IGNORED

My thoughts on the Philly Classic

maibock

Curt -

I'd be interested in the DVD. In particular, I initially heard that Sid Meir would not be making the show. Then, after the show was over I learned he actually was present. So I'd want to see whatever talk or Q&A Sid gave.

-- Steve

Steve:

Someone started a rumor at the show that Sid would not be there. That was incorrect. Jeff Briggs was the one who made a last-minute cancellation, but Sid was still going to be there. He arrived just in time to join the tail end of the "programmers roundtable" discussion.

The good news is that I recorded the "programmers roundtable" discussion. I also recorded about 45 additional minutes with Sid Meier, and another 45 minutes with Cindy Morgan. I'm in the process of editing it all right now.

So, for anyone who missed PC4, or for anyone who wants to hear what they had to say for a second time, those interviews & discussions will be part of the next editions of the "Back In Time" webcast. I have enough audio for two or three episodes.

Well damn! Thanks for all the post mordems and wrap-ups... I felt like I was THERE! Sorry I missed Philly, but I can only afford to do one of these conventions a year, and I'm closer to Vegas than to Philly. So I'll see you kids at CGE!

Joe, thats weird, don't know where you got that impression, official numbered badges & counted sales were a little over 900 by Sunday, just 100 shy of last years 1001 offically numbered tickets, I think given the ecomony and times that was a superb attendance #...

It wasn't just my impression! I've been to every PhillyClassic. If last year was 1000 I don't understand how there could have been 900 this year. Of course I didn't count and in any event it didn't affect my enjoyment of the show one bit.

Maybe your left bicep was blocking my view of the missing 200 people! :P

Joe, my understanding from David N. is that the final number came in at 905. That puts us at roughly 95 fewer people than last year -- hardly a significant change. To clarify, PhillyClassic attendance figures are computed by ticket sales. In other words, if someone buys a ticket and is at the show for all three days, it is only counted as one entrance. It is extremely easy to tell how many people entered just from the attendance badges. Since they are numbered sequentially, all David had to do was check to see which was the last one sold, and he had an instant attendance figure.

I think the reason the floor looked more empty than last year was the change in format. Moving from a two day format to a three day format may have spread the traffic out a bit thinner than last year.

Joe, it was nice seeing you again. I always enjoy chatting with you. I look forward to seeing you again sometime soon!

I really dug PC and I really enjoyted the flea market atmosphere.

I think a more polished professional look isn't necessarily better, and that CGE probably provides that.

In respose to the first thread in this post:

First off, I left at 12pm so I could catch a plane back to the west coast. Since for shows like this one, people come from a serious distance (some drive 12 hours- my trip took my 10 hours), it's not always feasible to return at night. If you could get a show that big with people within 2 hours, that would be neat. Sorry, no go with this hobby. I think it's the nature of the beast. Not everyone has widespread availability and the vendors are joe shmoes like me who don't do this for a living, and thankfully so.

Second, that was a HUGE space, I think it was nicely planned, and a few more tables could have fit if necessary. I think it was nicely planned and kudos to the organizers.

Third, if you are trying to entertain some pre-teens, you're going to need alot more than a classic gaming convention. Certainly not anything to do with PC. Kids don't have patience. What makes these shows (as said before) is interaction with other collectors/gamers. It's just not something too many kids will be interested in.

About the Atari Age showing: It was pretty damn nice looking. You guys have alot of staff and some talented artists and creative people helping you and it shows. I can't say everyone should have a space looking like that. That takes alot of cash, that I don't think is in classic gaming in general. I give you guys a thumbs up. I must say that I'm ashamed to say nice stuff on the AA board about the AA booth because it's preaching to the choir. It's really redundant, and boring I might add. Nevertheless, I spent a crapload at that booth and I'm totally psyched to get my stuff in the mail.

Still, I like the ramshackle nature of the overall look of the PC show, and the size. It wasn't small, although I understand it seemed like fewer people were there, so I heard. Probably less people with time and money to spend than the same time last year. Not a huge surprise.

Perhaps tickets were a little steep- I don't see why it would be bad to have a 1 day ticket for $12 and a 2 day ticket for $20... And/or a discount for kids, if that's an issue. Still, given the resources and the free play games, I think it's pretty reasonable. Then again, I'm just not as cheap as some of you.

I can say that I'm looking forward to CGE. And after PC this year, I'm definnitely going to try to get a table at every show I go to.