IGNORED

Carnival Is A Amazing Fun Game!

RelliK111

Although some people seem to consider it too simple, I've always really enjoyed playing Carnival. Even if you're very good, it gets hard pretty fast, and games don't last that long.

The bear stages are a fun change of pace, and shooting "negative shots" makes me grit my teeth every time.

I remember I also used to play the coin-op version before I got a Colecovision (I think it tended to be available when there was a line waiting to play games like Space Invaders, Asteroids, and Pacman).

Some might not see it this way but I always felt that Carnival is one of those games that defined the system for me. Truly arcade perfect and still fun to play today. Nothing like getting down to a bullet or two left and pulling a game out of the fire to clear a stage. Conversely, also nothing like seeing a screen full of ducks with no way in hell of clearing them all.

I totally agree! Carnival is one of those games that I rediscovered a few months ago. It is super fun and challenging, and has great arcade sound fx! I remember when I went to my neighbor's house and played it as a 10-year old kid. Although we had been fully into Donkey Kong for a while, Carnival (without multi-level excitement like DK) happened to be extraordinarily entertaining. I still think that it is, after playing several good 20 minute rounds. I hope one day I can get beyond level 3 or 4 and target the bears more accurately. :)

I am at work right now, so I can't test this..but does the Easter Egg work in the Colecovision version too, or just the 2600 version? I remember doing it as a kid on my 2600, but never tried it on the CV.

"Hold down the fire button while turning on the Atari 2600. A small white dot appears on the playing field with the other targets. Shoot the dot, and the message "Program by S. Kitchen" appears."

I am at work right now, so I can't test this..but does the Easter Egg work in the Colecovision version too, or just the 2600 version? I remember doing it as a kid on my 2600, but never tried it on the CV.

"Hold down the fire button while turning on the Atari 2600. A small white dot appears on the playing field with the other targets. Shoot the dot, and the message "Program by S. Kitchen" appears."[/size]

Probably not, but... S. Kitchen, as in Steve Kitchen, programmer of Space Shuttle? He worked for a game for Coleco? I didn't know that. :)

I saw a cool video about Carnival that made me want to play it and post some high scores so I thought I would share:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QyLKtVp1HNg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Man thx for the post, I totally learned a lot about this game, like shooting the letters to spell BONUS... Better late then never...

Several years ago, I went to an arcade auction at the Michigan State Fairgrounds. All anyone there cared about was GALAGA-PAC MAN-MS. PAC MAN, basically. They wouldn't bid on any other machine because they were all saving their money to bid on the same old games, ala Galaga. They would then proceed to bid them up to something stupid like $3,000. There was an excellent condition 'Carnival' there that went cheap. The auctioneer was like "$25 - anyone? Anyone?".

When I was young Carnival didn't have the aliens or other baddies I wanted in my shooting games. I changed my mind about a decade ago and love playing every version I've tried. The ColecoVision port is definitely a lot of fun.

Agreed.. when I first played Carnival as a kid I could NOT fathom why a game would give you a limited amount of shots. This made the game very intimidating to me. :lol: So I skipped it for a long time. Mind you, this was in the arcade long before there was any home ports.. or any Colecovision for that matter. However in later years, playing it on emulators and then getting the carts for my consoles I have to say it's one of my favs.