IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

Only the ATX of MovieMaker contains 29 sectors (12 dup, 17 crc). The others contain only 28 (11 dup, 17 crc). Dunno for the flux dumps.

Right, the other titles do have 29 sectors also, but one is really invalid (sector 0), so it doesn't go into the ATX image.

Could these tracks with many sectors be some sort of error during mastering of the disks?

I don't see any concrete evidence at the track layout, but might be. There are other possible explanations though. The extra sectors might be there on purpose to obfuscate and to make copying more difficult even when they aren't needed. Also sometimes the disk and the software side of the protection were made separately by different people, sometimes without too much coordination.

• Like 1

Are these original releases by First Star or UK releases (by Databyte)?

Both non original dumps so not certain, but suspect US release on comparison with other Databyte ones which avoid the use of unformatted tracks.

Boulder Dash - T3-10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28-39 - Unformatted, T11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27 - Duplicate s4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 x2

Bristles - T0 - Duplicate s4 x4, 5 x10, T1-2, 7-14, 16-18, 28-39 - Unformatted, T15 - Duplicate s1 x7, 2-3 x4, T19-27 (19s) - Duplicate s18 x2

Monster Smash (1983)(Datamost)(US) - T0 - Deleted Data & CRC s11-15, T1-6, 10-18, 20, 31-32, 34-38 - Unformatted

Monster Smash (1983)(Databyte)(GB) - T0 - Deleted Data & CRC s11-15, T22-32 - Duplicate s3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 14, 16, 18 x2, T33 - Duplicate s1 x3, s3

Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory (1983)(Datamost)(US) - T0 - Deleted Data & CRC s8-15, T1, 6, 10, 18, 20, 34-38 - Unformatted, T22-32 - Duplicate s1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 14, 18 x2, T33 - Duplicate s1 x3, 3 x2, T39 - Duplicate s1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15 x2

Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory (1983)(Databyte)(GB) - T37 (26s) - Double s1-7 (5 x2), 9, 11, 13, 15, 17-18, Duplicate s3, 7, 9, 11, 13, 18 x2, 5 x3 (CRC s9, 13), Short s10, 12, T38 (19s) - Duplicate s2 x3, 3-4, 6-9 x2, T39 (19s) - Duplicate s2 x3, 3-4, 6-9 x2 (CRC s9 x1)

Greatest Hits Vol 1 (1986)(Databyte)(Astro Chase, Bristles, Flip & Flop)(GB) - T37 (26s) - Double & Duplicate s1-7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17-18 (s5 x2), Short s10, 12, CRC s13, T38-39 (19s) - Duplicate s2 x3, 3-4, 6-9 x2

Polar Pierre (1986)(Databyte)(GB) - T37 (26s) - Double s1-7 (5 x2), 9, 11, 13, 15, 17-18, Duplicate s3, 7, 9, 11, 13, 18 x2, 5 x3, CRC s13, Short s10, 12, T38 (19s) - Duplicate s2 x3, 3-4, 6-9 x2, T39 (19s) - Duplicate s2 x3, 3-4, 6-9 x2

• Like 2

Both non original dumps so not certain, but suspect US release on comparison with other Databyte ones which avoid the use of unformatted tracks.

I would also suspect that Bristles is a U.S. release based on a dump of a known U.S. original contributed by advfan. The media was questionable (which is why it never made it into the torrent) so I attempted to dump it twice with slightly differing results.

Here are the differences I see between the advfan dump and yours:

1. Track 15 appears to have some data corruption that is interpreted by a8rawconv as a weak sector. Yours does not have this anomaly.

2. Tracks 28 and 29 of the advfan dump have data and 1 phantom sector (similar to some previous tracks) instead of being unformatted as yours is.

3. Track 39 appears to have some data corruption as well but does not appear to be unformatted as yours is.

I've attached my two SCP dumps in case anyone wants to explore this further.

Bristles_advfan.zip

Edited by Farb
  • Like 2

A suggestion to the preservation team, it might be worthwhile releasing an interim 'sorted and verified' torrent so far, the reason being is that there are now so many 'packets of software' being released for checking there's a possibility that they will bleed in to the pure crop that are checked 100% and then it all becomes a bit tainted...

Its easy as a collector to grab packages that you realise at the time are out there for checking but later on after you are checking your drive you come across a set of zips etc and forget what they were, yeah I know we should mark them as we get them ourselves as test stuff but being a fallible human I do 20 things at once :)

As said, its merely a suggestion to sort of dismiss clutter..

