IGNORED

music player with low cpu usage?

as everybody uses the RMT... I know that there are Delta Composer which is used in Asskicker demo... I was wondering what is the best player in terms of cpu cycle usage? CMC? MPT? or any other?

I am asking because right now in my latest projects RMT sux too much cycles I have to admit...

• Like 1

This subject came up in a previous thread, I also would like to know how many cycles different sound engines take. I was told that RMT changes depending on the complexity of the tune, but how many cycles wasn't stated. Another engine I used to use is called Torsten Karwoth's soundmon, originally only 4 channels, though, I do believe there is an 8 channel version. This engine takes approx. 2.5 scan-lines per frame (the 4 channel version).

Edited by ac.tomo

Oh... good old T. Karwoths Soundmon? I used that in my first productions dated back 1990... Jesus... totally forgot...

researches showed me that there are quite a lot soundtrackers:

- CMC

- MPT

- TMC

- RMT

- Future Composer

- Delta Composer

- Peter Finzel (those were times) Soundmachine

- T. Karwoth's Soundmonitor

Edited by Heaven/TQA

Black magic composer was another, though, this does take a lot of time, not one of the better ones I believe. There's also pro-tracker, which is capable of some very nice digitized musix, allowing for frequency control with each digi. Neotracker is also apparently another good one, though, time wise, how much they take I don't know, all I know is that they usually execute during the VBlank and quite often, musix trackers (engines) that run during the VBlank don't usually leave that much time for anything else (during the VB).

I am asking because right now in my latest projects RMT sux too much cycles I have to admit...

Why not implement the idea Rybags, I guess it was him - if not he posts so many good things that the probability is high, had years ago.

Let the RMT-player output its POKEY values in a ring-buffer, and copy them to the registers in the VBI (or DLIs). It cannot go any faster than that.

The idea would be that you the program has enough CPU at some time. For example, in a scrolling game (or demo screen) you have to copy new gfx data. However, only in every e.g. 4th frame, so you have three frames to pre-render the sound data.

Mostly my programs do most of the stuff in DLIs and the VBI. And I have a main-loop to do things which doesn't need to be done every frame - like counting score or advancing the timer display or stuff like that. However, in many frames the loop is idle and can happily pre-render music ;)

TBH, I haven't really thought that trough and I realise it is actually not easy, as you need to keep track and not to render too much or too little.But it should get the idea across.

If I missed something, someone (maybe Rybags) will tell us where I went wrong ;)

• Like 1

On my list is render the song to dump data and store that in extra ram bank... No need for ring buffering then.... VBL would take 9 values (?) of pokey and paste them into hardware... But would little bit overkill ;)

You demo coders suck :)

I aim for 64k (well, 62k).

But, if you rewrite the RMT-player to render into a bank, it would be easier fo rme to modify it use ring-buffers ;)

Although, 9 values you say? that means over 2k on ring-buffers (as a page per value is the easiest way to do it). Anyhow, going to bed now...

You demo coders suck :)

I aim for 64k (well, 62k).

But, if you rewrite the RMT-player to render into a bank, it would be easier fo rme to modify it use ring-buffers ;)

Although, 9 values you say? that means over 2k on ring-buffers (as a page per value is the easiest way to do it). Anyhow, going to bed now...

Not all software needs 62K, there are loads of excellent games that take as little as 16K. @creature, and as for demo-coders, it's those people who break down the barriers of impossibility & discover newer & better ways of doing things.

point aired.

Edited by ac.tomo

Nah, overkill for me (aside from a great Motorhead track) is to not have any RMT player on the A8 at all.

Have the RMT composer app itself output the whole 9-byte dump stream and then:

a) take each byte stream and convert the values to the movement size (note 1)

b) Huffman analyse the frequencies of the resulting values (note 2)

c) encode each stream using the table produced.

