IGNORED

My thoughts on the Philly Classic

maibock

First I'd like to say, Atari Age had an awesome booth - definitely the best of the lot. Very organized and not "junky" looking. The 2600's that were displaying the games were all mint looking and very clean, as well as the joysticks. Nice job guys!

Since this was my first Philly Classic and really my first gaming show, I really didn't quite know what to expect. Sure I knew there'd be games to buy and coin-op games to play, but other than that I had no idea what was in store.

I brought my two sons along ages 12 and 10 who for the most part enjoyed themselves but tended to get bored after a few hours each day. Which brings up a point. When we first entered the show, I was kind of expecting a much larger room and more booths than what was there. Also, with the only tickets available were a 2 or 3 day pass, I would have thought there would be more. In fact, the first day we were pretty much done after about 3-4 hours. This is definitely a one day show.

But alas, we decided to come back Sunday(today) and planned to coincide our second visit with my older son's "tournament" that he had signed up for. So we showed up around 1:30-2:00. As we walked in I noticed a few empty booths and thought nothing of it. Until we saw a steady stream of vendors packing up and leaving the show early.

I realize they paid for the table and can leave whenever I suppose, but it really turned us off as things were getting turned off literally as we were playing them. This is a big no no. The show was supposed to end at 5:00 and here people were breaking their stuff down at 2:00. The organizers really need to take a look at this. In fact the reason we decided to stick around was for the "tournament" and the teaser of the Gameboy SP give-a-way at 4:00 (in which my little guy made it to the last 3 people but lost in the end. He thinks it was a "fix" :P )

As far as the gaming booths themselves, I guess its good for those rare things you need, but expect to pay pretty much what you will at an EB Games store for the Nes, Snes and Sega stuff. I figured the people selling it here obviously know the market value of certain carts and therefore charge accordingly. Although I did manage to get a few games which I could not find anywhere and that's what this show is good for.

The cool parts were showing the kids some of the older games and they marveled at Cassidy's Computer Space game. I think overall they got a good understanding and gained some respect at where their Xbox came from. ;)

I think overall, it was "ok" for the type of gamers we are. Will we go next year? perhaps, perhaps not, still not quite sure.

I think I'll save for another post on things that would greatly improve the show..

In brief. my thoughts:

The highlight of the show was not the convention, the booths, or the games I bought - it was the people. In particular, it was the AtariAge people. I've known in general that this funky bunch was some of the nicest, strangest, coolest and funnest people I've ever met online - but seeing how well that came across in person too made it a real treat. There were almost too many of us there to name, so rather than do anybody a disservice by trying to make a "complete list" I'll instead refer you to the group photo we took in front of the AA booth Sunday as soon as Albert gets back with time to unpack, then post the photo. I will however say this: z28, Chickybaby and SS went out of their way to make us feel at home in foreign turf (well above and beyond the call of duty), Osmeroid is such a cool chap (and my wife :love: :love: loves his accent), Cassidy is a true gentleman and Atari scholar, Xot was hella gracious despite how busy he was... and I really apologize but there are just too many more to name but I was HELLA pleased with everybody I met. I was ribbed by many people about my handle, but none without kindness, and when the PC table yelled "Bye Rock! Bye Roll!" at my wife and I as we left Sunday it gave me a smile a country mile wide. :D

Oh, and I also bought a lot of cool games, nearly completed my Imagic collection, finally got a 5200 Ballblazer to complete my set (thanks R!) and did a bunch of other great shopping.

Only flaws, and they were small:

For the panels, it would have been really nice to have chairs to sit in during the speeches and Q&A's. This was present at the Expo, and I sorely missed it's absence here.

For the arcade, it was much smaller than I expected, and nearly all of the games were busy all of the time the entire show. Only late at night and on Sunday afternoon was I really able to reel off quality arcade time.

One booth (which I won't name, but which we all agreed on in private conversations) was HELLA overcharging for their wares, far beyond even what the price guide values would indicate in DP or AA.

