Atari8bitCarts

Deals are out there, all the time.

$100...5 miles from home

20131201_124252_zpsa813d56e.jpg

$175...10 miles from home

20121004_172556_zpsc2c14b2c.jpg

$650...most I've ever spent on a game

DSC_6331.jpg

All in good condition, all working 100%. Anyone who thinks these things cost a lot is either a retailer or simply doesn't know where to look.

Oh, and new bearings/rollers for a Centipede are less than 20 bucks.

• Like 1

Send post the links. I want to contact them and get those.

I already did. Those shots are in my garage. ;)

Those particular three were Craigslist pickups; unfortunately I didn't bother to save the posts. I already showed you a Gyruss that sold right away for $300, and one that someone's been trying to sell for almost half a year at $700. You can do the math on where a good asking price would be, but I'd say it's somewhere closer to the former.

Deals are out there, all the time.

$100...5 miles from home

20131201_124252_zpsa813d56e.jpg

$175...10 miles from home

20121004_172556_zpsc2c14b2c.jpg

$650...most I've ever spent on a game

DSC_6331.jpg

All in good condition, all working 100%. Anyone who thinks these things cost a lot is either a retailer or simply doesnlook.

Oh, and new bearings/rollers for a Centipede are less than 20 bucks.

Your the best, now clue me in on how to make people in the Pac. N.W. sell there cabs. cheaper. I am not a "retailer" so I guess I simply do not know where to look. Help me find better deals for pre-1988 cabs. I am looking for good - perfect machines. I am currently looking for Star Wars, Crossbow, Space Ace, Dragons Lair, Thayer's Quest, Super Don Quixote, Badlands, a minty Gorf (mines beat up), Tron, QIX, and a W.O.W.

Edited by Mxyzptlk

I am currently looking for Star Wars, Crossbow, Space Ace, Dragons Lair, Thayer's Quest, Super Don Quixote, Badlands, a minty Gorf (mines beat up), Tron, QIX, and a W.O.W.

You're not even being serious...seven of those are usually four figure games. It can be years before a Thayer's Quest comes up. Hell, I agonized over a $2900 Star Rider in Denver simply because working ones only turn up every few years or so.

Overpay for common stuff like Gyruss if you want; I'm not doing your work for you. If you really want to find games, start networking. Facebook collector groups and KLOV are great for finding like-minded local guys who can keep an eye out for things. I'm in the California arcade collectors group on FB even though I'm in Chicago. I picked up my Red Baron and Gorf because a friend-of-a-friend got in touch with me.

Attend gaming conventions like CAX and MAGfest. I'll be at the Midwest Gaming Classic next month, as I have been for the past several years. Not only are there connections to be made, but at the close of the show there are all kinds of deals to be had.

Get in good with local arcade/barcade owners. Try Steve Barbey, who owns Grinkers out your direction. He's amassed quite a collection, including one of my games, and I guarantee he hasn't overpaid for them. What he does have is an extensive network to sniff out the deals.

Make sure you know how arcade machines work. I bought my Centipede for $175 "not working." When I got it home, I popped the coin door interlock and the test switch. That was it. The cab's in almost perfect condition. You'll always pay top dollar for restored or minty examples. Learn to do the basic woodworking and paint work yourself. Make sure you know about places like Phoenix Arcade, GameOnGrafix and This OId Game for repro artwork.

No none is going to "make" anyone sell cabs cheaper. We've got a guy here who has had several common cabs on eBay for $2500 and up for months. Make them a common sense offer. If they refuse, ignore them and move on.

This whole thread has dragged out because no one was falling all over themselves to pick up an $800 Gyruss. I'm trying to explain why, but apparently no one wants to listen.

Edited by racerx
  • Like 1

It seems like folks don't want to put in the effort.

Arcade Collecting is no different from anything else. You can either put in the legwork to find good deals or you can pay the people that do.

I think what has been missed here is that the title "Anyone interested in Gyruss..." somehow got confused (it seems to be a trend on Atariage to hijack threads for other discussions) with I'm asking for pricing, or anything else.

I collect Atari 8bit carts, it's what I do. My first Super Zaxxon was $300. One in the middle of my collecting was $4.95.

I get there are "finds".

It depends on who wants it, and how much are they willing to pay.

If this coin-op was so common I'd easily be able to find it somewhere. eBay didn't have one. I searched some arcade sites, none.

I've built from scratch a 412-in-one Dk/Galaga machine. I've refurb a Ms. Pacman. Arcade machines are great!

So if you're interested in it, contact me. That's all.

With arcade games it all depends on your area. I know I've heard from people in the Pacific Northwest before and pickings are slim for whatever reason. It probably has something to do with the density of the Coin-Op business in your region in the 80s and 90s. That's why say I wouldn't pay more than $200ish for a Centipede whilst other parts of the country would consider one at twice that a bargain.

We're lucky in Florida because obviously tourism is one of our major industries. Hence there were probably more arcade machines down here than most states and even after the arcades dried up there are still a large number floating around which keeps supply high.

Unfortunately as time progresses games are going to be scarcer and scarcer across the board as what few ops are left have already sold out all the games sitting in storage and retired.

There's an arcade that I take my daughter to now and then, called Boomers. It used to be called Grand Prix Race-O-Ramma... but it changed hands. They have a huge warehouse in the back with a ton of games in it. Maybe.. 20% of their games on the floor are vintage (IE: older than JAMMA), but they don't last too long before they end up in the back again (probably in disrepair). But they always have something new (old as hell) back out again.

You're not even being serious...seven of those are usually four figure games. It can be years before a Thayer's Quest comes up. Hell, I agonized over a $2900 Star Rider in Denver simply because working ones only turn up every few years or so.

Overpay for common stuff like Gyruss if you want; I'm not doing your work for you. If you really want to find games, start networking. Facebook collector groups and KLOV are great for finding like-minded local guys who can keep an eye out for things. I'm in the California arcade collectors group on FB even though I'm in Chicago. I picked up my Red Baron and Gorf because a friend-of-a-friend got in touch with me.

Attend gaming conventions like CAX and MAGfest. I'll be at the Midwest Gaming Classic next month, as I have been for the past several years. Not only are there connections to be made, but at the close of the show there are all kinds of deals to be had.

Get in good with local arcade/barcade owners. Try Steve Barbey, who owns Grinkers out your direction. He's amassed quite a collection, including one of my games, and I guarantee he hasn't overpaid for them. What he does have is an extensive network to sniff out the deals.

Make sure you know how arcade machines work. I bought my Centipede for $175 "not working." When I got it home, I popped the coin door interlock and the test switch. That was it. The cab's in almost perfect condition. You'll always pay top dollar for restored or minty examples. Learn to do the basic woodworking and paint work yourself. Make sure you know about places like Phoenix Arcade, GameOnGrafix and This OId Game for repro artwork.

No none is going to "make" anyone sell cabs cheaper. We've got a guy here who has had several common cabs on eBay for $2500 and up for months. Make them a common sense offer. If they refuse, ignore them and move on.

This whole thread has dragged out because no one was falling all over themselves to pick up an $800 Gyruss. I'm trying to explain why, but apparently no one wants to listen.

Yeah, I am serious, no clue why you said that.