IGNORED

music player with low cpu usage?

What to explore? The A8 has no math Co-Processor. So any calculation means lost CPU cycles.

It's as I wrote above. Using a "Runtime" that only acts on changes and does nothing when no change is needed.

I'd say as others, explain more.

How do you decide if something changes? When 90% of the tracker code is executed? then you can do the next 10% as well.

Maybe I am still to preoccupied with the buffer idea. Because if it works like I hope it will be a nice solution for MY purposes.

Maybe it's worth, too, to dig into RMT replayer itself to see where improvements can be made...

Fex. What is the optimized player in RMT?

A reducing of the player , well, remove every automation from it. Just use all 9 registers and only store the changes. When writing a tune, it means just to use command 3 and 4 . And to use some counters (ofcourse only adding and comparing) .

When in the RMT a note gets changed, it belongs to channel 1 and 3 (for filter) . If no changes happen, you could do the "simple" packer, just like : If 10 times nothing happens, it just counts a value, does the change, resets the value. This is only needed for the envelope. For the pattern change, just read the value and write the value....

channel 0 and 2 in the other frame 1 and 3 ... only AUDCTL should be changeable with every "VBI cycle" .

• 2 weeks later...

I remember I made the "gamedesigner's kit" for turbobasic programmers, which was a ml-routine running in vertical blank, that handled different things at the same time:

- playing music

- playing sound effects

- moving players horizontally

- switching character sets

the routine was about 500 bytes in size and could be placed freely in memory. music could be up to 4 channels, with envelopes etc. simple to use and easy to integrate.