Hi @Nezgar, thanks for posting the images. Here is what we could use:

Titles for which we have no dump:
Andromeda Conquest
Candy Factory
Computer War
Eastern Front 1941
Home Financial Management
Pool 1.5
Titles for which we have one flux dump but could use another for verification purposes:
BC's Quest for Tires
Choplifter!
Crush, Crumble and Chomp!
Gorf
Hellcat Ace
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Molecule Man
Mouskattack
MovieMaker
Preppie! (based on the protection description on the disk sleeve, I think this may be version 2.0)
S.A.G.A. #1
Seven Cities of Gold (grey disk)
Suspended
Temple of Apshai
Track Attack
Wizard of Wor
Zaxxon
Zombies
Zork I
Zork II
Shoot me a PM if you are interested in letting us dump them!

Does the list show how many kryo/scp dumps have been made for each? last I remembered it just said if one was done or not...

The database does track this but I haven't exposed it on the website. I will add it to the list of things to implement since it sounds like it would be helpful.

Edited by Farb
  • Like 1

thanks, I'll PM you Farb. I have many 1050's with various enhancements but no Kryoflux, and I don't want to get a kryoflux for 1 time use. I'll PM you as I'd be happy to send them to you to ensure they're imaged properly.

Pinball is the same on real hardware. This one ok on 810 only, bad on 1050. OS-B only and the torrent one the same as above also.

I noticed that the skew was missing from mine so added the torrent one. Now it loads from either drive but still OS-B only of course.

attachicon.gifSolo Flight.zip

attachicon.gifPBall Skewed.zip

Thanks.

The ATX of Solo Flight does not have duplicate sectors. So it already was just a sector copy back then.

Unfortunately the game apparently runs with no protection because it only flips one bit if the protection was OK. Later on it does "something".

Your Pinball has at least a different loader than the one in the torrent. In-memory they differ in a few locations <$700 and for ~3kB >$b200.

It loads on an XL but only if you press OPTION quite long (until after sector 3 or 4). Otherwise it seems to switch on BASIC and then complains that you must remove the cartridge.

The version in the torrent behaves "usual" and accepts a short press of OPTION.

Do we have a raw low level dump? If so it might give some hints about the reason of that track with 19 sectors. Might be a conversion/imaging error.

Note that even if both dup sectors are identical, the timing is affected. Probably not checked in this case, and I don't remember for sure if there is any case that something like this is actually checked.

Yes, we do. See posting #907 above for most images and posting #914 for the remaining images of WO 88.

Any of these disks need archiving?

In addition to Farb's answer:

If your handwritten labels are correct, the torrent contains different versions of Temple of Apshai and Crush, Crumble and Chomp because these disk have NO copy protection.

Thanks.

The ATX of Solo Flight does not have duplicate sectors. So it already was just a sector copy back then.

Unfortunately the game apparently runs with no protection because it only flips one bit if the protection was OK. Later on it does "something".

If I remember correctly, Solo Flight would only run at half speed without the protection on the disk.

• Like 1

In addition to Farb's answer:

If your handwritten labels are correct, the torrent contains different versions of Temple of Apshai and Crush, Crumble and Chomp because these disk have NO copy protection.

it's quite possible the disks are failing due to age, and those errors are just from bad reads. I added those labels with notes a month or 2 ago when I was inspecting some of the disk layouts with the speedy analyzer. I did not actually make any copies and test.

The database does track this but I haven't exposed it on the website. I will add it to the list of things to implement since it sounds like it would be helpful.

This change is now live and is shown on the dump details page a count of "identical dumps".

• Like 2

Just a few things I noted about the torrent files. If someone wants to check.

Skew Alignment protection, ATX only and normal drive speed required - Confirmed
Battalion Commander (1985)(SSI)(US)
Colonial Conquest v1.0 (1985)(SSI)(US)
Computer Ambush v1.2 (1984)(SSI)(US)
Computer Quarterback v2.0 (1981)(SSI)(US)
Kampfgruppe v1.0 (1985)(SSI)(US)(Side A)(Scenario)
Microsoft BASIC v1.0 (1981)(Microsoft)(US)(Atari Internal 1981-09-04 - Serial Number 140) - Discovered these are fine when atr'd, just didn't like the Speedy mode.
Microsoft BASIC (1981)(Atari)(US)
NAM v1.0 (1985)(SSI)(US)(Side A)(Game)
Quest, The (1984)(Penguin Software)(US)(Side A) ** 810 only
Quest, The (1984)(Penguin Software)(US)(Side B) ** 810 only
Star League Baseball (1983)(Gamestar)(US)

Manual/code required
Conflict in Vietnam (1986)(MicroProse Software)(US) ** Code required. Manual included
Decision in the Desert (1985)(MicroProse Software)(US) ** Code required. Manual included
Essex (1985)(Synapse Software)(US)(Disk 1 of 2 Side A)(Disk 1, Side 1)[!] ** Code required. Manual included
Mindwheel (1984)(Synapse Software)(US)(Disk 1 of 2 Side A)(Side A Drive 1) ** Code required. Manual included

BASIC required
Colleen Music Compendium, The (1988)(No Frills Software)(US)(Side A)
Phrase Challenger (198x)(Acorn Software)(US)
Starquest - Star Warrior (1981)(Automated Simulations)(US)[OS-B]
SynFile+ v1.01 (1983)(Synapse Software)(US)(Side B)(Tutorial)[!]