All this said, a HUGE thanks to all the guys archiving stuff, your work is appreciated massively, the same thanks to those checking, cracking and databasing...its a thankless task at the time but is appreciated..

Paul..

Hello everyone,

I would like to participate in the Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative. Part of my collection you can see in the picture below.

I own a SCP with a Panasonic JU475-5, a Sony SD-600 and a Mitsumi D503 floppy drive. My big problem is the jumper settings of the drives and the option input when transferring the floppy disk with the a8rawconv.exe
So far, I have been able to make a copy of a "non-duplicable floppy" on an Atari "MS-Copy Speedy XF" which is also running. On a normal FM floppy disk was an MFM-encoded sectors found.

@Farb: We met on the Nomam and talked for a long time. I will be there at the Fujiama 2018.

I use Windows and create the floppy disks according to the drive:
a8rawconv.exe -b -d fm -of scp scp1: 96tpi name.scp -> Panasonic drive
a8rawconv.exe -b -d fm -of scp scp1: 48tpi name.scp -> Mitsumi drive

Bye,

BigBen (Bernd)

post-4842-0-60116400-1526151543_thumb.jpg

Edited by BigBen
  • Like 3

Hello everyone,

I would like to participate in the Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative. Part of my collection you can see in the picture below.

I own a SCP with a Panasonic JU475-5, a Sony SD-600 and a Mitsumi D503 floppy drive. My big problem is the jumper settings of the drives and the option input when transferring the floppy disk with the a8rawconv.exe

So far, I have been able to make a copy of a "non-duplicable floppy" on an Atari "MS-Copy Speedy XF" which is also running. On a normal FM floppy disk was an MFM-encoded sectors found.

@Farb: We met on the Nomam and talked for a long time. I will be there at the Fujiama 2018.

I use Windows and create the floppy disks according to the drive:

a8rawconv.exe -b -d fm -of scp scp1: 96tpi name.scp -> Panasonic drive

a8rawconv.exe -b -d fm -of scp scp1: 48tpi name.scp -> Mitsumi drive

Bye,

BigBen (Bernd)

Hi BigBen,

Thanks for wanting to share. You might find my guide useful.

Atari Disk Preservation and Restore Guide.pdf

Hi Zarxx,
Thanks for the guide. Unfortunately, the pictures from page 3 are not available. Just the information when and what values the -p option must have saved me a lot of time.
I would like to check the jumper positions of the floppy drives to make no mistake. The Panasonic drive is new, the Mitsumi is rebuilt to a second index signal.

Only with the Epson drive no data is transmitted and seems to be defective.

Hi Zarxx,

Thanks for the guide. Unfortunately, the pictures from page 3 are not available. Just the information when and what values the -p option must have saved me a lot of time.

I would like to check the jumper positions of the floppy drives to make no mistake. The Panasonic drive is new, the Mitsumi is rebuilt to a second index signal.

Only with the Epson drive no data is transmitted and seems to be defective.

hmm, odd.

Here's a working one.

Atari Disk Preservation and Restore Guide.pdf

• Like 1

@BigBen: Thanks for offering to contribute. It was great talking to you at NOMAM. It seems like you are already in good hands - Zarxx has a ton of experience dumping disks with a variety of drives.

@Zarxx: I can't remember if I asked you this already, but would you be okay with my integrating your document into the a8preservation.com website? Full credit to you of course...

• Like 1

A ​Teac FD-55GFR is one the way to me. The entire collection will be tested for functionality and I will also make a copy of each.

@Farb: Can you help me with the jumpers?

Here is a photo of the jumpers on my Panasonic JU-475-5. I don't know if it matters, but it is a flippy-modified drive.

post-8685-0-88417600-1526164993_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A ​Teac FD-55GFR is one the way to me. The entire collection will be tested for functionality and I will also make a copy of each.

@Farb: Can you help me with the jumpers?

Here are the jumpers on my FD-55GFR (Low Density 300rpm). I've had a couple, same jumpers just different positions depending on the board/revision.

post-44915-0-41837900-1526167720_thumb.jpgpost-44915-0-42521300-1526167756_thumb.jpg

post-44915-0-28482000-1526167769_thumb.jpgpost-44915-0-42217300-1526167779_thumb.jpg

From a Google search that I found useful. - For Low Density & 300rpm - LG, IS off & I on

I have now found this data after some considerable effort.

I noticed that, coincidently, stn...@exis.net also asked for the same

information.

Someone should archive this data.

Firstly, I dredged the whole 'Net and there was virtually nothing

available for this drive. There isn't even an English language TEAC

Web site! Unbelievable!

