IGNORED

Programming the Lynx for a living - blank carts

karri

You just hit my lazyness. The readcart just reads the cart into cart.lnx in the current directory. You may want to give it a parameter in some cases. Like

readcart 1024

reads 1024 bytes/block stuff

Usually it finds out automatically the size of the carts.

The software will hopefully improve (a lot) in the days to come. Just now I believe that programcart is better.

Perhaps you need to have a look at the readcart.c and run

make readcart

Hi karri,

I tried again but it still appears that nothing is happening with readcart.

I tried sudo ./readcart 1024 and hit enter. What is it that should happen? Does it read the cart in much the same way it writes to the cart?

Rgds

Mark

I have not updated these for a while. My versions prints the first 2048 bytes of the cart and then it tells you what size it believes the cart is. After that it reads the content into car.lnx.

root@raspberry-pi:/opt/lynx/contrib/blankcart/programmer# ./readcart
Read Lynx cart to cart.lnx
fb c5 bf a3 9a f7 15 80 72 68 bd 31 b9 6e 20 04

256k cart blocksize 1024

I attached my version.

readcart.zip

I have not updated these for a while. My versions prints the first 2048 bytes of the cart and then it tells you what size it believes the cart is. After that it reads the content into car.lnx.

root@raspberry-pi:/opt/lynx/contrib/blankcart/programmer# ./readcart

Read Lynx cart to cart.lnx

fb c5 bf a3 9a f7 15 80 72 68 bd 31 b9 6e 20 04

256k cart blocksize 1024

I attached my version.

I copied the files into /opt/lynx/contrib/blankcart/programmer, renamed the old ones first just in case. It errors when I do sudo ./readcart I get command not found. I tried 'make readcart' and get lots of undefined references. Sorry I'm not being much help here.

I copied the files into /opt/lynx/contrib/blankcart/programmer, renamed the old ones first just in case. It errors when I do sudo ./readcart I get command not found. I tried 'make readcart' and get lots of undefined references. Sorry I'm not being much help here.

You probably are logged in as root already (you should see prompt like "root@raspberry-pi:"). So, no 'sudo' is needed before readcart command. Just ./readcart should do. I don't have Karri's cart yet, just noticed the discussion :)

The software is still just a feasibility study. I try to push my changes to bitbucket soon.

You build the code by

cd /opt/lynx/contrib/blankcart/programmer

make readcart

The command not found means that your readcart is not executable. Do

chmod +x readcart

Then it should work.

I try to get the rest of the programmers done soon.

Edited by karri

I just got the chips for the first large batch. The boards should arrive by DHL next week.

Before setting up the items I plan to put one board together and test that everything still works.

The 3D covers will change slightly. The previous stl model was too thick. The support pins were also too thick and in wrong places. But if you cannot find a cheap local 3D print you can also just glue a 1.5mm plastic sheet on the lower part of the cart and leave the chips visible.

The Lynx carts should be here tomorrow. I also updated the prices on my shop page to real values. As soon as I have tested one cart I will send a message to this thread and then you can put in your orders. There is no hurry. I got 100 carts so they last for a while.

I got all the parts now. Tested one cart and it appears to work just fine. So whenever you feel a need for blank carts go to http://discohat.com/shop/. Pick your options and place your order.

Edit: the part 93C86 (2k) was not the same that was used in the old games like MegaPak I. Those games used 93C46 (128 bytes). Fortunately the footprint is the same so I will add the 93C46 as an option. I believe the cost is 25 cents.

Edited by karri

• 1 month later...

Finally, finally got around to setting this all up. Went pretty smoothly I must say. Nearly there.

Long story short: Retropie is running now with the readcart.zip contents from Karri's improved version for readcart. I managed to read Batman Returns into cart.lnx and transfer it back to my PC. There is turns out that there is something weird. After the header it will read sequences of 12 bytes, as three groups of repeating bytes. It is more clearly shown in the screenshots from hexedit.

post-27403-0-55018800-1454365752_thumb.jpg

I did a simple

sudo ./readcart

to read the ROM file. It took a couple of minutes.

So, am I doing something wrong here?

Next is the writing of a file to the cartridge. I am also hit by the error that appears to be in the earlier picture:

Problem 0​

Problem 0

Problem 0

Manufacturer fb chip c5

Cannot recognize the right type of chip for this programmer

Just posting it here, as others may run into this as well.

It appears that the address pin A2 is stuck to zero for some reason. The content wraps over every 4 bytes.

I also wrote another simple program called testpins. It will set all the pins to zero and go through one pin at a time looking for shorts. As every pin can be set to either input or output I found this tool to be the fastest check to see if the connections are ok.

I am a bit late in my developing of the utilities. The reason is that my Tiko 3D printer is late, so I cannot make large quantities of cart covers. If I could I would soon be publishing my updated "Shaken, not stirred" :D

Edited by karri

Thanks Karri for the feedback. I will check my soldering and see if I missed something. Would a bridge soldering that is not good be the reason for a stuck zero?

I've soldered the place where you need to bridge to a lynx cartridge connector and soldered the connector there.

Do you have the source and/or exe for testpins available?

Alex

I got all the parts now. Tested one cart and it appears to work just fine. So whenever you feel a need for blank carts go to http://discohat.com/shop/. Pick your options and place your order.

Edit: the part 93C86 (2k) was not the same that was used in the old games like MegaPak I. Those games used 93C46 (128 bytes). Fortunately the footprint is the same so I will add the 93C46 as an option. I believe the cost is 25 cents.

Just a remark:

I did (for Lynxmans Flash Cart) eeprom reading and writing code for 93c56,66,76,86 reading and writing code.

Not sure if I released the code to public, but a read/write test can be found here http://bjoern.spruck.net/lynx/eestest.o(BLL style executeable)

Just a remark:

I did (for Lynxmans Flash Cart) eeprom reading and writing code for 93c56,66,76,86 reading and writing code.

Not sure if I released the code to public, but a read/write test can be found here http://bjoern.spruck.net/lynx/eestest.o(BLL style executeable)

The code you wrote for all these chips has been part of cc65 since you shared it.

In lynx/tools/cc65/libsrc/lynx/ eeprom46.s eeprom66.s and eeprom86.s

Thanks sage.

• 7 months later...