IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback Upgrade Service

Byte Knight

On 12/18/2022 at 2:27 PM, fdr4prez said:

Byte Knight is taking a break from these. 

His $dayjob$ has kept him quite busy since Covid hit, and, as has been mentioned in recent posts, it is rather difficult to get a Raspberry Pi due to the supply chain issues. 

I'm just happy he's okay. I feared something happened to him. Haven't heard from him in a year or so..... :( 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

What is on this mysterious page 7?

I dunno but Papa Pete says the 5 pager and the 6 pager are missing stuff that the 7 pager has..... So I figured I better ask cuz I couldn't get my IP address lastnight trying to transfer roms onto the flashback. I've been able to use the thumb stick though for the roms, but not the box art yet..... This stuff isn't easy for me... Have problems loading roms onto my LTO Flash and problems loading roms onto my flashback. With Atari everything has (transferring roms) been simple even for me... 🥺

1 hour ago, fdr4prez said:

Then Papa Pete can post it, no? I suppose

Do you have the 6 page version? Yes

I can post it later if you don't have it. Have that one, but not the 7 pager..

It certainly talks about getting connected to wifi and transferring roms and box art. Yes but it isn't specific enough for techie dummies like me...

When I press F4 with my keyboard plugged into the usb dongel the command prompt says pi@UltimateFB: $.... Whereas the demonstration video in the beginning of this post has that directory being pi@retropie: $......

So this is most likely another reason why my wifi / IP address isn't working. I tried to change the directory to retropie by typing 'cd Retropie' and that didn't work (it said that directory doesn't exist) so now I'm back to square one... Please help / advise... I want to get this to work but it's the usual tech roadblocks for me... I can transfer the roms over using a thumb stick but cannot add the box art because I cannot advance through the command prompts.... 🙄

Edited by Rickster8
Wording

2 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

When I press F4 with my keyboard plugged into the usb dongel the command prompt says pi@UltimateFB: $.... Whereas the demonstration video in the beginning of this post has that directory being pi@retropie: $......

So this is most likely another reason why my wifi / IP address isn't working. I tried to change the directory to retropie by typing 'cd Retropie' and that didn't work (it said that directory doesn't exist) so now I'm back to square one... Please help / advise... I want to get this to work but it's the usual tech roadblocks for me... I can transfer the roms over using a thumb stick but cannot add the box art because I cannot advance through the command prompts.... 🙄

I think UltimateFB is the name of the system, not a directory.  Different names might have been used seven years ago, the instruction manual might have been updated over the years as well.  That name shouldn't affect configuring wifi.  As an alternative, at the command prompt try running the command "sudo raspi-config".  See if there is a wifi option, under network options.

I am not so familiar with Byte Knight's image because I made my own.

Don't worry about your "command prompt" issue. 

To get it setup for wifi there are two methods, and i just tested both methods.

Method #1:

I think he hides the "RetroPie" system, so this is why in his manual he has you manually editing the configuration file.

From his manual (i followed these instructions exactly from his manual):
Plug a USB keyboard into the USB cable extender sticking out of the back of the Ultimate Flashback.

Turn on your Ultimate Flashback

Once the “Intellivision games available” screen pops up, hit F4 on your keyboard to exit into Linux Command Line.

You’re going to edit the wifi network file next. Type this in at the command line prompt:
sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Use the keyboard arrow keys to move through the file.

Change the text inside the quotes to your own wifi network and password:
network={
ssid="network-ssid"
psk="password"
}

Now save the file by pressing ctrl+x then y, then press enter.

Now reboot by typing:
sudo reboot

Method 2:

As mr_me has mentioned, press F4 to get into the console and type in:

sudo raspi-config

When the Raspi-Config opens, this may appear different based on the version of RetroPie used between the current version (what I have) and what older version is used in Byte Knight's image.

As me_mr mentioned you may see a wifi option, but if you don't then select the option that says System Options.

In the System Options then you will select Wireless LAN

Now enter your SSID network name and press Enter on the keyboard.

