IGNORED

IDE drive internal

rockdoc2010

i am looking for an ide interface that i can mount internally

i have a unit from Simon but he dont support his equipment.

i want to install an internal laptop ide hard drive..

period!

i dont want flash cards, i dont want mmc devices

I have a 1 meg ultimate, sio to sd, sio to pc,

I just want to use my laptop drives in an internal installation

any help or suggestions?

Douglas

If you can find either: a KMK/JZ (IDEa) interface, or an IDE Plus 2.0 hacked up to fit internally. Both have been fitted internally in the past, and both are fully OS compliant PBI host adapters.

If you don't mind using a customised OS and prefer something more discreet, try the Internal MyIDE adapter.

All of the above can be hooked up to IDE hard disks.

• Like 1

I can't imagine why you would want an actual drive when CF cards work so well. In this hack, you can swap CF cards without opening the computer and it uses just the stock 1200XL power supply.

At any rate, I don't document these things very well. It's pretty simple, however. What system do you want it in?

Bob

post-14708-0-34364200-1418776764_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

snip... " i am looking for an ide interface that i can mount internally

i have a unit from Simon but he dont support his equipment."

what device do you have now?

I'm a fan of the internal MyIDE (if still available, and they probably are). Not as flexible as the MyIDE-II cart, but has its own set of advantages. Since the OS is flashed in rom, then there is no problem with software that uses ram-under-rom such as Turbo Basis XL. I use the internal MyIDE with a Ram 320XL on an 800XL. Makes a nice setup. And the OS is very, very compatible with XL/XE.

-Larry

I suggested the internal MyIDE in my previous post, but the OP might encounter the problem of contention for the OS ROM slot, into which his Ultimate 1MB will already be plugged. I understand the internal MyIDE sits in the same IC socket. So internal MyIDE (like the two PBI devices) would here require some degree of ribbon cable soldering to other points on the board if installed in an Ultimate 1MB machine.

At least Bob's device would not appear to introduce contention for the OS ROM slot in an Ultimate 1MB machine, although if we're going to deviate into CF territory, I'd go a step further and suggest the OP purchases a SIDE2 cartridge which will - in conjunction with the Ultimate 1MB already installed in his Atari - immediately provide him with a fully OS compliant IDE host adapter (with the most flexible read/write PBI disk image mounting solution currently available), albeit occupying the cartridge slot and using flash media instead of a spinning HDD.

• 5 weeks later...

That unit has a 65816 and an IDE interface - way more than you need. I just wanted to show you an IDE solution that allows you to swap CF cards without opening the case. You don't need all that other stuff.

Message #3 in this thread has the bare-bones IDE interface that you can mount internally if the CPU is 'free'. You will have to build it yourself, however.

Bob

If you don't mind an internal IDE to CF setup, you can get CF microdrives dirt cheap now. I got some 3GB microdrives off of ebay, new (in package) for $8 each and free shipping. An actual spinning hard disk with the convenience of CF. I popped one into my MyIDE2 and it works like a charm. Miniscule power draw compared to a 2.5" drive, too.

CF is just as fast with the Atari. You're going to top out around 100KB/sec no matter what kind of disk you throw at it. CF uses IDE-compatible signaling, just a smaller connector and adapters are dirt cheap. I use a dual-CF adapter with my IDEPlus with a 4GB CF MicroDrive as master and a 128MB CF flash as slave.

If you already have Ultimate 1MB, the path of least resistance is to get a SIDE2 and throw a CF flash card or MicroDrive in it. If SIDE2 supports MicroDrives. Not sure on that one.

Edited by kogden
  • Like 1