IGNORED

At work today...

Muzz73

Yep, that's one of the reasons I dislike the wastage and hypocrisy of big companies. Especially the ones that hide behind "eco".. Yet we practice the same thing. A lot has to do with liability and perceived profit/loss. It's also unfortunate that many companies bring out the worst of the instinctual behaviors.

Edited by Keatah

Why fired?? They hate the world? Think it needs more junk?

If OP takes it there are tax implications for their employer. :( http://smallbusiness.chron.com/company-sells-depreciated-asset-70063.html giving it to an employee would be seen as selling it, whatever the current fair value of the item is would be the value to my understanding.

Back in 93-95 (at 8-10 years old) I'd email, call, and snail mail companies all over Indy and nearby areas asking what they do with their old computers and it was always pretty much 'they go into the garbage' and I'd ask if they'd be willing to give some of them to me and I'd always get sure sure then I'd get bounced around the companies before either their legal department or accountants got back to me saying they couldn't do it unless I was a 501c3. Sadly the companies I was reaching out to were stuff like Allisons Transmission, Eli Lilly etc so I couldn't even just go dumpster dive around tax time (although didn't stop me from doing it to small businesses, I'd get perfectly functional cash registers, one time I found a 100ish pound brass cash register and recruited friends and some ninja-neering to get it out of the dumpster and sold it to someone for 200$ which let me have an awesome time at the arcade in PCB, FL that summer on our family vacation... oh and you would be alarmed at what banks used to throw away in the 90's in unlocked regular dumpsters, not even in trash bags half the time... the carbon copies from credit card transactions, deposit/withdrawal forms with full account info etc).

OK, I just asked the IS guy in charge of e-waste and it's a 42" CRT. Not only that, there are two of them they are throwing out, each having only about 200 hours of use on them.

I think I'm going to be sick.

The IS guy?

Hell those Islamic State guys are even more horrible than I thought!

• Like 2

plan b - contact the recycling/waste company they are going to have to spend money getting rid of them :)

I think this might work and could be worth a try.

Once it's transferred over to the recycling company, it's out of your employer's jurisdiction.

So you could let the people at the recycling company know that if they don't want it, then you're interested in it. Then they can decide..

The idea is that my company doesn't want the serial # traced back to them...

I guess they are terrified of the notion that a huge CRT would go onto my desk (over the support legs, of course) and that they would somehow be implicated in the display of Mr. Do!, Fort Apocalypse & Atari Writer in the privacy of my home office. :P

Edited by Muzz73
  • Like 1

The idea is that my company doesn't want the serial # traced back to them...

I guess they are terrified of the notion that a huge CRT would go onto my desk (over the support legs, of course) and that they would somehow be implicated in the display of Mr. Do!, Fort Apocalypse & Atari Writer in the privacy of my home office. :P

Wow! That's a stretch.

So they actually sent in the registration cards for all their TVs? (or logged every serial number of every TV they ever purchased?)

I've never actually heard of the person who purchased a television being liable for the content that's being displayed on said TV. In that case, I guess giving a TV to someone as a gift is just asking for prison time. ;-) If they're that worried about it, why don't they just do you and the environment a favor and sell the thing to you for a dollar, give you an official bill of sale, and keep a copy of the invoice for themselves?

A bit like tracing the droids back to their original owners, I guess.... Ultimately, it's like worrying about science fiction.

• Like 1

I know, it sounds ridiculous, but that is their excuse/reasoning... they don't want the serial number traced back to them somehow.

Ugh... it's not like a someone using a PC formerly owned by said company to hack into a remote system and cause problems; it's a TV/monitor! Data goes into it one way! :mad:

Maddening, this...

OK, I just asked the IS guy in charge of e-waste and it's a 42" CRT. Not only that, there are two of them they are throwing out, each having only about 200 hours of use on them.

I think I'm going to be sick.

You need a forklift to carry a 42" CRT. I remember moving my 32" SONY upstairs to my bedroom when I first moved-into my current home. I was lucky and somehow managed to do it by myself but it wasn't easy. I wouldn't attempt it again. That's mainly why it is still in my bedroom :)

• Like 1

The 2nd heaviest set I had was a 32" CRT. The 1st heaviest was an early 50" plasma. The 32" I could easily handle on my own, but not the plasma! I now have another 50" plasma (Panasonic) that is newer (not new by any means) and it is much lighter than that 1st Philips one I had. The Panasonic is still too much to manage by me alone though. Also have a Sony 55" LCD backlit by LED. Wow is that thing lighter than the rest. I could manage that one almost but for the girth of it. The weight is manageable.

Edited by fujidude

Thats why i stick to 14 inch crt, Easy to move around, doesnt take up lots of space, And actually one get used to the size, its a matter of the setup i decribed earlier.

That said One might go to 20 inch crt. obvious bigger and bulkier than 14 inch. ... For me 20 inch CRT is the biggest i would go for Atari 8-bits or eventually other retro console computer stuff.

But those 14 inch are kinda cute so i mostly stick to those for the moment.

Edited by BioFreeze
  • Like 1

Thats why i stick to 14 inch crt, Easy to move around, doesnt take up lots of space, And actually one get used to the size, its a matter of the setup i decribed earlier.

That said One might go to 20 inch crt. obvious bigger and bulkier than 14 inch. ... For me 20 inch CRT is the biggest i would go for Atari 8-bits or eventually other retro console computer stuff.

But those 14 inch are kinda cute so i mostly stick to those for the moment.

If one is using a machine that doesn't have a "desktop" with multiple "windows", I can totally agree with that. For me, larger sizes are good for being able to spread multiple windows around and have less hidden behind. I guess if were using FJC's new GUI he is developing, that might provide cause for pause. ;-)

Larger resolutions enable the spreading around of multiple windows, but since the A8's resolution stays the same regardless of the size of the tube, 14" should be just fine for most purposes unless one's eyesight is especially poor.

Oops. Of course. I was so bedazzled by the cool looking screen shots of GOS that it made me think of it in terms of a GUI that sports higher res desktops.

• 1 month later...

In the US, there are a lot of accounting laws that need to be followed for legal and financial reasons. There is a very big difference between "scrapping/writing off" something to an official disposal company or dumping it in the trash and worse yet "donating" to someone or another organization let alone an employee of said company. Sometimes they are even stranger -- some devices need to be plugged in and turned on for proper depreciation no matter how useless the devices is anymore.