Then enter in your password and press Enter on the keyboard.

At this point the Pi will immediately connect to your wifi.

You can select Finish and it will exit out to the console.

in the console, you can enter in exit and then it will relauch the emulationstation.

There are other ways to get a pi connected to wifi, but those appear to be the easiest for Byte Knight's Ultimate build.

• Thanks 1

For adding games and images to the Pi, you can use the methods detailed in his manual.   They work.

Alternatively, you can do this method once you get it connected to your network.

In his manual, he references CyberDuck, but I never use it.

I use WinSCP 

When you launch WinSCP it will prompt you for some settings, so use whatever IP address your network assigned to the PI.  Sometimes using the Pi's hostname will work, which for Byte Knight's image appears to be UltimateFB - if that hostname doesn't allow you to connect, then you will need to use the IP address that your network assigned to it.

winscp.thumb.jpg.a95fbaf40e6c597b4e1bcef49a82e5d6.jpg

Once you are connected, then you can simply browse to the /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/intellivision/ folder:

roms.thumb.jpg.68db6a9550345eef9274a5eadd90c52e.jpg

For the images, you need to make a png or jpg of the desired image, and give it the same name as the game name with the added "-image" added to the picture's filename.

This goes into the /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/intellivision/image/ folder:

images.thumb.jpg.f6ec0265860d415b38049672aaa5f0ff.jpg

DO NOT MAKE/USE HIGH RESOLUTION IMAGES = they take larger to load when browsing the game list.  

Not sure "how large" is too large, so you can give a few different sizes and resolutions to see what works well for you.  But each time you change the image then you need to relaunch emualationstation.

Now you can close the WinSCP.

for the new games and images to appear you need to relaunch the EmulationStation.

To delete games, just connect and delete the game and relaunch.

EDIT: Byte Knight doesn't use the images subfolder to hold the images, so simply create this new directory in the intellivision directory.

Using Byte Knight's image method is a bit more work.  You need to manually select the image from within the software.

If you use my method, then it is less work to do.  The image automatically appears when you relaunch since it is in that specific directory and tied to the game name with the appended "-image" name.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rickster8 said:

I've been able to copy the roms into my Ultimate Flashback using a thumb stick. My only issue right now is getting in the box art which really isn't that big of a deal, but would still like to figure it out..... 

Ok, then please refer to the post i made right above this.

It explains that you can follow the instructions in the manual (using cyberduck) - or you can use WinSCP steps that I provided.

There are no methods using a thumbstick - otherwise I would have mentioned it.

On 2/5/2023 at 4:43 PM, Rickster8 said:

I dunno but Papa Pete says the 5 pager and the 6 pager are missing stuff that the 7 pager has..... So I figured I better ask cuz I couldn't get my IP address lastnight trying to transfer roms onto the flashback. I've been able to use the thumb stick though for the roms, but not the box art yet..... This stuff isn't easy for me... Have problems loading roms onto my LTO Flash and problems loading roms onto my flashback. With Atari everything has (transferring roms) been simple even for me... 🥺

Just seeing this now.  Sorry!  Here's the newest version that I have that has 7 pages.  (Well, six and a half).  I believe that this is the most up to date version.  👍

Ultimate Intellivision Flashback Setup - Primary.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Papa Pete said:

Just seeing this now.  Sorry!  Here's the newest version that I have that has 7 pages.  (Well, six and a half).  I believe that this is the most up to date version.  👍

Ultimate Intellivision Flashback Setup - Primary.pdf 190.57 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks, that's neat. 

So, @Rickster8, his instructions for the box art is the same as the older pdf.

You can do that, or you can follow the instructions in my post by putting the art in an images subdirectory, and append "-image" to the file name, as I showed above. 

Both methods work. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

I am not so familiar with Byte Knight's image because I made my own.

Don't worry about your "command prompt" issue. 

To get it setup for wifi there are two methods, and i just tested both methods.

Method #1:

I think he hides the "RetroPie" system, so this is why in his manual he has you manually editing the configuration file.

