IGNORED

How to construct a rarety guide

IBP

Number of cartridges produced is definitely the primary basis for rarity. Unfortunately, in almost all cases, those numbers are unknown...

This is one of the most frustrating things for me in this whole discussion. Unless the manufacturers were extremely disorganized, they HAD to have kept production records. SOMEWHERE that data existed (though it may well not have survived to today) and it would be so helpful to this process if we could somehow get our hands on it!

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a Ghost manor/spikes peak double ender during April, but it's not on your list? it wasn't a BIN, it was a bid. I got it off ebay.co.uk

Keep the updates coming as I find them interesting.

How does it differentiate from NTSC games listed?

my software only examines the name of the sale item. 90 percent of items have the cart name in the title and it picks up all of them - even spelling mistakes usually, but for example some say '6 RARE atari games 2600, l@@k' or something equally irritating, which I can't sort automatically. Checking the listing is easy, checking the body text of an individual auction is impossible I think.

If I have time I go through all of those by hand and add the games, but sometimes I havent got time and I might miss a few, I guess yours was one of them, clock, which is irritating because I was looking specifically for data on xonox stuff. I will add it now.

How does it distinguish NTSC? Erm...it doesn't. I will write in a bit to ignore any with NTSC in the title - to be honest I'd not thought about that until you mentioned it.

• 4 months later...

Don't know if anyone's still interested in this project but I've made some changes...

The software now looks through the item titles as before, but also the body text of the ebay item so it's finding a lot more carts - it now gets all those irritating ones which say "16 Atari Games LOOK!!!!!!!" in the listing.

Latest results attached.

totals_14_10_03.zip

Oh yeah, and another thing. I've changed the way web addresses are stored and processed so it is more fully automatic. It would be possible, for example, to easily change the software to track the whole world's ebay atari listing.

All that would then be required would be about 3 hours computing time when you wanted to run the checks. I've avoided this so far because my internet connecton ain't fast enough to deal with 4000 atari items in any time period less than that required to build mountains.

But if anyone feels like doing it, it could be done.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Nice list you made IBP, but i do have a few questions:

1) What does your software do with relistings? If a cart doesn't sell and it gets relisted, does it get counted again?

2) Are these only the carts offered on ebay.co.uk or also on the other european ebay sites?

I was also thinking that it might be a good idea to collect 'have' lists from european collectors to make an estimation of the rarity of carts. Only collecting data from ebay does not reveal the entire rarity of a cart in my opinion, since there are many other sources to get games from.

Cheers,

Raymond

• 1 month later...

If the game is relisted under exactly the same title within about 2 weeks then my software dumps it, if it relisted under a slightly different title, or after a few weeks, then there is no way I can systematically cope with that.

If it's something very rare then generally I check it out by hand, but not always.

As has been said on this thread what I am collecting is not a rarety guide, it's a frequency of occurence. I can loosely translate this into a rarety - for example I've been collecting data for nearly a year and my criteria for a rarety 6 is one occurence a year, so I have some sixes listed - Dark Cavern, The Year 1999 and Beam Rider for example.

It's a question of what you want, with over 10000 carts in my data set I think it's got to be one of the biggest samples of cart transactions around but is it a rarety guide? No, it's an ebay occurence guide. If you use it in that spirit then it's very useful.

At the moment I use it only for ebay uk, but it would be easy to produce a form for the rest of europe, or the whole world, if I was inclined. I may do that one of these days to see what would happen, the problem is that if I run the UK form every 2 days it takes about half an hour of computer time on my work broadband connection to get the data into the database. To run the whole world would, I guess, take about 6 hours which might just fall outside the realms of reasonable internet use at work.

Ebay is absolutely not the last word in game collecting, but in the UK it is as near to the last word as you can get. In 3 years of occasionally visiting car boot sales and thrift markets I have never seen an atari cart. On the other hand I have bought my collection of 250 different carts from ebay. It's different in the States and maybe in Europe but in the UK ebay is where it's at.

Latest list attached.

totals_17_12_03.zip

• 1 month later...

This would be because 'adventures of tron' has never come up. People probably just list it as 'tron' which is a 3 in my list.

Of course, this could also include 'tron: deadly discs' or 'tron deadly disks' or any other stupid mistakes that people, with no thought for my sanity, make when listing their carts on ebay.

I'm doing my the best I can with the material ;)