That's all for now. :)

I had a blast! Granted it was my first show so I have no point of reference. I was there Saturday only (just got back from a 12 hour drive!). There was a lot of nice stuff to look at (like finally seeing a silver gravitar!), but I think I was pretty good at not going too apeshit on spending. ;) It was nice finally meeting some of the board members in person. Beyond the buying and trading and meeting folk it was neat to see the Adventure II in progress homebrew for the 5200, the coming soon UA games for 2600, and picking up a signed Stunt Cycle. Also, I have to thank Ianoid for being a really cool trader!

My loot:

A 5200 with "broken" Sticks + 2 games

Turbo Grafx Legendary Axe I+II

A few common Saturn Games + import Policenauts

Several missing 2600 manuals including Dolphin, Beamrider, and Pitfall II

Master Builder, King Kong, Demolition Herby, and Strategy X!

Activision Anthology for $15!

I had a great time and will hopefully be less shy and meet more folks at the next show! And I agree that AA had a great booth!

The highlight of the show was not the convention, the booths, or the games I bought - it was the people.

I kind of figured this would be an appeal too, but being relatively new to the community, I realized it wasn't a big part for me at least this year.

For the arcade, it was much smaller than I expected, and nearly all of the games were busy all of the time the entire show. Only late at night and on Sunday afternoon was I really able to reel off quality arcade time.  

I thought it was a bit small as well and lacking in some cool selections, but we had fun anyway. We arrived Saturday around 10:00 am and pretty much had free reign for an hour before the arcade got busy.

One booth (which I won't name, but which we all agreed on in private conversations) was HELLA overcharging for their wares, far beyond even what the price guide values would indicate in DP or AA

yeah I agree - the difference in price on Pitfall II was astounding, but I did finally get one :D

some of the snes pricing was laughable however

Megamanfan is right the people are amazing!

It was nice seeing Albert,Joe Grand,Cassidy,Bob Polaro,Cindy Morgan,

The retrogaming times staff, Joe Cody and his wife.

A huge thanks to Curt Vendel and Deborah Palicia who were both incredible. I bought way too much stuff but overall I'm very happy

Carrying around that trashbag and then those three big EB bags was worth it. Awsome show, but where was Sid Meier and what was the Super Mario Toss?

Megamanfan is right the people are amazing!

It was nice seeing Albert,Joe Grand,Cassidy,Bob Polaro,Cindy Morgan,

The retrogaming times staff, Joe Cody and his wife.

A huge thanks to Curt Vendel and Deborah Palicia who were both incredible. I bought way too much stuff but overall I'm very happy

Carrying around that trashbag and then those three big EB bags was worth it. Awsome show, but where was Sid Meier and what was the Super Mario Toss?

Wait, you were that poor guy I helped out on Saturday who's wrists looked like they were about to start bleeding from all those monster sized EB bags you were carrying around? I forgot to ask your name, I just thought you looked like your were going to need some serious medical attention if you made your way around the show floor another time with all that stuff....

Sid did show up and not a minute too late, the videogaming panel had just gone through most of the people for their speaker sessions, just then Sid showed up and certainly made everyones day with his talks and the Q&A session....

Curt

I did had a great weekend.

I did find a lot of game that was on my trade list :) BTW, I have Stunt cycle for trade/sale

I was happy to meet some of the Atariage people like megamanfan, tempest.......other that I don't remember name (I always had problem with name :roll: ).

HOWEVER, My friend and I (the ottawa crew with the vectrex display) was very very mad about one thing: Closing the door at 9.00 Saterday???

PC4 see you next year

I realize they paid for the table and can leave whenever I suppose, but it really turned us off as things were getting turned off literally as we were playing them. This is a big no no. The show was supposed to end at 5:00 and here people were breaking their stuff down at 2:00. The organizers really need to take a look at this.

Yeah, sometimes it's the location, as I've gone to record conventions here since '87, and they've alternated between two hotels over the years, plus a couple of other places where they were only at twice, one of which was that, at other locations, closing shop up at 5 meant you got until 5:30 or so; 5 at this other place meant you had to start packing up at 4:30 and everyone had to be totally out of there at 5 sharp. Needless to repeat myself, but they were only at that crappy location twice ever. So nah-nah-nah on them, which it might've been the same situation at Philly Classic.

In brief. my thoughts:

The highlight of the show was not the convention, the booths, or the games I bought - it was the people.  In particular, it was the AtariAge people.

