IGNORED

Boulder Dash 2600 for $1,399.99 ?

Thomas Jentzsch

• 4 weeks later...

Auction prolonged by one month, price back to $1.399,99 again.

Looks like he is really trying hard to find an idiot.

Sheeze, man. Give up already or lower the price. Take off 25% every month it doesn't sell until it does.

If anyone here has a copy for sale for a reasonable price, i would be more than interested,

I let mine go in November 2013 for $125. It's probably worth more than that by now though. :P

I know what I'd do. I'd sell it for one million dollars. With that much money, I could take over the world.

Inserts Dr Evil Meme.

rMsDvXU.jpg

Edited by stardust4ever

May I ask you why?

Judging from the latest eBay auctions ~$200.

It was really hard to get into. Nothing against it and a very impressive engine you had running, but IMO the stripes took getting used too and visible area playfield was too small. Sound effects were incredible though. If somebody ever does a 7800 port, I'd love to keep the sound.

Mainly though I was short on cash at the time and needed the money. We've all been there... :P

Edited by stardust4ever

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I was thinking of something kind of like this the other day. Princess Rescue and Boulder Dash can no longer be sold on the AtariAge store (for different reasons, I know), but this guy and others like him can still (try to) sell copies on ebay for big markups and the developers get nothing.

Why should the developer get paid twice? Reminds me of when Lucas felt it was unfair people could buy a VHS of StarWars and watch it as many times as they want. He believed the viewer should have to pay each time it was viewed, lol

Its plain and simple, developers should have no reason to get upset their out of print game is being flipped for profit. They were paid the original amount they asked for the game, it wasnt stolen. It is no longer in print, so no affect on their sales. In the case of Boulder dash, it sold out, so they had a best case scenario. Not all homebrews sell 200 copies, believe me. So if anything, they should be flattered it is still so in demand that after a complete best case scenario sell out people are willing to pay double its original price to have one. Really, I think it would make them smile, not feel they deserve some of the profit in a game they already sold.

By the way, obviously this $800+ one is silly but you mentioned "sellers" so I assume you are talking about the ones that actually sell for 300% mark ups

Who said so? I only want the game in the hand of real fans and not profiteers.

KaeruYojimbo said so, he mentioned anger from people flipping the game for profit while the developers get nothing.

C'mon though Thomas, you are no dummy. Limited edition stuff goes up in value, if you don't want that to happen, well, don't make limited edition games :)

Sure I knew that well before. And I have no problem if someone is now selling his copy and asking a reasonable price. But this here is different.

BTW: If there would have been any option, the game would still be in the store and the ROM would have been released long ago.

• Like 1

Sure I knew that well before. And I have no problem if someone is now selling his copy and asking a reasonable price. But this here is different.

BTW: If there would have been any option, the game would still be in the store and the ROM would have been released long ago.

I know you would man, I own all your games and follow your work :)

Yes, the ebay one is silly but I don't think it's a serious auction....

It's a trick used to get people to look at your other auctions. You put a game up ridiculously high, that will generate a lot of attention and maybe even get a link or two posted on forums. Then the people inevitably look at the "other" auctions of the same seller to see what other ridiculous prices he has...then some see something they need at a reasonable or maybe a little high price and buy it ;)

^^Actually it's kinda like the Pawn Stars effect. Tourists will go into a high profile Pawn shop to look at high dollar items, then they buy something cheaper. That's why they can afford to pay 60 cents on the dollar to have high end merch sit for years. That and TV royalties also help. It basically generates traffic, increasing sales of meat and potatoes. Sure they may offer caviar, but the meat and potatoes make up the bulk of their daily business.

KaeruYojimbo said so, he mentioned anger from people flipping the game for profit while the developers get nothing.

C'mon though Thomas, you are no dummy. Limited edition stuff goes up in value, if you don't want that to happen, well, don't make limited edition games :)

I never meant that the developer should be paid twice. When you or I or whoever buys a movie, album, game or whatever, the creator gets his agreed upon share for that copy and the buyer is free to do whatever after that (short of copying it and selling the copies of course). The point I was trying to make is that in the case of Boulder Dash and Princess Rescue, since they are no longer sold through regular retail or whatever the equivalent is, the creators can no longer make anything from their work while speculators and profiteers jack up the prices and make huge profits.

I think mostly my issue is that some of these ebay sellers are just that, speculators and profiteers, like the guys in the 80s and 90s who would buy up the entire stock of a comic book they thought would go up in price to sell at huge markups to actual fans who couldn't buy them at the regular price because some jerk came in and snatched them all up.

• Like 1