IGNORED

Best bet for a cheap spinner

Apologies if I'm repeating myself, as I'm absolutely sure I've asked this before. However, I was wondering what my best option was for a cheap, no muss arcade-style dial. I did make one for myself a couple of years back, but I was never completely satisfied with the results, and nearly sliced off the top of my thumb in the process (it's a small wonder I didn't end up with nerve damage). Now I just want something I can plug into my computer and use, that costs as little as possible and takes as little effort to assemble as possible. I considered a Namco JogCon, but I don't know if PC drivers are programmed to read it properly. The Stelladapter is another possibility, but I don't know if I can find it and a driving controller for a reasonable price. Decisions, decisions...

What are you planning to use it with? Resolution matters when picking a spinner. IIRC, the Atari driving controller only has about 12 clicks per revolution so its very low res.

You could build a nice arcade quality usb one with this, but it's not cheap : http://www.ultimarc.com/SpinTrak.html

I have a USB Griffin Powermate volume control, it can be configured for use in Mame etc pretty easily.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffin_PowerMate

Edited by KidQuaalude

I could swear I've seen something like this in a Musicians Friend catalog. It was made by TASCAM or Alesis, a dedicated jog wheel/volume control for recording on the PC.

Think you talking about the shuttle xpress.

I have bought a shuttlexpress pro for editing video's, but after switching to win 7 i couldn't use it any more.

post-5654-0-11114300-1427068087_thumb.jpg

Build one using a Ball Mouse. There are also controllers that can work as a Spinner.

Arcade Spinner Mod: Tempest Method - JogCon - XBox Spinner

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=353752#p353752

I get that people don't want to spend $70 on a beautiful, well designed, solidly built, reliable, and comfortable arcade spinner. But using a dolly wheel as a spinner knob is just wrong on so many levels. That was a lot of work to make that, only to finish it off with a kludge like a dolly wheel. Especially when an arcade knob to properly finish things off costs $10, barely more than the dolly wheel used in that project.

• Like 1

I get that people don't want to spend $70 on a beautiful, well designed, solidly built, reliable, and comfortable arcade spinner. But using a dolly wheel as a spinner knob is just wrong on so many levels. That was a lot of work to make that, only to finish it off with a kludge like a dolly wheel. Especially when an arcade knob to properly finish things off costs $10, barely more than the dolly wheel used in that project.

where can I get an Atari arcade spinner knob for ten bucks ? (ie. Tempest or Warlords)

Hunt for an Atari paddle at a yard sale and pop off the top. I've done that a couple of times. For added weight and spin, hot glue a few pennies into the underside.

The paddle tops have a half-circle notch which fits into a peg on the base of the paddle. You can make your own peg with a wooden dowel, but for the love of Pete be careful! You don't want to carve your thumb while carving the dowel. (Like I did. Bleech.)

Build one using a Ball Mouse. There are also controllers that can work as a Spinner.

Arcade Spinner Mod: Tempest Method - JogCon - XBox Spinner

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=353752#p353752

Thanks for the negativity. You could add whatever topper wheel you like. My Guide shows using simple to find parts produces a quality roller bearing solid spinner. I actully like the caster wheel as a nice large handle for my big paws. There is satisfaction in custom building you own setup, the Arcade stick works in a PSX, PC and even a 2600!

post-27490-0-78453000-1427157298_thumb.jpg

Edited by CRTGAMER

where can I get an Atari arcade spinner knob for ten bucks ? (ie. Tempest or Warlords)

I have no idea where to get an Atari arcade knob for $10.

However, quality arcade spinner knobs are out there for reasonable prices. I have no idea if these knobs work work on Atari arcade machine controls without modification.

$12 for an arcade spinner knob from Ultimarc

$14.95 for anodized spinner knob from Groovy Game Gear

Suzo Happ has arcade spinner knobs, although they appear to be starting at $20.

I got mine for $10 from Groovy Game Gear, admittedly that was in 2013.

There are tons of other decent options. Many people have success with volume control knobs. Notice how many nice looking knobs are available in the first few pages of that Google search, many for under $10. Obviously, the specs of the original Atari arcade controls (like shaft width and length) would determine what to buy.

There are spinner knobs on eBay sold specifically for Atari machines. $35. I don't know if they're any good or not. It's amazing what an eBay search will pull up.