DN: I agree 100% - this show is all about the gamers and the games. YOU all gave the show whatever success it might have had. All I know is, I had a good time :)

Only flaws, and they were small:

For the panels, it would have been really nice to have chairs to sit in during the speeches and Q&A's.  This was present at the Expo, and I sorely missed it's absence here.

DN: Yes, you're absolutely right on. We're still learning about speakers/panels, but that's a great suggestion.

For the arcade, it was much smaller than I expected, and nearly all of the games were busy all of the time the entire show.  Only late at night and on Sunday afternoon was I really able to reel off quality arcade time.

DN: Sorta like Disneyland -- you gotta get in early. Seriously, we had a smaller arcade than last year for a couple of reasons that I won't bore you with. We will have a much larger arcade next year. How? Can you spell VIDEOTOPIA? More to come on that partnership as we work out the details!

One booth (which I won't name, but which we all agreed on in private conversations) was HELLA overcharging for their wares, far beyond even what the price guide values would indicate in DP or AA.

DN: Yup. But what's a show without a little comic relief?

-- David

maibock wrote:

I realize they paid for the table and can leave whenever I suppose, but it really turned us off as things were getting turned off literally as we were playing them. This is a big no no. The show was supposed to end at 5:00 and here people were breaking their stuff down at 2:00. The organizers really need to take a look at this.

============================

YES! We absolutely do need to look at this issue, and frankly, it upset me, too. The 5 of us co-organizers were VERY concerned about this for all kinds of reasons. We're looking into ways to make sure that doesn't happen for PC5. Thanks for your clear-headed and constructive feedback.

Let me also add that the people with the biggest setup and with the most work to do to break down and pack up (AtariAge) were true professionals and did not turn off the fun until closing time. If we had vendors and tableholders of that caliber across the board, it would have been a very different scene at 3:30pm Sunday...

-- David

Seriously, we had a smaller arcade than last year for a couple of reasons that I won't bore you with.

IMHO, the arcade was the only disapointment at this year's show. Last year I was in heaven : two Gorf's, Omega Race, Space Invaders, Asteroids Dexule, Star Wars sitdown, and much much more. It was a beautiful thing to behold! This year's selection left me kinda cold ...

We will have a much larger arcade next year. How? Can you spell VIDEOTOPIA? More to come on that partnership as we work out the details!

:D :D :D Can't wait!

Yup. But what's a show without a little comic relief?

I don't know who you could be talking about. :roll:

Another big round of applause to David & Co. for yet again, putting on a top notch show, year after year the show keeps expanding in various ways, this year with the speakers, and the Programmer Roundtable sessions, getting Tron-Chic "Cindy" (who by the way is still looking hot!) :love: to also add a nice dimension to the show was great!!!

I was a little disappointed in the smaller arcade, but hey you work with whatcha got and it was still a nice selection of games (I got to FINALLY play Baby PacMan and whoever owns it, keeps it in beautiful shape!)

The (Polka Dancing) Stormtrooper and the head to head face off of Pitfall Harry Vs. The Stormtrooper was funny!!!

The computer show next door was also great, to run over for some upgrade parts and for those needing to get their MAME machines going, nice pairing of shows!!!

Lets all give a round of applause to David and all of the co-organizers, they keep making the East Coast Gaming Event better and better each year!!! :D :D :D

Curt

Sorry for the cross-posting to those of you who visit the DP forum as well, but thought I'd share some thoughts with those of you who call AA home =)

Let me start with a few "exclusive" AA forum bulletpoints!

-The AA booth looked fantastic. As always, a wonderful job from you guys. My hat's off to you (and it was a Jaguar cap, too!)

-It was nice meeting those of you who I know only by handle here. I hope you didn't mind my straightforward approach but I really do like meeting people face-to-face!

-@Chickybaby: a kiss blown by you is worth far more than $9 =)

In fact, I've scanned in the missing instruction manual for the Ms. Pac-Man board game for you. It's big (2.7mb) but suitable for printing. http://www.digitpress.com/media/mspacboard.zip

I'm working on a full report with pictures and whatnot, but here are a few bullet-point highlights from my POV.

