IGNORED

Intellivisionaries episode 16 is live!

Next up: Learning Fun? Learning Fun??? Again you'll sidestep the category that set the Intellivison apart from other systems of the day – sports titles? Baseball(s) is the only episode so far out of the 16 to cover this important part of the Intv catalog. May I humbly suggest that football(s) would be an excellent choice for an upcoming installment. Heck, I'll even get you started...

Please ask Keith why the tackled player looks so much like the trucker mudflap girl. Did the programmers have long commutes to work that kept them stuck in traffic behind 18 wheelers? Were truck stops a favorite gathering place for the Blue Sky Rangers?

Once you notice the strong resemblance to the mudflap silhouette, all sorts of disturbing images start showing up at the end of plays. Get the kids out of the room!

attachicon.giffb 1.pngattachicon.giffb 2.pngattachicon.giffb 3.png

But seriously, I love the podcasts, and this latest on Thunder Castle has me wanting to check out a game I've barely looked at. Thanks for continuing to put out such a fun, quality show. Oh, and please, please consider reviewing the football games. :)

I couldn't agree more! I've talked to Paul several times about this, but there are also two other guys that need to agree in doing so. Based on the episode "Baseball(s)", I think the other guys would rather make a trip to the dentist than review another sports game! :-D

Seriously though, if/when they do a show on the football games, it MUST include Super NFL Football (besides NFL Football & Super Pro Football). Thanks to the wonderful world of emulation, I would be willing to do a review of that game since it is my favorite of the football games (regardless of the bugs it contains). I'm also looking forward to hockey. Maybe they should call that episode "Puck(s)"! ;-)

• Like 1

Please ask Keith why the tackled player looks so much like the trucker mudflap girl. Did the programmers have long commutes to work that kept them stuck in traffic behind 18 wheelers? Were truck stops a favorite gathering place for the Blue Sky Rangers?

Once you notice the strong resemblance to the mudflap silhouette, all sorts of disturbing images start showing up at the end of plays. Get the kids out of the room!

attachicon.giffb 1.pngattachicon.giffb 2.pngattachicon.giffb 3.png

Oh dear Grond, I don't think I can unsee those images. LOL!

My attitude towards games of the late 1970s and 1980: if it has the word "fun" in the title, it probably isn't.

This probably comes from my grandfather on mom's side got a TI-99/4a but only bought educational titles. My other grandfather on my dad's side got an Intellivision. Guess which one I collect. :-)

That said, there are some of the mini-games in the Intellivision "______ Fun" titles. I enjoy these educational games more as an adult then I recall semi-enjoying the TI-99/4a games when I was a child.

• Like 1

Well, apparently those games failed. I mean, if you learned fun in Learning Fun I, why would a sequel be necessary? Did you forget how to fun? Or is simply that there are so many kinds of fun to be learned that they couldn't all fit onto one cartridge?

Too bad the plans were scrapped for Infinite Series Fun, Differential Fun, Integral Fun, et. al...

• Like 3

Well, apparently those games failed. I mean, if you learned fun in Learning Fun I, why would a sequel be necessary? Did you forget how to fun? Or is simply that there are so many kinds of fun to be learned that they couldn't all fit onto one cartridge?

Too bad the plans were scrapped for Infinite Series Fun, Differential Fun, Integral Fun, et. al...

You make a fine point, Steve. That said, perhaps they thought it would take more than one release for you to really LEARN fun. Maybe since there was no Learning Fun 3, or Congratulations, you are now FUN, none of us truly ARE fun?

When you finally do the sports episode in the future make you you mention Slam Dunk. I have played that game to death and it holds up well. It was so advanced with drafting players and players fowling out, players react to their own stats for shot accuracy and endurance. It is in my top 5.

• Like 1

When you finally do the sports episode in the future make you you mention Slam Dunk. I have played that game to death and it holds up well. It was so advanced with drafting players and players fowling out, players react to their own stats for shot accuracy and endurance. It is in my top 5.

Oh, absolutely! I picked that up at the one and only INTV Store / office (it was a small storefront in an office complex) in Torrance, CA back in 1988 or 1989. Fantastic game. Ahead of it's time, and beyond what I ever thought the system was capable of doing. Love the player names! We'll definitely be covering that one.

But yeah, getting to what others here brought up, it's a bit of an uphill battle with Rick and Will when it comes to covering sports games. I love 'em. They...... not so much.

• Like 1

Huh?

Is that a reference to my sarcasm, or am I missing something?

Believe it or not, it's meant as a compliment. :)

By weird coincidence, my season tickets for hockey are seated directly in front of 2 guys, one of which is a dead ringer for Norm Macdonald. His buddy kinds sounds like him, too. So my ears are acutely sensitive to what we now describe as "The Norms".

Listening to the podcast this morning, I noticed an eerie similarity. Am I the only one who's noticed this? Or am I just seeing patterns that don't exist? Has no one in your life ever mentioned this?

Edited by freeweed
  • Like 1

Believe it or not, it's meant as a compliment. :)

By weird coincidence, my season tickets for hockey are seated directly in front of 2 guys, one of which is a dead ringer for Norm Macdonald. His buddy kinds sounds like him, too. So my ears are acutely sensitive to what we now describe as "The Norms".

