IGNORED

Personal tales of VAPOR WARE woe.

Not quite classic gaming vaporware, but during the HD format war, I was on the HD DVD side. It was sad watching a lot of planned releases go up in smoke after Toshiba threw in the towel. I still wonder if there is a warehouse full of Jack Ryan HD DVDs somewhere...

• Like 2

Not quite classic gaming vaporware, but during the HD format war, I was on the HD DVD side. It was sad watching a lot of planned releases go up in smoke after Toshiba threw in the towel. I still wonder if there is a warehouse full of Jack Ryan HD DVDs somewhere...

HD-DVD was a much more cost effective technology but everyone kept talking about storage capacity.

To this day I haven't seen a single Blu-ray disk with some of the features SONY had promised they could do too. Instead of multi-layer disks they stick in two disks.

The HD-DVD format altered to use Chinese codecs and copy protection which don't require expensive license fees is THE format for video in China.

It's called CBHD (China Blue HD) and disks outsell Blu-ray by a wide margin there. Movies on the format sell for about $7 from what I've read which is less than half what Blu-ray disks typically sell for there..

Edited by JamesD

My personal 1st port of call would be ALL the bloody A8 games that i'd read of as 'coming soon' for the A800/130 XE either in news sections of magazines or on trade adverts, so cue:

Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Daley Thompsons Supertest (Ocean-mix of adverts in Zzap64 and news sections in Atari User Magazine)/ Druid II:Enlightenment (THe Games Machine to blame for this one))/Kendo Warrior (Byte Back), Hunt For Red October (Grandslam), Zoids (Martech), Flash Gordon (Mastertronic)..Atari User again for these...plus claiming they saw Adam Caveman running at an Atari show...

Last Ninja (System 3)/Jackal (Konami)-trade adverts. Paperboy (Elite).

Then you've Raze claiming Atari would be showcasing 7800 Turrican at an Atari event...

The One claiming Thallion were handling ST Nebulus II...

Gamesmaster claiming Cal.Games II was well underway on Lynx.

Zero, Ace etc claiming Bob armour was busy on 7800 Gauntlet....

Advert for Hellraiser claiming it was headed to Lynx..

Atari's own Lynx promo.material with high res screens of Cabal, Rolling Thunder etc...

Computer Gamers B.S claim of Rescue On Fractulas 2:Mist's of Xenon.

C+VG claiming 7800 Technocop+Eliminator.

Claims of Minter doing Ultra Star Raiders (Lynx) doing the rounds...before being revealed as to be fabrication...

Atarian with talk of Ninja Golf (XE), Road Runner (7800/XE).

We Atarians have had hopes raised far too many times i fear....

:-( Not that i fared much better as a C64 owner:

Some very clever April Fool's pranks, plus some very promising projects never completed.

Anything and everything Amiga related.

In an un-earthly endeavor, the space program and technology in general. We were supposed to have flying cars and practical robot servants. Colonies in space, on mars, and on the moon.

Hover Boards, Self Drying Cloths, Self Lacing Shoes, Mr. Fusion Power Generator.....

Wait.... That's Back to the Future II

( http://qz.com/320563/what-back-to-the-future-ii-got-right-about-tech-in-2015/ )

MarkO

Edited by MarkO
  • Like 1

:-) Cheers Tempest, chalk up Ninja Golf XE as at least ONCE existing, just ALL the others i mentioned yet to be certified as pure B.S (cough Minter Star Raiders, Mists Of Xenon, Thallion doing ST Nebulus 2 etc) or...99.9% sounding like either made up or someone just went off a press report (yep 7800 Turrican will be running at the show, just like Adam Caveman was...).The search continues.

Oh and i'm going to add:

Commando War ST/Amiga, it looked bloody superb, there was talk of the exp.paxcks that'd also be released, then..nothing :-(

Original Bioshock was at concept stage very different, all WW2 bio-experiments gone wrong etc if memory serves (got the PC mag brief sat here somewhere) but mind you so was Quake with Romero wanting an RPG esq game with it switching to VF-type stages when you entered combat (or so i seem to remember him telling Edge).

I'd of loved a System Shock 3, The ending of S.S II set up a sequel, so gutted it never happened.

System Shock 3? Would that be considered Vaporware? They wanted to make one... but it just never happened due to licensing.

Yes. Anything promised to you by advertising, announcements, semi-official rumors, or anything along those lines - which doesn't become available - is definitely vaporware.

Super Nintendo CD-ROM. This not coming out put me out of gaming. By the time the N64 came out I didn't care any more.

Are you being serious?

I have a similar story, if not a similar result (I'll never be put off gaming). I was actively saving money as a kid for a while for the ColecoVision laserdisc player with Dragon's Lair.

• Like 1

Yikes, hell i've been burnt over the years buying systems (on day 1) that did come out, but it's never put me off gaming.

I dabbled with PC gaming until it became too much faffin abart for my tastes, but just reverted back to consoles.

Maybe i was 'hardened' as a gaming enduring 20 min tape loading on the 800XL, only to get Boot Error at the end.Think that was my 'rite of passage' there and then.

Thinks like HUGE day 1 patches, put me off PS4/XB1, memory card prices put me off the Vita etc, but thankfully i've never thought time to get out of gaming, even only for a few years.