Non XL/XE
Dr. Mindwarp (1983)(ALA Software)(US)[bASIC]
Family Cash Flow v2.0 (1981)(APX)(US)[!][bASIC]
Hydraulic Program (HYSYS) (1982)(APX)(US)[bASIC]
Keyboard Organ (1982)(APX)(US)
Matchmaker - Biology (1984)(American Educational Computer)(US)[bASIC]
Matchmaker - French Vocabulary (1984)(American Educational Computer)(US)[bASIC]
Matchmaker - Spanish Vocabulary (1984)(American Educational Computer)(US)[bASIC]
Matchmaker - U.S. Geography Facts (1984)(American Educational Computer)(US)[bASIC]
Matchmaker - U.S. Government Facts (1984)(American Educational Computer)(US)[bASIC]
Matchmaker - Vocabulary Word Builder (1984)(American Educational Computer)(US)[bASIC]
Matchmaker - World Geography Facts (1984)(American Educational Computer)(US)[bASIC]
Original Adventure (1982)(LotsaBytes)(US)[bASIC]
Quest of the Space Beagle, The (1984)(Avalon Hill)(US)(Side A)[!][bASIC]
Real Estate Cash Flow Analysis (1982)(APX)(US)[bASIC]
Space Games (1982)(Educational Software, Inc.)(US)[bASIC]
Misc
Super Hangman (198x)(Main Street Publishing)(US)[bASIC] = My Spelling Easel (1983)(Main Street Publishing)(US)[bASIC]
Sons of Liberty v1.0 (1987)(SSI)(US)(Disk 1 of 2 Side A)(Scenario) ** labelled incorrectly as 2 of 2 Game. Correct files attached.
Sons of Liberty v1.0 (1987)(SSI)(US)(Disk 2 of 2 Side A)(Game)

Repaired & ATR
Avalanche (1982)(APX)(US) ** bad ATR, repaired
Factory, The (1983)(HesWare)(US)[bASIC] ** bad ATR, repaired
Smasher (1983)(Hardwood Software)(US) ** bad ATR, repaired
Space War (1983)(APX)(US) ** bad ATR, repaired
Repaired & ATX
Adventure in Time (1983)(Phoenix Software)(US) ** T39 corruption, just blank. repaired.
Najemnik - Powrot (1993)(Krysal Software)(PL) ** Was checking s720 then crashing. Added a CRC error and now loading fine. Game will ask for a code, word x in line x. Manual included.
U.S.A.A.F. v1.1 (1985)(SSI)(US)(Side A)(Scenario) ** CRC error on T33, repaired sector from a ATR whilst retaining Skew format.
  • Like 3

Just a few things I noted about the torrent files. If someone wants to check.

Thanks for the additional dumps and the feedback, I will incorporate the information into the database. You have been on a roll lately finding interesting stuff to dump!

If I were to find one of the missing programs either original or a copy, how would I submit it for the good of the group?

It depends what we're talking about. If it is a cracked copy, a standard ATR dump is fine. There's information on the a8preservation website for ways you can do that yourself. If it is an original disk, a backup of an original that retains copy protection, or you don't have the means to dump a cracked disk yourself, I would suggest mailing it to someone to create a dump. Feel free to PM me to coordinate that if needed.

Any ideas what the dongle code is for Altirra's dongle emulation?

It will not work because the dongle is not digital but contains two resistors.

2900 IF PADDLE(F)-PADDLE(L)>K AND PADDLE(L)>K AND PADDLE(L)<BF*K THEN RETURN

Crack attached (paddle returns 228 when nothing is plugged in).

2900 IF PADDLE(F)[u][b]+[/b][/u]PADDLE(L)>K AND PADDLE(L)>K AND PADDLE(L)[u][b]>[/b][/u]BF*K THEN RETURN

Updated crack because I found a second check for the dongle.

Keywriter-1 (1982)(Amazon Systems)(GB).zip

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 2

Argh, too late for editing.

Cracked code should have looked like this:

2900 IF PADDLE(F)+PADDLE(L)>K AND PADDLE(L)>K AND PADDLE(L)>BF*K THEN RETURN

you might be able to yank the file in your profile management system then post another post with the new file with the change... not sure... but it might still work that way.

That would make the old download fail and will stop it's spread and people can go to the new one... or you can always request the ability to edit your post from the powers that be... that would make it nice and clean...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Repaired & ATX

Najemnik - Powrot (1993)(Krysal Software)(PL) ** Was checking s720 then crashing. Added a CRC error and now loading fine. Game will ask for a code, word x in line x. Manual included.

This one is interesting - we have two raw dumps of this that are identical. But clearly the verified ATR in the torrent doesn't boot and your new one does. Could this release have been broken when it originally shipped?

That would make the old download fail and will stop it's spread and people can go to the new one... or you can always request the ability to edit your post from the powers that be... that would make it nice and clean...

The download is OK because I edited my post at the right time. I only found out too late that the code snipped was mangled.

Thanks anyway

One from today.

Thanks, Zarxx. We have one other dump of Databyte's Boulder Dash II that advfan donated. Unfortunately, a8rawconv couldn't generate a entirely correct ATX file from it and @ijor had to create one manually. It seems like this dump may have the same problem. I'll have to defer to him to do a verification.

it's weird certain disk take like 5 tries to get it to image if at all... is this because of the floating splice on disks... is there a mod to do away with the use of the d*mn index circuit on these flipping things? Maybe a bit writer really is a good move.....

Edited by _The Doctor__