IGNORED

600XL Keyboard Connector

atari8warez

I have this 600XL with what seems to be an extra keyboard connector board that goes between the keyboard connector on the motherboard and the 600XL keyboard ribbon cable. Did anyone see that before and know what it is used for?. This particular 600XL does not have any upgrades other than the 64K Ram mod.

Here's a photo of the extra connector board:

post-15627-0-76992900-1421990582_thumb.jpg

In my main 600XL I removed it. I have been using that 600XL for about 4 years with very much keyboard work (coding in assembler) and never had a single issue.

One thing to add though… I removed the PCB keyboard with a Mylar version. It had originally the most awful keyboard possible, and I had a defect 800XL floating around, with a very nice keyboard. So I took that keyboard (with the mylar foil connector) and connected that directly to the main board of the 600XL.

But indeed… I have heard it has a functionality. IIRC … when you make certain key combinations (you press simultaneously certain keys) there could go something wrong, but like I wrote above: heavily used 600xl here, mylar foil keyboard, not that part from your picture, not a single issue ever.

It has another advantage if you remove the keyboard cable very much for work inside the A8. It should be much more durable for repetitive insertion/removal. I have an 800XL with a messed up keyboard cable, so I carefully stripped the insulation and plugged it into the 600XL connector. Now I can remove/insert it without fear of damaging the cable further. It does make a snug fit in an 800xl, but still closes up OK. Incidently, my 800XL keyboard works perfectly with whatever added resistance there is.

-Larry

• Like 1

It is about 465Ohm per resistor, this one isn't a mylar foil keyboard, and yes it makes safer for multiple removal/insertions, I guess I just have to find a way to make it fit properly with the U1MB upgrade in the vicinity.

When I look into my own 600XL i see no difference in the motherboard as far as the keyboard circuitry is concerned, so the resistor pack must have something to do with the keyboard itself.

Thank you guys for the tips.

post-15627-0-39147100-1422042108_thumb.jpg

Edited by atari8warez

From all the 600XL machines I had the chance to peek into only two (NTSC-types, Chelco made) were missing this Adapter. It's purpose is to debounce the keyboard.

that doesn't really make sense since the OS has it's own software debounce. There'd have to be capacitors to debounce the KB. More likely, it's this: mylar KB's have a built in resistance because of the nature of their construction, while keyboards with mechanical switches have a lot less resistance. So this board may have been present to add the proper amount of resistance to the keyboard to allow the POKEY to scan properly without issues.

Regardless, I'm sure atari added it for a reason, so I'd leave it in if it's not a big deal to build around it.

• 4 years later...

Bump.

Was there ever a real reason this board was used? It almost makes sense for it to be on specific keyboard types for resistance... but I have yet to find it on any of my 600XLs with various keyboard types. I'm just wondering. I've never really explored or worked on 600XLs that much and just started to recently.

The type of keyboard used is known as a "Low-resistance contact" keyboard, the
resistance being about 1000 ohms or so. As you use the keyboard, the
resistance of the contacts tend to go up as it wears and oxidizes.

For the regular keyboard and the RESET key this increase in resistance causes

no problems as of yet but time passes (decades) keys will begin to cease registering. But the
console keys (OPTION, SELECT, and START) are read by a different IC, and
the change in resistance will eventually keep the console keys from
working. (The HELP key is actually read as just another letter key).

The fix to the problem is to decrease just enough resistance by either adding resistors in parallel

for the keys so that it is high enough not to make the computer read the key
as pressed, but low enough that when the console key is pressed, the
computer will recognize it.

I've probably messed up some values or added a zero or whatever over the years as I forget more and more of this stuff. so look up and experiment or correct the values the design is the same... you can fix a mylar keyboard that has gone oxidative by fiddling with either paralleling the resistors or replacing them with lower values/ changing the resistor out.

The connector with the resistors should remain in, it has more than one purpose, both electronic, and mechanical.

• Like 2

Also check out stuff written by Alan Haskell in the book "Mods,
Fixes, and Upgrades" available from Best Electronics, 2021 The lameda,
Suite 290, San Jose, Ca.5126.

leave the board in the computer, it's a happy thing.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2