IGNORED

What did you buy today?.........

evilevoix

11 minutes ago, ClassicGMR said:

I sold my spare Super Everdrive and SNES this week so I scored my last gaming want for a long while... A softmodded Wii U. I have only put an hour or so on it but I already love it. :)

wii u.jpg

Have you tried playing Gamecube games on it yet? It can do that, you know, and it's all done natively, from what I understand!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Have you tried playing Gamecube games on it yet? It can do that, you know, and it's all done natively, from what I understand!

I did read that during my research that the Wii U can play 'cube games(just not from the factory) and the softmod unlocks the ability but I already have a GCLoader GameCube with a GBA player so that's covered. :)

12 minutes ago, ClassicGMR said:

I did read that during my research that the Wii U can play 'cube games(just not from the factory) and the softmod unlocks the ability but I already have a GCLoader GameCube with a GBA player so that's covered. :)

But the Gamecube doesn't have HDMI and the Wii U does! I've been considering hacking my Wii U for a few months for this reason, even though I left my Gamecube games in the USA. I did buy extra copies of Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 when I got here, though, so I have been looking at ways to play those again without having to set up the Wii and stuff, as I'd much rather have HDMI as it suits my setup much better... mainly so I don't have to sit on the floor to use my Trinitron since I'm too cheap to buy a chair or a TV stand!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

But the Gamecube doesn't have HDMI and the Wii U does!

I get that and I may try it in the future to see how they look but I have been very very happy with the MKII adapter I bought. And it's enough for me personally. :)

Pre-post EDIT: Having thought about it though... I could put the GameCube in the basement man-cave setup and keep the Wii U upstairs in the bedroom running everything. Definitely something to look into when it gets warmer (so I don't have to run the heater so much in the basement).

1 minute ago, ClassicGMR said:

I get that and I may try it in the future to see how they look but I have been very very happy with the MKII adapter I bought. And it's enough for me personally. :)

Pre-post EDIT: Having thought about it though... I could put the GameCube in the basement man-cave setup and keep the Wii U upstairs in the bedroom running everything. Definitely something to look into when it gets warmer (so I don't have to run the heater so much in the basement).

Yeah, the image quality is the thing that I don't know about, though. I know the Gamecube actually has better video than the Wii, apparently, so yeah. Something to test!

• Like 1

Eyyy a Wii U. Congrats. But if I had a Gamecube I'd use that to play GC games unless you have that special adapter that allows you to plug in GC controllers to a Wii U.

8 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

But the Gamecube doesn't have HDMI and the Wii U does! I've been considering hacking my Wii U for a few months for this reason, even though I left my Gamecube games in the USA.

You should absolutely mod your Wii U! Especially because of what it can be when modded. I've so far softmodded 3 consoles and all 3 of them turned out to be great. Just make sure to take precautions so your system isn't bricked.

• Like 1

I recently picked up an S-Video/AV modded SMS with an FM board, a controller and a few games for super dirt cheap. I got extremely lucky or the seller was amazingly charitable. I almost don't want to say where it came from... I feel like it was a steal. I thought it was too good to be true until it showed up. My eyeballs started to sweat from enjoyment and excitement. I'll post pics when I get home. At the office today.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bluejay said:

Eyyy a Wii U. Congrats. But if I had a Gamecube I'd use that to play GC games unless you have that special adapter that allows you to plug in GC controllers to a Wii U.

You should absolutely mod your Wii U! Especially because of what it can be when modded. I've so far softmodded 3 consoles and all 3 of them turned out to be great. Just make sure to take precautions so your system isn't bricked.

Yeah, I'll get around to it eventually. I did it to my Wii in like 2009~2010 or so and I was quite happy with the result. Same with my PSP go in 2012 or so. I actually still use that one with the dock for TV output on my Trinitron, as my monitor doesn't seem to like the PSP + OSSC combination, sadly, even with the new special PSP video mode.

Hacked Wii U is extremely useful, since it essentially turns it into a Gamecube+Wii+Wii U+HDMI all at the same time. All you really need at that point is the Gamecube controller adaptor and a storage device big enough to hold all of the games you want, as I think it still can't actually use real Gamecube discs. Might be wrong, though, as it's been a while since I looked into it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Hacked Wii U is extremely useful, since it essentially turns it into a Gamecube+Wii+Wii U+HDMI all at the same time. All you really need at that point is the Gamecube controller adaptor and a storage device big enough to hold all of the games you want, as I think it still can't actually use real Gamecube discs. Might be wrong, though, as it's been a while since I looked into it.

Exactly. The more I think about it the more I wish I'd just spend that extra $100 on the Wii U.

The U can't play physical GC disks. Well to be honest I think it would work if you insert the disc just right, but the U's drive simply isn't designed to handle the smaller GC disks.

And on top of everything, using emulation, it's pretty much the ultimate Nintendo system, with the ability to play pretty much every single previous Nintendo consoles' games to their fullest potential.

Now I really really wish I'd just gotten that Wii U instead of the Wii.

1 hour ago, bluejay said:

Exactly. The more I think about it the more I wish I'd just spend that extra $100 on the Wii U.