Alternatives would be to make a) optional (leave values as is) and/or for b) & c) be to replaced with run-length-encoding.

note 1: i.e. new value - old value but as this only gives us -127 -> +127

So -128 (b10000000) could be used as an escape to have the following byte set the new value.

note 2: bit of extra memory space wasted needing to save the table in addition to the encoded song data.

Therefore a small playback routine can get the next byte from each of the the 9 streams and then pump these to the Pokey registers.

Benefit... more CPU time for your super screen/sprite code. Potential space savings by the compression on the raw Pokey data and size of playback routine.

Disadvantages... probably a PITA to implement... even the compressed data may end up larger than the actual RMT song/pattern/instrument data :(

Other considerations... sound effects?.... 50/60Hz need different initial outputs?

Edited by Wrathchild

Yep, I had the idea of buffering - it's advantageous in situations where you might have a mix of frames with spare time and those with next to none (and in a deterministic way).

I also had the idea of simply churning the register output to a file then using that dump (preferably with some compression) for playback.

VBlank for tracker calls isn't really critical, it can happen any time. What is important is the actual stuffing of notes into registers, that should be done in some sort of timed fashion, although we get away with composing RMT stuff for PAL and skipping every 6th frame's playback call if it's running on an NTSC system.

Realistically though, a compressed playback system is likely to take 3 scanlines or more - probably slightly less time than a "slack" RMT call. The songs that have the background colour change are good indicators of the fluctuating time for RMT calls.

People often wondered about the clearness of some Basic programmed tunes.

It's simple as that. They're not stuck at a VBI doing changes on POKEY's registers. Start a note is some Pokes, do variations, is some pokes, and the tune itself plays on a "realtime" counter, depending on the speed of the played note, the volume gets a correction every second, instead of every VBI Cycle, which also solves the 50/60hz problem.

Btw: This would also work with using POKEYs modulation features.

Not all software needs 62K, there are loads of excellent games that take as little as 16K. @creature, and as for demo-coders, it's those people who break down the barriers of impossibility & discover newer & better ways of doing things.

I tried to express I try to squeeze my GAMEs into 62k instead of using extended RAM as Heaven suggested for his DEMOs.

And I know pretty well what demos are about. The fact I haven't released a hi-profile demo on the A8 does not mean I don't know one thing or the other about them. ;)

EDIT:

By now I have realised that for games the POKEY-pre-render-streaming is useless as long as SFX use the RMT-routines as well :(

EDIT 2:

Another problem for games. Take "heli in the Caves". The tune changes when you enter a shop and gets changed back to the normal song when leaving.

Or imagine a game (like Metroid on the NES f.e.) where you get a jingle when you collect something essential. Either not possible with streaming or uses a lot of space as you have multiple song-stream data lying around.

Again, possible in a demo not so useful in "complexer" games.

For now I still prefer the buffed version, as I know for certain, as stated in that post, I have (almost deterministic) frames where lots of CPU power is wasted.

Edited by Creature XL

Have the RMT composer app itself output the whole 9-byte dump stream and then:

a) take each byte stream and convert the values to the movement size (note 1)

b) Huffman analyse the frequencies of the resulting values (note 2)

c) encode each stream using the table produced.

This is basically what .YM files are, the values for each register are taken once a frame and stored as streams, with the final file then optionally being compressed (can't remember if it's LHA or LZH off the top of my head but you can just change the extension to open it). The converter for my Apple II Mockingboard driver takes an unarchived YM, rips the streams out, nudges the frequencies and RLE encodes the result, so the output is inefficient for memory but quite quick to play back.

yeah... look how much a Stereo RMT track needs cycles per frame... and a 9 byte RLE encoded stream could be the way to go. I definitly will try...

right now RMT costs me 1 FPS. Oxyron used on c64 similar method in some productions btw.

re: sound fx... right now we even have no sound fx library (not RMT)... I have no clue how... Look like RoF, Koronis Rift, Alley Cat, Star Raiders etc programmed sound. I am totally newbie on this field... Does anyone have experience in programming "explosions" etc?