From his manual (i followed these instructions exactly from his manual):
Plug a USB keyboard into the USB cable extender sticking out of the back of the Ultimate Flashback.

Turn on your Ultimate Flashback

Once the “Intellivision games available” screen pops up, hit F4 on your keyboard to exit into Linux Command Line.

You’re going to edit the wifi network file next. Type this in at the command line prompt:
sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Use the keyboard arrow keys to move through the file.

Change the text inside the quotes to your own wifi network and password:
network={
ssid="network-ssid"
psk="password"
}

Now save the file by pressing ctrl+x then y, then press enter.

Now reboot by typing:
sudo reboot

Method 2:

As mr_me has mentioned, press F4 to get into the console and type in:

sudo raspi-config

When the Raspi-Config opens, this may appear different based on the version of RetroPie used between the current version (what I have) and what older version is used in Byte Knight's image.

As me_mr mentioned you may see a wifi option, but if you don't then select the option that says System Options.

In the System Options then you will select Wireless LAN

Now enter your SSID network name and press Enter on the keyboard.

Then enter in your password and press Enter on the keyboard.

At this point the Pi will immediately connect to your wifi.

You can select Finish and it will exit out to the console.

in the console, you can enter in exit and then it will relauch the emulationstation.

There are other ways to get a pi connected to wifi, but those appear to be the easiest for Byte Knight's Ultimate build.

Ok so as usual method 1 didn't work for me so I tried method 2 and got to the following screen, before I eff up anything please let me know how I should proceed. Thx.... @fdr4prez

1866407242_RaspiConfigPic.jpg.d0f402da9d7d628f1b8fd531113870a6.jpg

1 hour ago, Rickster8 said:

Ok so as usual method 1 didn't work for me so I tried method 2 and got to the following screen, before I eff up anything please let me know how I should proceed. Thx.... @fdr4prez

1866407242_RaspiConfigPic.jpg.d0f402da9d7d628f1b8fd531113870a6.jpg

Ah, that is an older version than mine, so for this you would select Network Options:

raspi-config-on-Raspbian-Stretch-20181113-with-Network-Options-selected-1.jpg

Then in the next screen select Wi-FI:

raspi-config-on-Raspbian-Stretch-20181113-with-Wi-fi-selected-1.png

Then you can enter in your SSID and password.

Then select Finish.

It should auto-connect from there, but you may need to reboot.

Once you are back at the console prompt, then you can enter in:  ipconfig wlan0

This should show you the IP address - assuming it's already connected.  If not, then reboot.

If it is connected, then stay at the Console for now.

Now you can connect with cyberduck or winscp and do whatever needed changes you want.  When you are done with the transfer, then at the console you'd type in exit and now EmulationStation will restart and your changes will be shown.

If you're setting up wifi by editing wpa_supplicant.conf, it's important you surround the ssid name and password in quotes.  If you are using raspi-config to setup wifi, don't put them in quotes.

And you don't necessarily need Wifi to manage files with SFTP.  You can create a network connection by taking the Raspberry Pi to your router and connecting them with an ethernet cable.

You can also transfer and manage files without any network at all through a usb thumb drive.  The Raspberry Pi has a file manager called Midnight Commander that you run with the command "mc".  That's in addition to the automatic file transfer Retropie does when a usb thumb drive is detected.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, mkehner said:

Hello Byte Knight...I know you were taking a break from modding Intellivision Flashbacks, I was curious to see if you have started up again?  really would like to get one...Thanks....Mkehner@aol.com to contact...

Raspberry Pi are extremely hard to get right now, and the vendors seem to be keen on only getting the higher end versions, so overkill and overpriced for a project like this.  The vendors are only getting them in small batches and they sell out within minutes of new stock being posted. 

And the USB interface adapter used for this project is not available and more will not be made unless Byte Knight resumes this project. 

Which is unknown at this time. 

You can use other USB adapters that are out there, but his was bolt-in ready.  Others will be additional work in the build. 

You up for the challenge of making your own? 

PS: you may not want to post your personal email address in a public forum for all the internet to see.