IGNORED

Revisions of the same game on the same system

Zap!

When xegs came out, a few of the old a8 games were totally redone for it--fully compatible with the old systems, just new versions. Mario Bros and choplifter come to mind has being totally different games in their xegs trim. Others got smaller changes--little intro screens and such.

mario comparison:

choplifter comparison:

Edited by Reaperman

more likely they were trying make more money selling new tips and hints books with the revised game genie codes.

Or maybe they fixed very minor bugs. Perhaps minor updating changed Game Genie codes completely.

Surprised that people didn't mention Ocarina of Time's revisions on the N64.

The original gold cartridge version (Which is what I have) had Ganondorf spitting blood out and had some glitches you could do only on this version.

Then there was the grey version which had the green particles out of Ganondorf and I think one of the grey versions had the fire temple music changed along with the Gerudo symbols (They were moon and star symbols on my game) due to racial concerns and finally the N64 logo's texture when you boot the game up looks like the one on Majora's Mask.

Also, Donkey Kong Country had a glitch where you could turn Winky into Rambi on Bounty Bonanza which you can't do on later cartridges. (I have a later version)

This is such a good topic, rife for compilation and enshrinement. My only contribution might not count, but the Japanese Final Fantasy IV had two versions out, easy type and hard type. The differences were made in order to make it easier (hidden passages were highlighted, magic spells wait time shortened) or simplified (easier names, less types of items).

• Like 1

...Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, also for the Genesis. The original version has Thriller clips in it. For some reason it was taken out (anyone know why?) in later copies.

I'm assuming it was taken out because it wasn't written by Michael Jackson.

It's funny, because even the arcade version used "Another Part Of Me" for the graveyard level. Why'd they get ballsy enough to try and sneak the song onto the home port?

I'm assuming it was taken out because it wasn't written by Michael Jackson.

It's funny, because even the arcade version used "Another Part Of Me" for the graveyard level. Why'd they get ballsy enough to try and sneak the song onto the home port?

I think Michael Jackson actually wrote very few of his songs.

So, any others?

I don't know if PC games count... but I distinctly remember two very different versions of X-COM 2 - Terror from the Deep.

For those who don't know, X-COM 2 was a lot like the first X-COM, except that it was all underwater. The initial release of the game was on floppy disk. The floppy disk version had several mission scenarios that basically had a crashed airplane that had been submerged underwater. Now, the crashed airplane had nothing at all to do with what was going on in the mission. Likely, there was an alien spacecraft that had landed (underwater), or you had shot it down. In either situation, depending on the location you land, and how far away from land you go... you might have the crashed airplane in your scenario. It was either a Boeing 747, or a MD-80 (or something of the sorts).

Now, I can't remember really when or what the timeframe was... maybe mid/late 90s? And I guess there had been several plane crashes. To clear any confusion, this was definitely prior to 9/11. In any case, whoever it was deemed the crashed airplanes to be too distasteful for the game. So in the CD release (which came out shortly there-after), the crashed airplane had been completely removed from any of the mission maps. :(

It was pretty cool... definitely added to the mystery, though... it didn't quite make much sense as to why there was a crashed airplane under the water, since it had nothing to do with what was going on in the game.

I think Michael Jackson actually wrote very few of his songs.

Well, that's a debate for another forum/thread... but, to just look at liner notes, it's credited to Rod Temperton. All other songs appearing in the games ARE credited with MJ as the songwriter so for all intents and purposes they ARE his songs.

Well, that's a debate for another forum/thread... but, to just look at liner notes, it's credited to Rod Temperton. All other songs appearing in the games ARE credited with MJ as the songwriter so for all intents and purposes they ARE his songs.

Yea, not trying to derail this thread but MJ did write most of his songs afaik. Bit of trivia: I recently read that he is the uncredited writer of Do The Bartman from The Simpsons Sing the Blues album.

I just acquired a copy of Moonwalker myself a few days ago, but haven't gotten to play it yet. I'll do that tonight to see which version I have. Very interesting thread! I really wish I had my original version 1 of Revenge of Shinobi. Why oh why did I sell all my games in college years ago???