IGNORED

Good N64 controllers?

Video

Basically looking for Nintendo 64 controllers. I doubt the first party are even made anymore. But there seems to be some third parties made still, in a range of reasonable, to damn expensive. For about $12 I can get stick inserts and fix official ones it looks like, anybody tried those?

Anyhow, just looking to see what people's thoughts on parts and products out there are.

1st party ones are the best. I have read that the replacement sticks are not very good, but never tried any myself. If you get one with a loose stick, you can fix it pretty easily. I have done this to a couple and it worked pretty well:

This method looks like it works well too, and have been meaning to try it:

maybe a combination of both of these methods would be best.

N64 first party controllers only! I have replaced all my joysticks with these (gamecube style pivot) and they are good as new and will stay that way.

http://www.amazon.com/Redesigned-REPLACEMENT-Joystick-Controller-Thumbstick/dp/B009MRZAUC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423598051&sr=8-1&keywords=new+style+n64+joystick

I tried one of those, and the sensitivity and deadzone wasn't adequate and created precision problems in some games. Also beware of replacements labeled as official Nintendo parts, since Nintendo never sold new analog stick replacements by themselves. They're just cleaned up used examples.

New Nintendo 64 controllers were stocked at Nintendo's online store until about five years ago (As were new NES dogbone controllers until the latter part of the last decade), but alas, they're long gone now.

The way to go is to purchase a used Hori controller while keeping a Nintendo example around for the occasional game that actually utilizes the d-pad for your directional inputs. The Hori's placement of the d-pad is poor for control, although more convenient when used as a secondary function like weapon selection in a FPS than it is on the Nintendo design (Assuming you're holding it how Nintendo intended with the center handle, which I never did).

Analog stick issues aside, the Nintendo 64's stock d-pad is top notch and very reminiscent of the SuperNes design and worth holding onto for a few games even if the analog stick is hopelessly wore out.

Edited by Atariboy

Yep, first party only, though I do have 2 Japanese Hori controllers that are a little small for my hands. I'm not sure what people are doing to wear their analog sticks out so much, I still have my original controllers from the 90s and they aren't the slightest bit loose. And that's even after countless late night Mario Kart sessions in college. Keep an eye out on web forums for first party controllers in good shape, best way to pick them up.

I'm not sure what people are doing to wear their analog sticks out so much.

Mario Party.

I'm like you though, I've never worn out a N64 controller (probably thanks to never playing games that make me wiggle the stick around like a maniac). Most of the games I play on it require using the stick with finesse (F-Zero X, Wipeout 64, Star Fox 64, etc).

Edited by Austin

My Nintendo 64 from 1999 came with two new controllers (The bundle that included the translucent purple controller). After all those years, the analog stick on the gray controller that I'd always use only feels ever so slightly different from the controller that's still brand new inside the box.

But every time I played on this system at a friend's house and every used controller that has fallen into my possession, the analog stick is wrecked. I intentionally avoided playing any of the Mario Party releases that Austin mentioned with my own controller (I also don't play Decathlon on the 2600, another notorious controller killer).

That said, I still prefer the Hori controller after acquiring one a few years ago and feel that's the way to go if someone is on the hunt for a quality functioning N64 gamepad.

Edited by Atariboy

Even though some people have defended Mario Party, saying that it left their controllers in fine shape, I gotta say (without personal experience) that it would certainly SEEM likely that it couldn't be good for them.

For example, let's say you WEREN'T playing a Mario Party game, in fact you weren't playing ANY game; however, your buddy is sitting on your couch, holding one of your N64 controllers, and he'd mash the thumbstick against the palm of his hand and spin/rotate that stick as FAST as he F@#$ing could... for 4-5 minutes at a time... over a period of a couple hours. Would you NOT speak up and say "Hey dude! What's your problem??? You trying to break my controller or what?"

However, to have FOUR people, all doing the same thing, while playing a certain game, it suddenly becomes acceptable?

Same goes for any joystick waggling game, like Decathlon (as mentioned) or others.

It wasn't enough to stop me from playing it, but powering up your attack in Paper Mario 64 often made me think twice about what it could do to the analog stick. I never tried too hard to fill the meter there by quickly moving the analog stick back and forth as a result. Especially since I was playing with a nearly brand new Wavebird with the Virtual Console version on the Wii, bought just before they disappeared from stores.

I wouldn't be surprised if the wear & tear some of these maneuvers caused ended up contributing to the development of motion controllers for the Wii.

Edited by Atariboy

I really like the Super Pad 64. Sturdy build with a beefy analog mechanism and more traditional lay out. The dBad and stick are rotated inwards slightly, but isn't hard to get use to. Z trigger is positioned like L2. This was my pad of choice for a recent n64 night. I have the "Plus" version with turbo and slow buttons

superpad64gc3.JPG

• Like 1

If you want to fix up N64 sticks, check out kitsch-bent's N64 stick gears. Those are one of the parts that wear out on the original sticks, so swapping them out has helped mine.

The bowl the stick moves around in is still worn out, so it's not perfect, but it's good enough to run some games. I also recommend putting some white lithium grease in that bowl and on the gears to help it continue to move smoothly without wearing out further.

Hori made the mini-pad, which is cool. Unfortunately these were only made in Japan, and thus cost a fortune.

They can be pretty reliably had for about what a new game cost today. Expensive in relation to the system it's on and the fact that it's a used controller, but still well within reason.