IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Hmmm, that seems a lot brighter than McWill's video - the contrast in his video was spot on.

However (from what I understand) the screen is the same as the Lynx mod and I'm very happy with it - so I doubt it'll be a problem for me when mine turns up.

Hi.

Received my GameGear Mod from McWill yesterday and installed it right away.

Here is some pictures of the finished GameGear.

Really nice screen, but i wish i could turn down the brightness a little, but not a big problem.

Anyways, thanks McWill for making this kit.

It seems too bright. Please check the soldering on the pads. I guess the D0 - D3 signals are wrong. Perhaps there is a shortcut and they are connected to VCC, so they are still '1'. Usually the screen is more colorful and not too bright.

Please let us know, what was wrong.

It seems too bright. Please check the soldering on the pads. I guess the D0 - D3 signals are wrong. Perhaps there is a shortcut and they are connected to VCC, so they are still '1'. Usually the screen is more colorful and not too bright.

Please let us know, what was wrong.

your game gear mods is now available? i missed that one :(

I have spent all my spare cash for this month but next month or the one after I will be enquiring about a or a couple of game gear screens that's for sure.

as there is no brightness adjustment still is there a way to mod the board using a POT to reduce the voltage to the backlight at all?

Here's the vid of the new GG screen!

I know it's not Lynx related but it kind of is based on this comment:-

McWill, awesome job again! Please consider doing a future revision for the Lynx screen to include the scanline and 'retro LCD' options for any new boards you get manufactured. I would buy another of each of these at some point.

• Like 3

I know it's not Lynx related but it kind of is based on this comment:-

McWill, awesome job again! Please consider doing a future revision for the Lynx screen to include the scanline and 'retro LCD' options for any new boards you get manufactured. I would buy another of each of these at some point.

AWESOME video! Thank you very very much ;-) !

My wallet's waving the white flag. I need to scare up money before I can do this mod.

Hi I am new to the forum. Amazing mod the gg looks great. Any possibility for a gba mod for the future?

GBA-SP 101 (with the brighter LCD, not the older 001 with shit LCD) is already great looking and there have been successful hack to transplant 101 LCD into GBA for people that prefers GBA form over GBA-SP form.

While I agree that the backlit GBA screen in the AGS-101 is a huge improvement over the crappy frontlit AGB-001 and AGS-001 it is still a relatively mediocre screen when compared to today's standards and McWill's screens. The contrast and colors are good, but the ghosting... meh.

But the most important thing that is missing is the VGA out. The VGA out on the Lynx is awesome, (and I can't wait to receive my Game Gear modded by McWill!), and I would love to play my GBA full screen on a VGA monitor!

And I say that even though I just spent quite some cash on a modded GBA AGB-001 with an AGS-101 screen. Still, I'd buy a McWill-modded GBA without thinking twice, and I'm sure it would be much better!

Same for NeoGeo Pocket and Wonderswan, that would be awesome, especially considering those handhelds cannot be modded with a back light, just a better-than-nothing front light, and there are no RGB/VGA out options at the moment.

On the other hand I'm a bit less interested in getting the screen/vga out mod for the PC Engine GT/TurboExpress and Nomad: while I love those systems, their games can already be played in full RGB glory on a big screen using a regular PC Engine/Turbografx16 or a Megadrive/Genesis.

Good screens would be still be cool though.

Anyway, thanks McWill for those amazing mods!

Edited by quadratic

I've done many AGS-101 screen mods for a lot of my customers using both original Nintendo screens and the now no longer produced aftermarket ones from a few years ago. Yes, there is the potential for quality issues (given the fact that there are 2 different GBA connectors and 2 different 101 screens) but if you have the correct adapter and use it correctly, you should eliminate any ghosting or video problems.

There are too many 32/40 pin adapters on eBay with no usage instructions and people are left to guess. The good North America vendors will instruct you on how to use their product (adding resistors, joining pins, etc) so issues like the one you have wont happen.

If you want to play GBA on your TV I suggest you invest in a GBA player for the GameCube.

I strongly doubt that McWill can produce a GBA LCD replacement screen that would be profitable to him (given SPs can now be found for $30 or fully modded GBA systems for $100)

First, save Microvision! LCD rot is killing them and there are so few that are still playable. Replacement LCD would rock. Microvision LCD is stupidly simple compared to virtually all other LCD devices: 16 rows and 16 columns all controlled by the LCD chip inside the main system. The CPU (on the cart) sends data to the LCD chip to display.

Maybe replace it with 16x16 LED matrix for night time playing :D

Ok peeps,

I'm having some success with the screen mod but have a couple questions. When I first powered the unit on the screen was opposite orientation to what I expected. When fitted into the Lynx my tft connections are at the top of the Lynx. The quick guide gives the impression they should be at the bottom? Have I put a connection on wrong or am I correct? Secondly I have a silver edge from the tft showing on the left hand side. You can't see it when playing only when off, again is this normal? Controls worked as expected.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by BadPricey

Regards orientation, sounds like you've got the screen upside down?

I buzzed out the connections and they tally up ok. I flipped the screen using the Lynx buttons which worked ok but when i turn the Lynx off and back on it reverts to the original way. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I'd just like to thank McWill for creating this mod. Games look bright and clear although the pixels are more defined now and make the graphics appear a little blockier.

My install isn't/wasn't without issues. I had a little soldering experience and no desoldering experience. The desoldering was tricky and I managed to bugger up the ground point i needed to resolder to. With a little careful scraping I was able to make a point to solder onto.

My soldering knowledge is low and unbeknown to me my solder was too thick. Only realised by McWill when I sent him a pic of a pad I'd removed from the new tft pcb!! Luckily a good friend of mine was able to solder onto the track beyond the missing pad. McWill advised me to use 0.7mm solder. I had success connecting everything up however my Lynx screen is installed in what appears to be an upside down orientation. I have checked, rechecked and triple checked all the connections are correct. I can't see what is wrong but hey ho its in and working and I'm pretty relieved considering all the problems I've caused. Reading this may make you laugh or cause you to slap you're forehead and I can't blame you. I'm glad I tried and in the end succeeded. I haven't installed the vga connector because there's a good chance I'll screw something else up. For now my mod is in and working.

Once again thanks McWill you truly are a legend in the Lynx community ;)

• Like 1

Perhaps you just need to remove the screws, turn the lcd 180 degrees and tighten the screws again?

The Lynx turns on and the screen is the correct orientation, however compared to the quick guide and what Gadget says it should be fitted 180 degrees around?

Forget all that it appears to be installed correctly I've just looked at pictures of someone else's install!

Only thing was I could see the silver edge of the tft so I've used black marker pen to hide it.

Edited by BadPricey