IGNORED

My First Spreadsheet - VCS Purchase in 1981

edladdin

I never dreamed that this document still existed, but I just ran across the original price comparison spreadsheet I made when I was 11 (1981), when I was angling to get the best value possible on buying my VCS. I'd worked all summer in a family business for $1.00/hour to save the money, so it was a big deal to get a good price. I called all the stores and not only got the prices for the "module" and the various controllers, but also made the clerks list everything that came in the boxes. I knew the Sears version was different than what I had seen in some other stores, so I was checking to see if there were any additional options/variations out there. I also inquired about the cost of other game "tapes".

One interesting thing revealed was that the final price was $159.95 from Lazarus. My recollection all these years was that I had paid $119.99, which is a pretty big error. So much for the strength of memory...

Anyhow, thought y'all might get a kick out of this - my first spreadsheet. BTW, I still love them! For comparison, I've also attached my current 2600 spreadsheet!

Atari 2600 List-2015-02-28.pdf

post-40253-0-82419700-1425509620_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I love it! Downtown Lazurus and Eastland Mall. Did you grow up in Columbus, Ohio?

You nailed it! I lived in Columbus from age 5 to 10, then after my folks split up my time was split between Ohio and Georgia. My mom still lives there, so Columbus is still very much on my radar.

• Like 1

It is always interesting to see the original prices, especially for accessories (e.g. extra paddles, keypad controller) that are not always included in the newspaper or magazine advertisements.

• Like 1

I never dreamed that this document still existed, but I just ran across the original price comparison spreadsheet I made when I was 11 (1981), when I was angling to get the best value possible on buying my VCS. I'd worked all summer in a family business for $1.00/hour to save the money, so it was a big deal to get a good price. I called all the stores and not only got the prices for the "module" and the various controllers, but also made the clerks list everything that came in the boxes. I knew the Sears version was different than what I had seen in some other stores, so I was checking to see if there were any additional options/variations out there. I also inquired about the cost of other game "tapes".

Your that kind of kid huh? That is something I would have done. I even remember reading the manuals and game catalogs into my tape recorder so I could archive it for future use. You know, just in case the manual disappeared.

• Like 1