IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

hi :)

Are there any news about the scanlines feature for the lynx LCD model ? only waiting for it to place order ;)

Thanks again for your work, McWill !

Nicolas

I will posts some pictures when then next batch arrives. But it looks similar as the GG mod with scanlines.

Hello mate, i'm keen on one of these new modded lcd's, when do you think they shall be available? Is postage to Australia available?

On a side note, if any other Aussies would like to do a group buy, and save on postage, I'd be game for that.

Also, do you have any estimation on the power consumption of a Lynx 2 with one of these screens?

Cheers!

Hello mate, i'm keen on one of these new modded lcd's, when do you think they shall be available? Is postage to Australia available?

On a side note, if any other Aussies would like to do a group buy, and save on postage, I'd be game for that.

Also, do you have any estimation on the power consumption of a Lynx 2 with one of these screens?

Cheers!

The LYNX mod is available again next week with new firmware. Shipping to Australia is no problem. I already sent several LYNX mods and GG mods to Australia ;-)

The power consumption is about the same as before, but with new viewing experience :grin:

Fantastic, thanks for the reply.

Are these likely to sell out? As i'm away for a month, funds shall be tight and net access will be sketchy as heck.

So are you likely still to have stock in October, or do they sell off the shelves as it were?

Cheers mate

The LYNX mod is available again next week with new firmware. Shipping to Australia is no problem. I already sent several LYNX mods and GG mods to Australia ;-)
The power consumption is about the same as before, but with new viewing experience :grin:

Fantastic, thanks for the reply.

Are these likely to sell out? As i'm away for a month, funds shall be tight and net access will be sketchy as heck.

So are you likely still to have stock in October, or do they sell off the shelves as it were?

Cheers mate

The coming batch is more than enough to have some left in October ;-)

I got the GG mod kit in today. Not counting the time spent taking unneeded parts out last week, the entire process took me about 90 minutes with frequent distraction to a movie on my TV. Memo to self: get 30 wires next time, 24 wires are too fat to really work with on the LCD connector!!!

zXt7zDo.jpg

The modded GG also had a recap last year. It is practically required to recap GG anyway, many are going bad and some are leaking now. If you haven't recapped it, get a cap kit from sources like console5 and do it, then test the GG before doing LCD mod.

I am able to use Everdrive without any issue playing GG games. But I can't play SMS games, it comes funny to me:

YZsAuo8.jpg

U77uGWx.jpg

I do not know if this is due to running SMS games through Everdrive GG or if it's SMS games itself. Before the mod (and on Majesco GG I have) SMS games played fine so it is not bad ROM issue. I don't have a converter or SMS games to check with. Any of you with modded GG able to play SMS via converter? Any of you able to use Everdrive GG with SMS games? Any other idea?

Edited by 7800fan

That is interesting. I have an adapter and sms games work fine on my modded GG. It must be something specific to your setup. Either your mid install or everdrive interaction. Adapters are pretty cheap, you should take the plunge and get one ;)

SMS games are not cheap. $50 for Phantasy Star for example. I'd rather not get another Everdrive to use with converter when I know ED GG worked fine with un-modded system.

I got the GG mod kit in today. Not counting the time spent taking unneeded parts out last week, the entire process took me about 90 minutes with frequent distraction to a movie on my TV. Memo to self: get 30 wires next time, 24 wires are too fat to really work with on the LCD connector!!!

zXt7zDo.jpg

The modded GG also had a recap last year. It is practically required to recap GG anyway, many are going bad and some are leaking now. If you haven't recapped it, get a cap kit from sources like console5 and do it, then test the GG before doing LCD mod.

I am able to use Everdrive without any issue playing GG games. But I can't play SMS games, it comes funny to me:

YZsAuo8.jpg

U77uGWx.jpg

I do not know if this is due to running SMS games through Everdrive GG or if it's SMS games itself. Before the mod (and on Majesco GG I have) SMS games played fine so it is not bad ROM issue. I don't have a converter or SMS games to check with. Any of you with modded GG able to play SMS via converter? Any of you able to use Everdrive GG with SMS games? Any other idea?

