IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

McWill, any way to just make the SGG mod the same mod for the other 2 systems mentioned? The PC Engine GT/NEC Turbo Express and the Sega Nomad?

I figure it's probably an issue of turning scaling off actually, but, you'd know much more having developed it.

At present I'm very busy with the LYNX mod and GG mod. But I try to finish the NOMAD mod and then the TE mod.

In september the next batch of LYNX mods and GG mods are available. I still have some GG mods left ;)

• Like 1

I'm totally for you doing the Nomad and TE mods, but, the TE Mod is gonna be tight with an extra board. I honestly just think those are bonus.

You made what was not working and filling drawers come back to life with the current mods. THOSE were important.

These are going to be more uphill battles, they are out there, they are done, they look great. RGB out will look better, but, on the little screens... Will it be worth the $80 more someone has to spend on that mod for the RGB crisp? That'll be a personal decision.

If you can just make the existing GG mod work for both of those, which I suspect you can, then don't spend any extra effort on them.

They are going to be premium mods.

Definitely do some fit tests on the TE before making plans, that thing's tight in there.

At present I'm very busy with the LYNX mod and GG mod. But I try to finish the NOMAD mod and then the TE mod.

In september the next batch of LYNX mods and GG mods are available. I still have some GG mods left ;)

I'm totally for you doing the Nomad and TE mods, but, the TE Mod is gonna be tight with an extra board. I honestly just think those are bonus.

You made what was not working and filling drawers come back to life with the current mods. THOSE were important.

These are going to be more uphill battles, they are out there, they are done, they look great. RGB out will look better, but, on the little screens... Will it be worth the $80 more someone has to spend on that mod for the RGB crisp? That'll be a personal decision.

If you can just make the existing GG mod work for both of those, which I suspect you can, then don't spend any extra effort on them.

They are going to be premium mods.

Definitely do some fit tests on the TE before making plans, that thing's tight in there.

TE has plenty of room if you remove the stock LCD. However 2.5" LCD may not be easy to find.

any option to do the firmware update yourself by chance?

YES! I already optimized some code of the firmware to get more free space in the CPLD and I have to make some tests.
The next batch will be delivered with scanlines and retro-style :-D

For all who wants to update their firmware: Send me an email and your LYNX mod. I'll update the firmware (10 EUR plus shipping cost).

YES! I already optimized some code of the firmware to get more free space in the CPLD and I have to make some tests.

The next batch will be delivered with scanlines and retro-style :-D

For all who wants to update their firmware: Send me an email and your LYNX mod. I'll update the firmware (10 EUR plus shipping cost).

Are you planning to come to the E-JagFest (all Atari systems, not only Jaguar) near Düsseldorf? Then it would be possible to upgrade the firmware at the JagFest without spending lots of $ on shipping a Lynx back and forth. Just sending the mod PCB would require to desolder the thing which is something I want to avoid.

Robert

McWill, you once said the further RGB screen mods would probably be build on the SGG mods anyway. Is that true? Not that we want 'control' of them anyhow.

Was there any way that you could add a tiny jumper or even a solder point jumper to open/close to set a firmware option that you could sell one board as either the SGG/ Nomad / or PCEGT/TE mod?

I'm just brainstorming here.

Cheers.

Are you planning to come to the E-JagFest (all Atari systems, not only Jaguar) near Düsseldorf? Then it would be possible to upgrade the firmware at the JagFest without spending lots of $ on shipping a Lynx back and forth. Just sending the mod PCB would require to desolder the thing which is something I want to avoid.

Robert

Yes, I'm on the Ejagfest too.

• Like 2

McWill, you once said the further RGB screen mods would probably be build on the SGG mods anyway. Is that true? Not that we want 'control' of them anyhow.

Was there any way that you could add a tiny jumper or even a solder point jumper to open/close to set a firmware option that you could sell one board as either the SGG/ Nomad / or PCEGT/TE mod?

I'm just brainstorming here.

Cheers.

Just the SGG and NOMAD have the same board. But there is not enough space for the SGG AND NOMAD. So the firmware is only for SGG or NOMAD.

For the TE, I'll design a new PCB, cause of the screw holes.

Yes, I'm both days on the ejagfest, because I'll sale my new mods there ;)

Wish I could make it this year, but alas can't afford a third weekend away on the trot! Maybe you should sponsor the checkered flag tournament? Would be amazing to 6 lynxes linked and all on vga screens!

I had a thought last night, has anyone tried the replacement game gear screen with the TV tuner? I know that the tuner itself is pretty useless now due to the digital age and it being analogue but the AV in port might make a nice monitor for testing purposes

Never in all my years of internet usage have I read so many posts. I honestly believe this is the first time I have read all posts in a thread over 10 pages (this is pushing close to 30!).

McWill, what you have done is simply amazing! I will be PMing you about a Lynx II mod. I will have to acquire one first, then wait until September's order.

I'm an old gamer that has logged many hours on an Atari 400, Atari ST and an Atari Lynx II. I used to play the Lynx all night while I was working nights at a gas station while I was in high school. Kept me awake, and kept me sane. Loads of fun.

The Lynx is long gone, but I as many of you are feeling the nostalgic itch that can only be scratched by experiencing those old games again.

Can't Wait!

Thanks McWill!

Zoyx, LOL, look at that. I've been 'Zoiks' for years on various forums. I got it from Scooby-Do of all places. Used to watch it a lot when I was a kid. Thought Thelma said 'Zoiks!'. It was only recently when I saw a Scooby-Do t-shirt with the word on it that I realized it was spelt incorrectly. Should have been 'Zoinks'. But I've been Zoiks for about 15 years now. so Zoiks it is.

How did you get yours?

Cheers

Edited by Zoiks

While I wait for the GG kit to show up, I went ahead and took my GG apart. I choose the older 2 ASIC model and I should warn those who isn't experienced with soldering iron, GG mod is a bit harder than Lynx mod.

xlz4E8R.jpg

those are the little pieces I've removed, missing 2 more transistors. Those are so tiny if you drop them, it's lost forever. For size comparison, the blue thing is a regular SD card. The only easy parts were the inductor, 2 capacitors, 2 fuses, the bulb, and the LCD panel. One needs a really fine tip soldering iron or a decent rework station to pull those tiny parts without melting other nearby parts.