosty 2, Byte Before Christmas and K.C. Munchkin yesterday. Very happy to say all three carts work on my unmodded 7800. These were excellent purchases for the price (especially the 2600 titles).

The only game on the Byte compilation I'm not crazy about is Christmas Adventure, and that is only because I am apparently alone in not being a fan of the original Adventure. But I'm sure the great many others out there who are fans will love this new variant. Of the four games, Bell Hopper is my personal favorite (which I expected) and Naughty List is a closer second than I expected (I lost count of how many rounds I played of this in one night--it has the sensation and addictiveness of many an Activision title).

All that said, the cart I had been patiently waiting for is my favorite of the lot. Stay Frosty 2 was everything I was hoping for and then some. It sounds so petty, but it felt like I was getting an ulcer as I tried to restrain myself from endlessly refreshing the USPS tracking page for my order, as it went nearly five days without an update. But it was completely worth it, as SF2 goes so far beyond the original in so many ways that the word "sequel" does not do it justice: special powers (snowball throwing!), new enemies, moving walls, invisible floors, bonus items and multi-screen levels. All this, and the continue option as well! I am currently stuck on level 15 and, though many of the levels are very challenging (I'm looking at you, level 10), I am simply enjoying my steady progress and am in no rush to make it through all of the levels.

The only game on the Byte compilation I'm not crazy about is Christmas Adventure, and that is only because I am apparently alone in not being a fan of the original Adventure.

:-o :-o How dare you !

I am also no fan of Adventure (probably because I never played it back then and it is not my style of game anyway), so most likely I am with Place Logo Here. Its funny how different people's tastes are when it comes to gaming. One player's favorite is the other one's stinker. And vice versa. Very rarely you have games which everyone likes or at least no one dislikes. And in most controversial cases, its not the game which is to blame, but just the player's different taste. So if someone dislikes a game, no one should feel negative about that.

BTW: Is the ROM available somewhere?

The only game on the Byte compilation I'm not crazy about is Christmas Adventure, and that is only because I am apparently alone in not being a fan of the original Adventure.

Nope. I'm right there with you. Adventure never appealed to me either.

But it was completely worth it, as SF2 goes so far beyond the original in so many ways that the word "sequel" does not do it justice: special powers (snowball throwing!), new enemies, moving walls, invisible floors, bonus items and multi-screen levels. All this, and the continue option as well! I am currently stuck on level 15 and, though many of the levels are very challenging (I'm looking at you, level 10), I am simply enjoying my steady progress and am in no rush to make it through all of the levels.

Thanks to everybody involved for making these carts a reality. I don't know anybody who developed, tested or produced these carts, but I just wanted to say how happy you have made this Atari owner. Merry Christmas.

Thanks for the great review! Glad you're enjoying the game. :D

Edited by Nathan Strum