The U can't play physical GC disks. Well to be honest I think it would work if you insert the disc just right, but the U's drive simply isn't designed to handle the smaller GC disks.

And on top of everything, using emulation, it's pretty much the ultimate Nintendo system, with the ability to play pretty much every single previous Nintendo consoles' games to their fullest potential.

Now I really really wish I'd just gotten that Wii U instead of the Wii.

Yeah, the Wii U is a lot more useful than most think it is. Save some cash and get one if you can. It has native composite and native component for your CRT, native HDMI for modern displays, and has a lot of fun uses when hacked from what I have read. The thought of Rogue Squadron 2 running natively on my Wii U + HDMI is something that I'm really looking forward to having when I get around to it! All I have to do is hack the thing and get my game disc out of my closet to dump it and then I'm done aside from getting that controller adaptor.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluejay said:

Just a thought - feel free to ignore it. :)

A quick, dirty eBay search shows that a basic, good condition and working Wii setup with cords and a controller will probably go for more than $75. Add more if you have more games, controllers, mods, etc. Roll that into a Wii U if you're game. I paid $145.33 shipped for my Wii U and added $8 buying a used stand and charge dock from Amazon. I just needed to add an external USB drive and y-cable (I have both in abundance).

All told I sold my SNES and Krikzz for $150 shipped. So I ended up with about $125 after fees and shipping. I threw that onto the Wii U I bought so I spent $28 out of pocket.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cybercylon said:

I've been meaning to soft mod my Wii U for awhile, but I haven't gotten around to it. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I assume one needs to use an external storage device that is different than the one used for running it in normal mode.

As far as I remember, and how I have mine setup is that you will need a separate hard drive for wii/gc games on a fat32 partition than any with wiiu games on them. The wiiu formats the hard drive in a way that is not accessible to the user. That was years ago and I haven't touched anything wiiu in awhile but that's what I remember. I would also suggest looking into turning on stealth for your wii/gc HDD so the wiiu doesn't try to format it on every boot. 

On 12/11/2020 at 7:32 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Nope. Last I checked, the WiiU won't read GC discs. You have to do this tedious process where you pop the game in a regular modded Wii, run a homebrew program to dump the disc to ISO (and dump the save files if you need them), and then link the game to your Wiimote. Then you can bring the ISO and the Wiimote over to your modded WiiU and run them.

Also, I don't know if they've fixed it since then, but it won't run 4:3 games properly, it stretches them out to 16:9.

8 hours ago, cybercylon said:

I've been meaning to soft mod my Wii U for awhile, but I haven't gotten around to it. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I assume one needs to use an external storage device that is different than the one used for running it in normal mode.

All you have to do is softmod the Wii mode, which is exactly the same process as modding an actual Wii. You just need an SD card and a LEGO game.

Idunno if you can softmod WiiU mode, or what kind of benefits you'd get from it (aside from piracy). I can't imagine there's a very large homebrew community for it.

9 hours ago, Asaki said:

Nope. Last I checked, the WiiU won't read GC discs. You have to do this tedious process where you pop the game in a regular modded Wii, run a homebrew program to dump the disc to ISO (and dump the save files if you need them), and then link the game to your Wiimote. Then you can bring the ISO and the Wiimote over to your modded WiiU and run them.

Also, I don't know if they've fixed it since then, but it won't run 4:3 games properly, it stretches them out to 16:9.

All you have to do is softmod the Wii mode, which is exactly the same process as modding an actual Wii. You just need an SD card and a LEGO game.

Idunno if you can softmod WiiU mode, or what kind of benefits you'd get from it (aside from piracy). I can't imagine there's a very large homebrew community for it.

It looks like I wasn't clear what I was asking about (not even sure if if the Wii U side can me modded either). I have a HD that I used for external storage (DLC from the eshop, virtual console games, etc).  So, what I meant by "normal mode" is using the system as intended. If I decide to use external storage for homebrew and emulators, I assume that I will need a second drive

When I soft modded my Wii several years ago, I don't remember using a game. My memory is pretty fuzzy on what I did though.

16 hours ago, Asaki said:

Or you can download them from the internet.

14 hours ago, cybercylon said:

I have a HD that I used for external storage (DLC from the eshop, virtual console games, etc).  So, what I meant by "normal mode" is using the system as intended. If I decide to use external storage for homebrew and emulators, I assume that I will need a second drive

Oh, probably. I just have the internal storage all filled up, and all my homebrew stuff is on an SD card. I use the same card for my Wii, and some of my EverDrives.

I probably should look into a hard drive for it, since I can't fit any more DLC; BotW and Xenoblade took up a lot of space.

7 hours ago, bluejay said:

Or you can download them from the internet.

When I used it, they had anti-piracy measures in place. Someone must've hacked it (unsurprisingly). Or the dev decided they didn't care anymore.

5 hours ago, bluejay said:

By the way, you don't need a game to softmod a Wii. You can use a game, but it isn't necessary. I didn't have to use one when I softmodded mine a few weeks ago.

Oh, Bannerbomb? I don't think they had that when I modded my Wii.

But I'm looking at it right now, and it says Bannerbomb doesn't work on WiiU.