You have forgotten the wire from T10 to VCC. Just solder this wire and the GG is running perfect ;-)

Also if you use the Everdrive, some GG games are in SMS mode like Prince of Persia (the GG/SMS pin42 is open => "high", not connected to GND). Then you have to change the file format ".GG" to ".SMS".

T10 is wired to T11, this is 2 ASIC model.

EDIT: I tried Prince of Persia. With GG stuffix, it plays in normal color but is zoomed too much. When I changed to SMS stuffix, the image fits correctly but is now missing color and showing vertical lines like other SMS games I've tried.

Edited by 7800fan

T10 is wired to T11, this is 2 ASIC model.

EDIT: I tried Prince of Persia. With GG stuffix, it plays in normal color but is zoomed too much. When I changed to SMS stuffix, the image fits correctly but is now missing color and showing vertical lines like other SMS games I've tried.

It seems that the T10 circuit is faulty. With old LCD it displays always in GG mode, independent of the selected mode (GG or SMS)!

Please check, if T10 has connection to pin64 of the left ASIC (IC3). Also perhaps there is a short circuit on pin64 / T10 to GND.

Please check again, because it's the only possibility while having this error. If you still have this error, please take some pictures of your wiring.

Yay it works. The wire from T11 to T10 wasn't good. Somehow the wire came off T10 pad, it looks like I may have cut the wire end a little too deep when I stripped the insulation and somewhere along the way it broke off.

Now I can play Phantasy Star properly

FWIW anyone using Everdrive or other flash cart to play GG ROMs, take notice of the 12 known GG games that are actually SMS games in GG form:

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (USA, Europe)
Chase H.Q. (Japan)
Excellent Dizzy Collection, The (Europe)
Fantastic Dizzy (Europe)
Olympic Gold (Europe)
Out Run Europa (USA, Europe)
Predator 2 (USA, Europe)
Prince of Persia (USA, Europe)
R.C. Grand Prix (USA, Europe)
Rastan Saga (Japan)
Super Kick Off (Japan)

WWF Wrestlemania Steel Cage Challenge (Europe)

Just rename them to .sms on Everdrive and they will play properly. Otherwise they'd be zoomed too big.

EDIT: should be considerate, I got the list from Krikzz forum.

Edited by 7800fan
  • Like 1

Both the Lynx and GG mod kit is EUR 95. Shipping to USA is EUR 35, I don't know how much to other countries but it will be cheaper if you are in Europe.

Yes it may seems expensive but it's well worth the price of being able to see clearly like you can see with emulator on a PC monitor.

oh wow, Lynx with new firmware for scanlines is ready. Sweet.

McWill, i'll place my order in a couple of days, i need to really test the Lynx lot and see how many currently power up.

Does anyone on the forum know if the Lynx which don't power up (presumably they had the stupid power connector plugged into the same sized friggin headphone jack! ) are repairable?

I've heard mostly not.

If so, please point me to somewhere to inform me on that.

Thanks!

The next thing is to measure the 5V voltage. In my experience it is either completely unregulated or zero for the defect units. If it is zero there is some destroyed component bypassing all energy to ground. For finding the right component there are 0 ohm resistors on the motherboard that you can remove. Helps finding the bad part (and wastes lots of your time...).

When the voltages are ok you can start looking for the clock to see if the heart is beating at all and so on.

I have not fixed any really broken units. Most of the units just need removal of leaking batteries, a little re-solder and cleanup.

The power plug in the headphone fries the speaker making sound distorted and weak. The Lynx usually survives.

Edited by karri

That could be very very good news, as I was intending to do bestelectronics speaker upgrades too. I'll let you know, thanks!

The next thing is to measure the 5V voltage. In my experience it is either completely unregulated or zero for the defect units. If it is zero there is some destroyed component bypassing all energy to ground. For finding the right component there are 0 ohm resistors on the motherboard that you can remove. Helps finding the bad part (and wastes lots of your time...).

When the voltages are ok you can start looking for the clock to see if the heart is beating at all and so on.

I have not fixed any really broken units. Most of the units just need removal of leaking batteries, a little re-solder and cleanup.

The power plug in the headphone fries the speaker making sound distorted and weak. The Lynx usually survives.