-Met lots of forum members for the first time, and met up with lots of others who are always great to catch up with.

-Attendance was significantly down from last year. I can't imagine why, the show didn't change too much, there were lots of giveaways and things going on and the atmosphere was the usual, casual, fun-place-to-be... perhaps the struggling economy and the war are keeping people home?

-"Game of the Show" is Adventure II. I mean... WOW. I'm continually amazed with the advances our modern day game designers are making with vintage systems.

-Prices went from very good to very high. A boxed Vectrex was purchased by the table next to me for $75, and across the room a loose Condor Attack was being sold for $225. Though I've only seen this game once prior to Philly, I saw it go for $100 and $150 respectively elsewhere on the floor. You simply HAD to shop for the best prices.

-I've got Condor Attack now.

-I hereby vow that I will never drink alcohol again, at least until next Friday.

-Portnoyd's Silent Service cartridge was signed by Sid Meier "I didn't write this game, douche". My CPU Bach for 3DO was signed "You R The Man". This proves that I'm cooler than Portnoyd, not that this was ever a doubt.

-Did I mention that I've got Condor Attack now? ;)

-Mike from Collector's House had the best deals overall at the show (he was the first table as you walked in), and a great selection of old and new.

-Besides the two Al's here that rock, there's a third: Al Backiel ROCKS.

-I'm going to need some more sleep now.

-Big UPS to Dave Newman and crew for another successful event. I had a blast!

Hope to see you all again at CGE! Game ON.

-Did I mention that I've got Condor Attack now? ;)

I’m now a proud owner of a Condor Attack myself! Of course, mine's Brazilian … :roll:

-@Chickybaby: a kiss blown by you is worth far more than $9 =)

Ms. Pacman board game : $1

smooch from Chickybaby : priceless

Curt Vendel wrote:

Another big round of applause to David & Co. for yet again, putting on a top notch show
Curt:

A big hand to YOU, my friend, for the AtariAge kiosks, helping Mike out with the Jaguar kiosk base [which is in my van right now since Mr. Stulir decided it wouldn't fit in his Ferrarri], and the myriad of ways you contribute to making PhillyClassic a great experience with your time, expertise, and generosity.

Now, there are some other people who contribute to the PC experience, and who too often go unmentioned.

It's really NOT "David & Co." so much as "Co. and David." I meant to mention these guys during the show and even have them come up to the podium for a nod of recognition, but in all the frenzy I forgot to make that happen -- sort of like the Oscar winners when they forget to thank their spouses, i.e. BIG NO-NO.

So, to my co-organizers, Tony "Xot" Morse, Matt Peacock, Benjamin Laden (and his accordian stylings), and Mike Stulir -- a YUGE round of well-earned thanks and applause.

Without EACH ONE of you, the show would have been nearly impossible to pull off, and without ALL of you, it wouldn't be worth doing.

-- David

-Attendance was significantly down from last year. I can't imagine why, the show didn't change too much, there were lots of giveaways and things going on and the atmosphere was the usual, casual, fun-place-to-be... perhaps the struggling economy and the war are keeping people home?

Joe, thats weird, don't know where you got that impression, official numbered badges & counted sales were a little over 900 by Sunday, just 100 shy of last years 1001 offically numbered tickets, I think given the ecomony and times that was a superb attendance #...

Curt

Joe, thats weird, don't know where you got that impression, official numbered badges & counted sales were a little over 900 by Sunday, just 100 shy of last years 1001 offically numbered tickets, I think given the ecomony and times that was a superb attendance #...

It wasn't just my impression! I've been to every PhillyClassic. If last year was 1000 I don't understand how there could have been 900 this year. Of course I didn't count and in any event it didn't affect my enjoyment of the show one bit.

Maybe your left bicep was blocking my view of the missing 200 people! :P

Maybe your left bicep was blocking my view of the missing 200 people!  :P

Bicep???... oh you mean my belly!!! I gotta stop eating that $^%@ food at those convention centers... that would've definitely have hidden 200 people fer-sure!!! ;-) :-D

Matt & I had some of those "death dogs" I'm still feeling ill from tho.... oooops, gotta run to the bathroom again GET OUTTA MY WAY>>>>

;-)Curt :o