IGNORED

Ms Pac Man for Intellivision impressions thread

Rev

David and Carl - hoped this would go without saying, but PLEASE do not misinterpret my observations of something as minor as blinking ghost behavior to be a real "complaint" or hinderance to the enjoyment and awesome conversion that is Intellivision Ms. Pac-Man. I really do love the game and know I'll be spending a lot of time with it. :love:

One of the reasons I bothered to say anything at all is because I *did* notice they change rather quickly (compared to what I'm used to seeing in other versions) and well, the game's so damned near "perfect" (all things considered), that that's probably the most "negative" thing I could point out from a consumers standpoint. And this *is* an observations/impressions thread after all. :)

As to knowing or not knowing how many testers there are for any given game, I gauge that by the conversations here at AA and what I read (or don't read) in manuals. Truth be told, wish I was more active in participating that way and understanding the intricacies of programming better.

All of that said, you should know that I recognize Ms. Pac-Man as yet another 'world class release' from you guys. Truly feel that way, so again, please do not take my comments so negatively. Apologize if they came off that way. :)

Here is my video on it. Fast Forward to about 10:20, the ghosts are pretty fast and don't stay blinking long. I think i'm going to retract my original statement and say the Intellivision fast mode is better. lol

I see no evidence that the ghosts speed up when the fast mode option is on (in the 7800 version). The one time it did seem to be the case was only because you had set the level to "random" which is equivalent to having cleared seven screens… Of course at that point, they're going to be fast.

Going through a ghost is not a glitch. If it is, then the original arcade also has the glitch.

The fast mode hack only modifies one byte of code, which affects Ms. Pac-Man speed (always on full speed), and also the timing of when the ghosts are released from the box (I believe it kills the idle timer).

I recommend playing the Intellivision version with the speed mode "button". Releasing the button for going around corners is a good way to maintain control of the player.

Carl

One of the reasons I bothered to say anything at all is because I *did* notice they change rather quickly (compared to what I'm used to seeing in other versions) and well, the game's so damned near "perfect" (all things considered), that that's probably the most "negative" thing I could point out from a consumers standpoint. And this *is* an observations/impressions thread after all. :)

As to knowing or not knowing how many testers there are for any given game, I gauge that by the conversations here at AA and what I read (or don't read) in manuals. Truth be told, wish I was more active in participating that way and understanding the intricacies of programming better.

This is an INTELLIVISION impression thread. Not an ARCADE vs INTELLIVISION impression thread :)

Comments/information you find in the AA forums, especially related to me, is not always accurate. Do not always trust what you read or rumors that you hear.

I see no evidence that the ghosts speed up when the fast mode option is on (in the 7800 version). The one time it did seem to be the case was only because you had set the level to "random" which is equivalent to having cleared seven screens… Of course at that point, they're going to be fast.

Going through a ghost is not a glitch. If it is, then the original arcade also has the glitch.

The fast mode hack only modifies one byte of code, which affects Ms. Pac-Man speed (always on full speed), and also the timing of when the ghosts are released from the box (I believe it kills the idle timer).

I recommend playing the Intellivision version with the speed mode "button". Releasing the button for going around corners is a good way to maintain control of the player.

Carl

Yes, i corrected myself a few posts below that. I'm an idiot sometimes. :ponder:

This is an INTELLIVISION impression thread. Not an ARCADE vs INTELLIVISION impression thread :)

Comments/information you find in the AA forums, especially related to me, is not always accurate. Do not always trust what you read or rumors that you hear.

Been gathering that. Really should sign up on your forums to get the real inside scoop on this stuff - especially when it comes to those sneaky back door release dates! :lol:

I am very impressed seeing the videos.

It seems a very, very fun game with a lot of replay value. :thumbsup:

If it wasn't a bad combination of all tributes I have to pay in January + high dollar + customs are taxing me near 100% :mad:, I would have ordered immediately.

Well, I hope I can play this lovely game as soon as possible. :)

A huge thank you for Carl and David.

Not to derail the thread I made, or take anything away from Ms Pac Man......but....what will you be your next masterpiece! :-)

Perhaps

DK Jr?

D3K Arcade? (With snow/ice level?)

Blix 2? (I jest..I jest!)

Or perhaps an epic RPG ...

I love Galaga but i own enough versions of that already. What would make an Intellivision version unique?

Since i am not as hardcore of a collector i have to weigh my options and look to see if the same game is on a different system, plays just as great, and is cheaper. Ms. Pac-Man was an exception. But i can think of quite a few games that fall into that category. D2K added originality so is another exception. But on the plus side, everything Carl touches turns to gold. :)