Secondly, it is disgraceful that engineers continue to build products

with no indication on the product itself as to what the jumpers

actually do.Surely it wouldn't be difficult to print this data on an

unused part of the PC board?

I got the data from TEAC's data storage product agent in Sydney,

Australia, They sent me faxed pages out of what looks like the

manufacturer's technical service manual for these drives.

This data refers only to the FD-55GFR-149U. There is also a -140 which

looks the same and has the same layout. Perhaps it is basically the

same drive and this data applies to that one as well.

D0, D1, D2, D3 These give the drive address in a daisy chain

configuration.

U0, U1 Used to select turn-on condition of front bezel light (see

below).

IU Jumper to make the signal interface terminal 4 be used

for the IN-USE input signal. When strap is removed, the

input circuit is open and the IN-USE signal ineffective.

ML Selects spindle action according to host command. When

open, spindle rotates only by MOTOR ON input signal. When

jumper is ON motor rotates when (a) MOTOR ON input signal

is TRUE (b) front bezel indicator turns on.

RY/DC Used to select function of READY/DISK CHANGE signal on

terminal 34. When RY jumper ON signal on terminal 34 functions

as ready signal, and it functions as DISK CHANGE signal when

the DC jumper is ON.

LG Used to select meaning of HIGH/NORMAL DENSITY input

signal. When on, LOW level of HIGH/NORMAL DENSITY signals

high density mode. When off, LOW level of HIGH/NORMAL DENSITY

signal designates normal density mode.

I and IS Used to select speed of drive. I strap on: dual speed mode

designated. (360 rpm High Density, 300 rpm Low Density).

Ready state reset once synchronising with a level change of

the HIGH/NORMAL DENSITY signal. Both I and IS OFF, single

speed mode designated. Speed is 360 rpm regardless of

HIGH/NORMAL DENSITY signal. Both I and IS on, dual speed

mode is activated but FDD remains in ready state, regardless of

level change of HIGH/NORMAL DENSITY signal.

E2 Selects output condition of INDEX and READ DATA pulses.When

OFF

pulses are ouput as in (DIAGRAM NOT SUPPLIED). When ON, output

conditions changed to logical expression as follows:

INDEX: Index hole detection * DRIVE SELECT * Ready state

READ DATA: Read data detection * DRIVE SELECT * Ready State

---------------------

* Write operation

FG Connects FDD frame to DC 0V.

Front Bezel Indicator

Selection Jumper Combo. Indicator turn-on condition

1 * * * Drive select

2 IU * U1 Drive select + in-use

3 IU U0 * In use

4 * U0 U1 Drive select + ready

5 IU U0 U1 In use + (drive select * ready)

Notes

Selection

1 Indicator tuns on when DRIVE SELECT signal TRUE

2 Indicator turns on while DRIVE SELECT signal is TRUE or

IN USE signal TRUE

3 Indicator on while IN USE signal TRUE

4 Indicator on when DRIVE SELECT signal TRUE and FDD in ready

state.

5 Indicator turns on, on conditions 3 or 4

I do not what the default settings are meant to be.

Mine are FG, D1and DC jumpered.

On the 3COM web site they make a technical note about these drives (in

document 0000526B) and say D0, I, RY and D3 should be jumpered. (No, I

don't know the significance of jumpering *2* drive address selections.

It does not seem logical.)

Well, there it is folks. I hope after all that typing it is of use to

*someone* and that somebody sticks it in an archive somewhere. Note

that the words are not necessarily exactly as in the data. I have

shortened and reworded the text where possible.

David Maddison

Many thanks to Farb and Zarxx for your help.
@ Color: The Panasonic Floppy station is not identical with mine. Yours should be JU475-4, mine is JU475-5. I found the setting for reading from Atari disks.
@Zarxx: I will set the Teac Floppy station in accordance to your specifications.

Here are my first files. The Translator Disk was included with Bandits.

Part I.zip

Part II.zip

Part III.zip

post-4842-0-87760600-1526210810_thumb.jpg

post-4842-0-97767400-1526210843_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Amazing collections to be dumped, wow !!!

BigBen: Please be extremely caution with those Synapse disks as they tend to be very fragile. Read some of the posts here about disk coating degradation, or chances you might physically destroy some disks. I recommend dumping those disks with a lower number of revolutions, not with five.

Most drives will work out of the box with the default jumper position except perhaps for reading the flippy side on an unmodified drive.

Here are my first files. The Translator Disk was included with Bandits.

Fantastic work, BigBen! I verified that your Bandits and Karateka dumps are identical to others we have so your equipment seems to be working great!

• Like 1