My point was why pay $6, then spend the time to hack a dolly wheel from a hardware store, resulting in something that looks pretty awful, when a real knob is available for only a few dollars more.

Thanks for the negativity. You could add whatever topper wheel you like. My Guide shows using simple to find parts produces a quality roller bearing solid spinner. I actully like the caster wheel as a nice large handle for my big paws. There is satisfaction in custom building you own setup, the Arcade stick works in a PSX, PC and even a 2600!

attachicon.gifArcade Controller Mod 21.jpg

I appreciate the work you put into the spinner and panel. I have also built spinners using the guts of a ball mouse. It is a lot of work to get it working reliably.

It is because I appreciate the effort that you put into that panel that I reacted to the appearance of the knob. I personally feel it that if it only costs a few dollars more to make something that is both useful and attractive, it's worth it.

Sorry for the offense.

I have no idea where to get an Atari arcade knob for $10.

However, quality arcade spinner knobs are out there for reasonable prices. I have no idea if these knobs work work on Atari arcade machine controls without modification.

$12 for an arcade spinner knob from Ultimarc

$14.95 for anodized spinner knob from Groovy Game Gear

Suzo Happ has arcade spinner knobs, although they appear to be starting at $20.

I got mine for $10 from Groovy Game Gear, admittedly that was in 2013.

There are tons of other decent options. Many people have success with volume control knobs. Notice how many nice looking knobs are available in the first few pages of that Google search, many for under $10. Obviously, the specs of the original Atari arcade controls (like shaft width and length) would determine what to buy.

There are spinner knobs on eBay sold specifically for Atari machines. $35. I don't know if they're any good or not. It's amazing what an eBay search will pull up.

My point was why pay $6, then spend the time to hack a dolly wheel from a hardware store, resulting in something that looks pretty awful, when a real knob is available for only a few dollars more.

thanks for all the links ... Ebay one showed a pic of this website's keychain http://www.arcadeadventures.com/spinner-knob-for-atari-games-new/

got it from there, & will let you know how it looks next to an origonal

right now I have modded a knob off a gas grille :P

rIjW3gL.jpg

• Like 1

What I'd done in the past was connect a dial to a flywheel with a pole on the bottom. Attached to the bottom of the pole was a circular piece of plastic set just over a flipped laser mouse. This has worked to some degree, but not perfectly. It actually worked great at first, but repeated attempts to solder in buttons kind of ruined it.

I'm giving some thought to retrieving the spindle from a broken hard drive. I've heard they spin quite freely and have good inertia. The problem is actually finding a broken hard drive, which is harder than you might think...

Can anyone vouch for this controller, by the way? It's tempting!

I reviewed various "spinner/driving" controllers in my Spinner Guide, see my earlier post link. You'll be surprised what games actually work with the Mega Racer, neGcon and even an obscure 360 stick that has a hidden spinner for the PC.

I appreciate the work you put into the spinner and panel. I have also built spinners using the guts of a ball mouse. It is a lot of work to get it working reliably.

It is because I appreciate the effort that you put into that panel that I reacted to the appearance of the knob. I personally feel it that if it only costs a few dollars more to make something that is both useful and attractive, it's worth it.

Sorry for the offense.

I appreciate that. Can you post a link to your Guide, interested in seeing a different approach to a ball mkouse mod.

Edited by CRTGAMER

CRT: Is the third mode, the jog spinner mode, recognized by computers? I watched a little footage of the controller on YouTube and noticed that the dial snaps back in place when you release it, which is NOT what I want out of a dial. If I were to get this controller, I would be hooking it up to a PC using an adapter, and I'd be using the jog spinner mode exclusively.

I appreciate that. Can you post a link to your Guide, interested in seeing a different approach to a ball mkouse mod.

I made my ball mouse spinner in August 2009. In the previous months I read several other threads/blogs/guides from others, all of which I referenced to make mine. The info I found was detailed enough that I didn't have to figure out much to make mine.

I've searched and couldn't find anything similar to what I remember. I must be senile because I thought at least 3 of those projects were posted here at Atari Age :D

CRTGamer: Could really use your input over here! Can the jog spinner mode be used on PCs with an adapter?

Have not tried it on the PC. It should work the same way as if a PS1 controller with adapter. I imagine the jog mode will emulate the analog stick so it would not be as rapid response as a Mouse or Trakball.

• 3 years later...

