IGNORED

"Quality Fun for the Whole Family" Sticker?

edladdin

Hey Everyone!

The last 7800 we purchased on ebay came with the original retail box. The rear of the box extolls the many great games and system attributes, with screenshots of some of the games. I was surprised to see that one of the columns on the rear was totally covered by a relatively plain sticker that says only "Quality Fun for the Whole Family". While I guess it is possible that this sticker was a hot slogan chosen at the last minute, the thing really looks like it was a cover-up for some mistake or change in plans. It even steps pretty hard on the Ms. Pacman graphic from the adjacent column.

I don't want to mess up the box trying to peel that sticker off, but I am also very curious as to what might be underneath! My googling revealed the back of only one other box, and its not the same box at all. Mine is wider and not as thick, and the art is all different. The front of my box looks just like this one.

Does anyone know the secret of what is under the sticker? TIA!

Ed

post-40253-0-12504300-1418883171_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-85161400-1418883172_thumb.jpg

They look like the same early box, but I noticed that on the box in this thread, there's a thin little sticker on the far right that says it was sold by Atari Corp. I can't make out the year for sure, but 1986 would make sense and I think that's what it looks like.

The box in the other thread doesn't have that sticker, so we can see c1984 Atari Inc. there.

There is a product you can buy (or could buy...I got mine about ten years ago at Home Depot or Walmart I think) that will remove most stickers without damaging what is underneath (and incidently, the sticker can still be reapplied somewhere else).

I can't remember what it's called, but it is a clear liquid in a bottle with a spatula-like lid that you use to insert under a saturated sticker and slowly lift up from one edge to the other. It evaporates very quickly and works by temporarily disabling somehow the "stickiness" of the glue. Doesn't work as well on very old stickers sometimes.

It's not a solvent, like Goo-gone, and does actually work, but it would take maybe ten or fifteen minutes to peel a label that size off.

I have a bottle, but the sticker (label) came off a long time ago...

• Like 2

There is a product you can buy (or could buy...I got mine about ten years ago at Home Depot or Walmart I think) that will remove most stickers without damaging what is underneath (and incidently, the sticker can still be reapplied somewhere else).

I can't remember what it's called, but it is a clear liquid in a bottle with a spatula-like lid that you use to insert under a saturated sticker and slowly lift up from one edge to the other. It evaporates very quickly and works by temporarily disabling somehow the "stickiness" of the glue. Doesn't work as well on very old stickers sometimes.

It's called UnDu. I use it and you have to move quickly because it vaporizes in seconds, but it does indeed take stickers off without corrupting the ability to put them on something else. Their store demo videos show taking duct tape off toilet paper... seriously.

Edited by themushroom
  • Like 1

It's called UnDu. I use it and you have to move quickly because it vaporizes in seconds, but it does indeed take stickers off without corrupting the ability to put them on something else. Their store demo videos show taking duct tape off toilet paper... seriously.

Thanks for that tip! If no one happens to provide the answer to this mystery, I will find some UnDu and report back.