yeah... look how much a Stereo RMT track needs cycles per frame... and a 9 byte RLE encoded stream could be the way to go. I definitly will try...

right now RMT costs me 1 FPS. Oxyron used on c64 similar method in some productions btw.

re: sound fx... right now we even have no sound fx library (not RMT)... I have no clue how... Look like RoF, Koronis Rift, Alley Cat, Star Raiders etc programmed sound. I am totally newbie on this field... Does anyone have experience in programming "explosions" etc?

Just for simplicity the guys doing msx (and sfx) for me (505 and OSon) use RMT.

It's just an instrument. Which you can trigger with a call the RMT-player (Offset +15 or +9? dunno).

That is not to say that I am of the opinion that the sfx used by me are awesome :)

Check my signature link the my NYD 2013 video there are explosions from 505.

Guess basically it's fast Attack and slow Decay. Waveform is essentially noise.

yeah... Miker did Griddrunner SFX in RMT (uj... do I need to release the final since years... :D) but I want to have RMT for our music guys and then "export" "compress" stuff in production. but RLE plus 9 bytes per frame sounds not bad... (very optimistic).

SFX I was interested in "old fashion" programmed way... means BASIC or assembler... (sound FX in BASIC can be transfered to high level).

Edited by Heaven/TQA

yeah... Miker did Griddrunner SFX in RMT (uj... do I need to release the final since years... :D) but I want to have RMT for our music guys and then "export" "compress" stuff in production. but RLE plus 9 bytes per frame sounds not bad... (very optimistic).

SFX I was interested in "old fashion" programmed way... means BASIC or assembler... (sound FX in BASIC can be transfered to high level).

You are really trying to do such a compressed version? that would be cool!

Programming sfx... same way as in basic. Using tables should be appropriate as you have not so much sfx and they are mostly short.

But I guess you know that. Therefore, I am not sure if I got your question. When it is about the actual values you have to use then ask the msx guys. Let them do it in RMt and just build tables according to their instrument settings.

Or rephrase your question :)

here is my dumper... done in 20 min at lunchbreak...

* RMT steamer 
* exporter

msx  equ $3200
rmtplayer equ $3c00
dump equ $4000 ; $0c00 per $d20x stream

stereomode = 0

org $2000
init
jmp testplay

lda #0
ldx #<msx
ldy #>msx
jsr rmtplayer

loop 
lda #0
sta $d01a
lda $d40b
cmp #$40
bne loop
lda #15
sta $d01a
; lda:cmp:req 20      ;wait 1 frame
jsr rmtplayer+3
lda #0 
sta $d01a
lda dump_d200+2
cmp #$4c
bcc loop

jmp loop

testplay
lda $d40b
cmp #$40
bne testplay

; lda:cmp:req 20      ;wait 1 frame
lda #15
sta $d018 
dumpad lda dump
sta $d200
lda dump+$0c00
sta $d201
lda dump+2*$0c00
sta $d202
lda dump+3*$0c00
sta $d203
lda dump+4*$0c00
sta $d204
lda dump+5*$0c00
sta $d205
lda dump+6*$0c00
sta $d206
lda dump+7*$0c00
sta $d207
lda dump+8*$0c00
sta $d208
;
.rept 9
inc dumpad+1+#*6
bne @+
inc dumpad+2+#*6
@
.endr
lda #0
sta $d018
jmp testplay  

;horror 40 sec * 50 ticks per frame = 2000 bytes per stream = 9 steam = 18000 bytes
org msx
ins "horror_3200.rmt",6
org rmtplayer
icl "rmtplayr_dumper.asm"

org dump
ins "pokey_dump.dat"

run init

post-528-0-91608500-1422621130_thumb.png

post-528-0-89282200-1422621143_thumb.png

RMT Dumper.zip