• Pac-Man (5200/8bit)
    • Pac-Man Collection (7800)
    • Pac-Man Collection (ColecoVision)
    • Pac-Man (C64)
    • Pac-Man (INTV)
    • Pac-Man (NES)
    • Other (post)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Here's a video of the Ataisoft prototype version of Pac-Man for the ColecoVision which was programmed in 1983. I'm pretty sure that it is complete in all senses of the word and even includes the ghosts's eyes!!! I've played the 5200 version and while it is very good, I think this ColecoVision version tops it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DfzABCAG-cQ

• Like 3

PacPc 2.0 is a good clone, but, if I remember correctly, it's not as accurate as the CV homebrew or some of the more recent emulations like Namco Museum DS and some of the arcade tricks don't work.

I will agree with you that the CV Pac Man Collection is a more accurate reproduction of the arcade game play. If I recall, the author had access to the disassembled ROM, and the arcade version used the same Z80 CPU that is found in the ColecoVision. However, to fit the graphics into a landscape orientation NTSC signal, some compromises were made. PacPC and MsPacPC have the capability of running full-screen in Portrait orientation (...I apologize for the poor quality of the photo - it is a screenshot of an MP4 video).

post-12574-0-75662900-1419020649_thumb.png

I haven't played the Namco Museum versions to be able to comment on those. If the question were limited to NTSC signal home versions then I would agree that the CV Pac Man Collection is best.

• Like 1

I know it supports portrait, and it looks the part, but I feel gameplay is what counts. Namco museum PS1 also supports tate, but the sound and gameplay is off. Namco Museum DS is more accurate gameplay wise, but, unfortunately had to be fit to the DS resolution. However, the version with Pac 'n Roll DS is also accurate and keeps the aspect ratio due to being split between two screens. XBLA version is accurate and keeps the aspect ratio, but lacks tate and has limited display options. I'm guessing the PS3 one is the same way, but I haven't played it.

Come to think of it, I didn't even think of which signal the arcade Pac-Man runs at. I know some games like the Raiden Fighters series and R-Type run at odd signals. Raiden Fighters Aces 360 is probably one of the best collections in terms of options to try to simulate the arcade speed. R-Type on PS1 R-Types feels a bit faster, even with wait on.

Edited by BrianC

The Tandy Color Computer 3 has a good looking version of Pac-Man. Unfortunately it plays nothing like arcade Pac-Man. The ghosts do not follow the proper rules of movement. Instead of Pac-Man being faster around turns the ghost are. Pac-Man dies if he touches a ghost even slightly. Unlike the arcade where pretty much the center point of a ghost has to reach the center point of Pac-Man. All this makes for a game that plays nothing like Pac-Man. It is an OK version of the game to play now and then, but disappointing when you consider most of all the old clunky console versions get these faults right.

http://www.lcurtisboyle.com/nitros9/pacman.html

Edited by Official Ninja

• 2 weeks later...

AtariAge super-user "tep392" version of "Pac Man Arcade" for Atari 8-bit computers should be on the list, but it is not. As such, I voted for "other" and I post this youtube video of it.....

[media]

Not to mention the Pac-Man collection with Pokey hack for the 7800, which tep392 was also involved with.

Edited by BrianC

Visually, the TI-99/4A version is remains impressive. Like other systems, the aspect ratio of the maze is changed to fit a 4x3 display, but somehow on the TI version it just works really well.

Admittedly, like nearly all the TI Atarisoft games, it's a s-l-o-w pacman (not jerky, just slow), but it looks amazing, and to be honest, I prefer a less frenetic pace in gameplay than I did 30 years ago! (please explain that to my wife)

I've gotta agree with gamecat80 that K.C. Munchkin is a truly fine PacMan clone...it would easily be THE best, if it wasn't hobbled by the odyssey2's standard 1 life per game...

• 4 months later...