Listening to the podcast this morning, I noticed an eerie similarity. Am I the only one who's noticed this? Or am I just seeing patterns that don't exist? Has no one in your life ever mentioned this?

Nope, no one has ever mentioned that to me (and I assume you're referring to my voice, not Rick or Will's).

I'll take it as a compliment though. Norm is great!

:-D

Nope, no one has ever mentioned that to me (and I assume you're referring to my voice, not Rick or Will's).

I'll take it as a compliment though. Norm is great!

:-D

It might be an effect of the mic you use - ask family/friends, now I'm curious if I'm insane or not.

And no, not Rick or Will. Rick DOES sound like "someone", but more in the generic sense. He sounds like a lot of radio personalities. He really reminds me of some of the guys who do talk radio hockey chat up in the Great White North. Will sounds like an everyman. The 3 of you make a nice mix, now that I think about it. The DJ, the comedian, and the guy next door.

OK, now I gotta ask - I assume you 3 live far apart, and this is all done via something Skype-ish? It really sounds like you're in the same room. I'd expect more talking over each other if it's done remotely; do you have to do edits to deal with latency?

Edited by freeweed

It might be an effect of the mic you use - ask family/friends, now I'm curious if I'm insane or not.

And no, not Rick or Will. Rick DOES sound like "someone", but more in the generic sense. He sounds like a lot of radio personalities. He really reminds me of some of the guys who do talk radio hockey chat up in the Great White North. Will sounds like an everyman. The 3 of you make a nice mix, now that I think about it. The DJ, the comedian, and the guy next door.

OK, now I gotta ask - I assume you 3 live far apart, and this is all done via something Skype-ish? It really sounds like you're in the same room. I'd expect more talking over each other if it's done remotely; do you have to do edits to deal with latency?

Paul can correct me on this, but if I recall correctly from what the guys have said in past podcasts, they do use Skype. Paul lives in southern CA (near LA), Rick lives in the Pittsburgh area, and Will is up near me in Mass, near Boston.

Paul can correct me on this, but if I recall correctly from what the guys have said in past podcasts, they do use Skype. Paul lives in southern CA (near LA), Rick lives in the Pittsburgh area, and Will is up near me in Mass, near Boston.

They're definitely more polite and well-organized than most multi-person Skype calls I've ever been on, then. Gotta give 'em credit for that. Unless Paul spends hours editing out the "Skype effect".

I'd kinda like to see a quick 2 minute segment on "how this podcast is produced", from that standpoint. All the music, sound effects, etc - that's straightforward. But the simple act of a 3-way conversation on a laggy communications medium can be tricky. I guess if they do video chat as well, it makes it slightly easier.

• Like 1

Yep, SoulBlazer is right. I'm in Los Angeles, Rick is in Pittsburgh, and Will is in Mass.

I've used a few different mics throughout the podcast episodes, so I don't believe that's a factor.

As for Skype... I use a MacBook for that, which runs into my mixer. My mic is on one channel, Rick and Will on the other. All signals are run through a compressor/limiter with noise gate, before being sent to my Windows PC recording software (I use an oldie but a goodie called Cool Edit 2000 for that).

I do edit out obvious things, like large silence gaps, coughs, the parts where we are discussing the next topic or segment, and the occasional flub (I save those for the outtakes at the end). I find it makes the show more enjoyable, more listenable. There are a lot of podcasts where those things are left in, and after a while, it becomes tiresome. It sounds unpolished. And, seeing as I'm a bit of an audio perfectionist, it bugs me to NOT put out the most polished show I can.

As for talking over each other, we've gotten pretty good at working together, and we don't seem to run into that too often. Naturally, it happens, and I usually don't do anything about it when it does, except in cases where it's something worth hearing, and the talking over one another makes that difficult, we will either restate it then and there, while recording (and I'll edit out the talking over each other bit later). Or, in cases where we don't fix it while recording, when I'm listening back and editing, I can separate us for clarity if needed - since we are on separate tracks in the recording.

Of course, things can be further tightened up during production (I use Cuabse for that), where I try to make all the individual segments, sound effects, bumpers and music flow together well, without gaps. And a subtle thing I do which most people probably don't even notice is that if it's a musical section ending, going into another - like a segment intro - I start the next segment on the downbeat of the ending segment for continuity and flow. This goes back to my days as a DJ, when I did a lot of mixing and beat matching.

I don't find a tremendous amount of lag in our Skype conversations. Part of that has to do with the fact that we turn off video completely. Audio only. Less bandwidth, better response time.

I suppose I could put together a video of the whole process some time. That may be of interest to some of our listeners.

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 4

I've talked to Paul a bit about this in the past, and I would also love for them to cover more of the sports games for the Intelivision. This is what sold the system back in the day, after all. It had some really great games -- not just the baseball games that they already covered, but NFL Football and the basketball and hockey games....heck, even Spiker is a lot of fun. And I love sports games....I'm a huge sports fan, so I always am playing sports games. I'm the guy who will happily buy the new Madden each year and hack away on it for hours at a time, enjoying the fantasy and simulation of running my own team or beating my friends online.

But as Paul said, he's going to have a tough time getting Rick and Will on board. :P

How about a compromise, Paul? You feature some games that both Rick and Will really enjoy, and then you demand NFL Football in return? :lol:

• Like 1