IGNORED

The 2014 AtariAge Holiday Greeting Cart Is Here!

Albert

If someone wants to chime in, how many levels are there, or what's the highest stage anyone has reached so far? And when you beat the last stage, does it loop into a "hard" mode, or is there an actual ending? :)

Stay Frosty 2 features 32 unique levels (and a total of 128 levels)

Like Stay Frosty, there's 32 levels and they repeat with a warmer environment (everything melts faster to increase the difficulty); but, unlike Stay Frosty, there is an actual ending after level 128.

• Like 2

Now stuck at level 27 or 28. I was so tired and frazzled by that point that all I know is I had finally cleared level 25 (and without using a continue). Whatever level I last finished was a total mofo. I caught on early as to the basic "trick" to clear it; however, actually doing this in execution cost me both continues and all but one life. I so barely squeaked by in the end that I can't imagine getting past this on any higher level of difficulty (for that matter, I am at present having trouble imagining finishing this level again at all). Still have yet to find another bonus room but, honestly, I'm not going to actively pursue that endeavor until I have cleared one 32-level cycle of the game.

How is everybody else doing? Any other bonus rooms found?

• Like 3

I've gotten past one of the gas cans once without hitting it, although I think there was some luck involved there. It helps to have some momentum and jump right at the very end of the platform to get to those hard to reach areas. Patience (and practice) is definitely key.. :)

If you think level 9 is tough, wait 'till you get to 10! :P

Yeah, I just lost all my men and both continues to those dang birds. Love the scrolling screen, though. Pleasant surprise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After 3 weeks to settle down from my initial rage, I hooked up my Atari to an LCD TV instead of my projector. That solved the problem. I was getting input lag with the projector I was playing on, and that was causing the frustration. Especially on that first screen where timing your double jump was important. I had the same problem with my NES when I played q*bert. My jumps were noticeably late after I moved the joystick.

The game is still frustrating, but it's the good kind of frustrating.

• Like 3

After 3 weeks to settle down from my initial rage, I hooked up my Atari to an LCD TV instead of my projector. That solved the problem. I was getting input lag with the projector I was playing on, and that was causing the frustration. Especially on that first screen where timing your double jump was important. I had the same problem with my NES when I played q*bert. My jumps were noticeably late after I moved the joystick.

The game is still frustrating, but it's the good kind of frustrating.

Yeah, I cain imagine how difficult the game would be with input lag! Glad you held onto the game and can now experience it without that added (and unnecessary!) level of difficulty. :) Thanks for the update!

..Al

I was getting input lag with the projector I was playing on, and that was causing the frustration.

Awesome!

I wonder if others are having the same problem as lag is a very common problem on modern televisions - here's a whole site dedicated to Display Lag.

The lag is caused because the set has to receive a full-screen's worth of data, resize it to fit the display's native resolution (1280x720, 1920x1080 or 3840x2160 for the new 4K displays), do some additional "cleanup" processing, then finally display it. A lot of sets offer a Game Mode which reduces the lag by eliminating the "cleanup" processing.

Edited by SpiceWare

The lag is caused because the set has to receive a full-screen's worth of data, resize it to fit the display's native resolution (1280x720, 1920x1080 or 3840x2160 for the new 4K displays), do some additional "cleanup" processing, then finally display it. A lot of sets offer a Game Mode which reduces the lag by eliminating the "cleanup" processing.

Whenever I set up a new TV or projector (which I do at work regularly) I always shut off all of that extra processing garbage anyway (frame interpolation, noise reduction, etc). It just makes the picture look worse.

Whenever I set up a new TV or projector (which I do at work regularly) I always shut off all of that extra processing garbage anyway (frame interpolation, noise reduction, etc). It just makes the picture look worse.

I think this is what is going on with my projector. It has a lot of extra things going on that I don't understand. There was some weird artifacts going on. I'll see if a can turn some of these things off. The LCD TV that works, is very basic.

I have suggested this before:

IMO this forum needs a sticky topic which describes in detail how to connect the ancient console to modern hardware, how to adjust the latter and which hardware works best.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

I just did some googling on my projector. Looks like if I switch it to game mode, there's still some significant input lag. If I remember correctly, you want to get below 20 ms lag for gaming...

Input lag. The PF85U measured 166 milliseconds of input lag in Vivid, Standard, and Cinema modes, regardless of any other settings used. This is equivalent to almost ten frames of a 60 frame per second signal. In Game mode, however, lag drops to 66 ms, or four frames.

I'm unclear as to what is happening. When I hook up an Xbox 360 or a PC via HDMI, I don't notice the lag. When I hook-up the NES or Atari 7800 via composite, the lag is very noticeable. Maybe the projector can sense the computer and the xbox, and auto-magically puts me into "game" mode. I'll have to experiment when I get home from work.

I'm unclear as to what is happening. When I hook up an Xbox 360 or a PC via HDMI, I don't notice the lag. When I hook-up the NES or Atari 7800 via composite, the lag is very noticeable. Maybe the projector can sense the computer and the xbox, and auto-magically puts me into "game" mode. I'll have to experiment when I get home from work.

The television has to convert the composite NTSC signal into a digital image it can display, which takes some non-zero amount of time. This conversion is not necessary for anything hooked up via HDMI.

..Al

Looks like your PF85U is a 1080p projector. The following happens when receiving/showing a signal:

1080p in = image can be shown as is (this is most likely what your Xbox and PC are sending)

720p in = must be resized to 1080p before being shown

composite = must be digitized to a 640x480 image, resized to a 1080p image, and finally it can be shown

An additional wrinkle with composite is the signal is assumed to be 480i (interlaced) at 60 fps. The digitizing process will merge two frames together in order to create a 480p signal at 30fps. That's fine for TV, but Classic video games systems output a 240p signal at 60fps. By assumign 480i, the merging of two frames still occurs, resulting in 30fps.

Edited by SpiceWare

Awesome!

I wonder if others are having the same problem as lag is a very common problem on modern televisions - here's a whole site dedicated to Display Lag.

Go to their display database. If you notice, all of the sets with less than 16ms lag are monitors and under 30" size. Then there are two 55" Sony/Bravia HDTVs with like 17 or 18ms of lag.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

So if you want the absolute best for HD gaming, get one of the 55" Sony's (be sure to note the model numbers before you goto the store as likely not all Sony/Bravia 55" HDTVs are made the same) - there's also a toshiba available with what I assume is the same display tech - or do what I did and stick to using a smallish PC monitor for HD gaming and a CRT for SD systems.

I have read about LCDs with 7 or more frames delay. That's more than 100ms! Those a completely unusable for even moderate fast games.

I believe I have witnessed one of these in person. Game-X-Change had a Wii set up with component cables and SMB 3 VC game loaded with a game cube controller, hooked up to a small-screen LCD.

I hit "A" button, then look onscreen to see Mario "jump". I was barely able to clear the first two stages of Mario3 (which I know by heart) on that POS monitor.

Edited by stardust4ever