Jess! It's Jess, of the future! Don't buy that Mega Racer controller! It's total crap! ...aw damn, you did it already, didn't you. Gotta work on that time travel technology...

At the moment, I'm considering a volume knob for all my Arkanoidal needs. The price is okay... not fantastic, but certainly better than dedicated arcade spinners. The big problem here is making it work with other applications. I want it to work as the X axis of a mouse, and I'm not sure that's possible. I guess I could assign volume to left and right in MAME, but I Don'T WaNT mY gAMeS tO sOUnD likE thIS.

The easiest spinner is to use an optical usb mouse, a fidget spinner, some type of firm thin disk about 1.5 inches in diameter, a knob of choice and some Krazy glue. This is all very inexpensive and requires minimum time and no special skills to create, like $25, or less if you have extra mice and glue already. The fidget spinner acts as a basically frictionless spinner, so it'll spin 15 times or so from a single twist. The main peculiarity of this method is that the buttons end up on the bottom of the spinner because you use the mouse upside down. Also, the bottom of the spinner is curved (top of mouse) so it sits a little skewed when not in use, as far as aesthetics.

Also, as far as using usb mice in general as controllers, I sometimes see the right mouse button/B1 acting in its original function for some reason, which messes up playing, like in Tempest for the super-zapper 2nd button.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/274614-mame-and-mouse-button-b1/?p=3941212

Edit: Since you are using a usb mouse, you can also use an adapter to use it on Amiga and Atari systems, among others. Also, someone is making a direct Amiga usb optical mouse at one of the couple main online Amiga stores, although it is about $40, IIRC.

I picked up an Ultimarc Spin-Trak last year for my MAME cabinet. It is an excellent-quality piece of kit, works wonderfully, but it's damn expensive for what you get. By the time I paid for shipping, etc. I'm pretty sure I was out $100 or so. Maybe $120. I forget.

And I'm fine with spending a hundy on indulgences like this, but the thing is, I'm just not convinced there are enough fun spinner games to justify that price tag. I've gone through the entire MAME catalog to make a list of spinner games and they're pretty few and far between. Of the games I did find, only some of them are any fun to play.

Normally I'm not much into dirt-cheap hacks, but I can totally see how finding one for a spinner makes sense.

I found this list of spinner mame games. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=20283.0

There's another list there of spinner steering wheel games, e.g. pole position, turbo, fire truck, night driver. Note that pot based rotary controls are not included e.g. super breakout, outrun. Some games below have dual joystick spinner controls e.g. tron, ikari warriors. The only one that I'm really concerned with is Tempest.

720 degrees

Aqua Jack

Arkanoid

Arkanoid - Revenge of DOH

Atari Mini Golf

Aztarac

Beatmania (all)

Blasteroids

Boxing Bugs

Burmuda Triangle

Caliber 50

Cameltry

Car Polo

Cerberus

Cosmic Chasm

Cyvern

Dark Planet

DownTown

Embargo

Exterminator

Fighting Soccer

Forgotten Worlds

Gals Panic 4

Gals Panic S - Extra Edition

Gals Panic S2

Ghox

Gigas

Gigas Mark II

Gondomania

Guerilla War

Guts'n

Heavy Barrel

Hiphopmania Complete Mix 2

Ikari III - The Rescue

Ikari Warriors

Jan Jan Paradise

Jan Jan Paradise 2

Kaiser Knuckle

Kick

Kozmik Kroozr

Major Havoc

Midnight Resistance

Moonwar

Off the Wall (Atari)

Off the Wall (Sente)

Omega Race

Panic Street

Plump Pop

Pop 'n Bounce / Gapporin

Prebillian

Puzz Loop

Quester

Razzmatazz

Riddle of Pythagoras

Road Blasters

SAR - Search And Rescue

Sengeki Striker

Sen-Know

Star Trek

Subs

T.N.K. III

Tac/Stan

Tel Jan

Tempest

Time Soldiers

TouchDown Fever

Tron

Two Tigers

Victory

Victory Road

Vs Block Breaker

Vs Mahjong Otome Ryouran

Wall Crash

Wheel of Fortune

Wolf Pack

Zektor

Zwackery

Edit: maybe mad planets and crater raider are missing from the list

When sourcing a spinner controller make sure it is an actual digital quadrature control e.g. mouse axis. Potentiometer based rotary controls are equivalent to an analog joystick axis and are very different. Mame maps them all together.

Edited by mr_me