IGNORED

Feelies and other Stuff?

Today's Dilbert was funny in the context of this thread...

attachicon.gifproduct_design.gif

(At least, I got a chuckle.)

Anyone who's ever ordered enterprise gear from IBM knows exactly where this comic is coming from. No joke, I've received a single CD in a 2 cu ft box. The best is the pair of screws that came in a box big enough to hold a pair of workboots.

Of course you could develop a game that is partly board based, partly computer based. Things like Brian Clough's Football Fortunes (Amstrad CPC, Atari 8-bit, Atari ST, Acorn Electron, BBC Micro, Commodore 64, Commodore Plus/4, Commodore Amiga, MSX, PC DOS, ZX Spectrum) comes to my mind. It would be a monster to make copies of, and pretty useless without the board, player cards, money etc. You could even put the ROM part for free download, since it would hold little value for those who don't own the entire board game.

Edited by carlsson

Anyone who's ever ordered enterprise gear from IBM knows exactly where this comic is coming from. No joke, I've received a single CD in a 2 cu ft box. The best is the pair of screws that came in a box big enough to hold a pair of workboots.

I have no issue with overly large packaging if the item is secure inside. I remember ordering a 3.5" hard drive for work in the early 1990's. The shipping dept just threw the bare drive into a 1 cubic foot box. No bubble wrap, foam peanuts - nothing. Needless to say the drive didn't survive the trip. I had a serious fight with the vendor's RMA dept who didn't want to believe that the drive was damaged in shipping.

Today's Dilbert was funny in the context of this thread...

attachicon.gifproduct_design.gif

(At least, I got a chuckle.)

I have the feeling this cartoon is a little bit outdated. The boxes are getting smaller and smaller. Last week I saw in a shop a new game for the Playstation Vita on the shelf. It was only a card with the download code. ;)

I have the feeling this cartoon is a little bit outdated. The boxes are getting smaller and smaller. Last week I saw in a shop a new game for the Playstation Vita on the shelf. It was only a card with the download code. ;)

I guess it depends on the vendor. And 'sides, we need to interpret this in a classic gaming context. :D

• 4 weeks later...