IGNORED

Atari VCS 2600 Retro Memory Game

apemaster

I'd probably leave out that X rated turd...

It's too bad about the Custer's Revenge characters.

Part of the charm of the old Atari games is that it required a bit of imagination to visualize what the pixelated sprites were supposed to represent. Retrory looks well thought out and appears to be of a very high quality of construction. Playing it with friends, commenting on which images were the best representations, which were the toughest to picture, and reminiscing about the games they came from would be fun!

However, for me the Custer's Revenge cards would make for very uncomfortable moments. The fact that the characters come from a rape themed game severely tarnishes what would have been a very cute card game.

It's too bad about the Custer's Revenge characters.

However, for me the Custer's Revenge cards would make for very uncomfortable moments. The fact that the characters come from a rape themed game severely tarnishes what would have been a very cute card game.

The Custer's Revenge was a wish from one of the early orders, when it still was in "pick your game" status.

But no need to be sad: You can just take the two cards you don't like and throw them away. Voila!

And if you want it really "clean", black out the tow images in the instructions, too.

Basically, the game works with any number of cards. You can take out any pair of cards you don't want.

I will also create some add-on sets later, so you can create the game of your choice.

• Like 1

The Custer's Revenge was a wish from one of the early orders, when it still was in "pick your game" status

It was me and I stand by my choice. My set will be used with my adult friends as a drinking game at retro get togethers.

Personally, I am offended by the wanton killing of innocent frogs so I will be removing the frogger cards from my deck!

;)

• Like 3

Today my Rotary Game arrived me, it is very professional. And it looks perfekt. My Girlfriend says holy shit, i cant play it cause i dont know all the games, but after a look in the manual we start a round. It is not so easy as it looks like :)

Edited by masematte

I really like the idea of this game!! I loved playing Memory when I was a kid. It was cool because if my sister didn't want to play with me, I could play it by myself, and STILL make my brain bigger! (I'm not really being scientific, or anything... ;-) )

It seems like it would be an excellent boardgame for old-school gamers...and even a reason to do some extra VCS playing to try to identify the pairs in their home games!

Because of the difficulty of matches not being identical pairs, in that they require knowledge of Atari games, I think it would be excellent for the older groups of people, and not for children. Unless, of course, you've properly reared your children with the Atari as their babysitter...

And I respect the idea that if frog-squishing or pixel-humping offends you, then you can just pick those cards right out of the game pieces and do away with them. I, personally, have done that myself for a children's game that included cards with information on them that I thought inappropriate for my children. Excercise your rights with products you buy!

I think an excellent kid-version of the game, or perhaps a different "Difficulty" version, would be to have identical matches (with no nudity, of course). The artwork is too beautiful and the gameplay too timeless not to be appreciated by all! (and by "all", I mean "most", and by "most", I mean "by those who would appreciate it")

You know, you could also add a special rule in order to create new VCS2600 fans: Whenever you found a match, you have to play the game for 1 (2, 3, 5 or whatever) minutes.

This idea sounds fun! Great for get-togethers.

And: If you want matches of the same picture, just buy two games, then you have two of each card.

And THIS idea sounds very good to you!! :-) That is EXACTLY what I would do if I had the fundage.

I can make you a set of coasters. Just pay the same $45, I'll make them as coasters (that means: bigger cards, 2mm thick, 40 cards, no box). You can even pick which 40 of the 80 images you want. Send me a copy of the image that shows them all and cross out all you don't want.

I'm confused...

Am I right there is a real MEMORY where you have to find equal pictures, and there is this Retrory game where you find pairs of pictures where picture #1 is another picture than picture #2, but they belong together, since they come from the same game right? And from Retroy there is a light version and a heavy version?

I am interested in MEMORY /and/ Retrory, and I want the best quality (so that means probably the more expensive version right?)

Next to that, I understand people can not 'vote' for a game picture anymore? If that is still possible, I would be VERY pleased if the fabulous game Private Eye would be added to the collection. I love that game, it's one of my favorites… ever!

Please let me know the answers, and I'll make an order!

Great great project. Fun to play with my 6 year old daughter, who is VERY interested in atari 8bit and atari 2600.

It's like this:

"Memory" is the protected trademark for this type of games, owned by Ravensburger. So everything called "Memory" is from Ravensburger, usually with two identical images that make a match.

What I made is RETRORY and MINI RETRORY. Both have 80 cards with different images. Two images belong to the same game and make a match.

RETRORY is the big version with 2 mm thick heavy cards, boxed in a VCS-style box ($45).

MINI RETRORY is the small version with playing-card style cards, but same sized cards, in a smaller box ($15).

Right, it's not possible to vote for pictures anymore. But I take votes for the expansion cards that I'll release soon (only for the normal, not for the mini version).

I planned an expansion set with official games and another expansion set with homebrew games.

Here's a picture of both version for size-comparison.

post-41220-0-60554400-1427302706_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this was an amazing idea and concept and now that it has materialised as a real physical game this is fantastic, with been in love with the VCS at the moment here I think these will highly sought after and very keen to see the expansion sets too.

Would you consider doing other formats? A8, c64, Zx spectrum , Atari ST or Amiga ones?

Again brilliant work fella :)

Sure, other formats are possible, especially A8. I have to see how many people order this one, so I know if it's doable (production costs a lot of work, time and money, so I need to sell at least 50 copies for a break-even).

So guys: Place your orders, it's still available.