IGNORED

I'm almost afraid to ask this emulator question...

Omega-TI

Last time I came across an easy to setup and use emulator with software, I got sucked back into real hardware. The problem is, I'm having nostalgia pains for the 'ol Mod III. So, I'm now asking...

Does anyone have a nice, easy to setup and use emulator for the TRS-80 Model III? If so, could you please post a link or download here? What ever it is, it'll need to run under Windoze 7. ThanX.

I use and can recommend Matthew Reed's Model 1/III/4 emulator for Windows: http://www.trs-80emulators.com/

The downside with his emulator is that you will have to find your own ROMs for it as none are provided (obviously for legal reasons) and disk images.

I copied the ROMs from my real Model 1/4/4P to use in the emulator. He can help you with that if you have a real computer to use.

For a Model III you can use either a real Model III ROM or the ROM from a Model 4.

The support Matthew provides for his tools and emulator is top notch! The TRSTool for Windows lets you view a disassembled (Z80 assembly output) CMD file from a disk image just by clicking on it. Also, it will automatically update a disk image for Y2K+ dates if it encounters a disk image that hasn't been updated for that.

• Like 1

I use and can recommend Matthew Reed's Model 1/III/4 emulator for Windows: http://www.trs-80emulators.com/

The downside with his emulator is that you will have to find your own ROMs for it as none are provided (obviously for legal reasons) and disk images.

Thanks but, that'll probably keep me from getting it. I really don't want to search everything out for multiple reasons, one of which is time. I guess that's what I liked so much about Classic99 (TI-99/4A Emulator). It came pre-packaged with the ROMS and enough software to get one going. It was essentially unpack & play.

Well, there is another option to get you started. Matthew Reed's emulator (1/III/4) for Windows but then download this emulator: Model III emulator by Matt Hamilton.

You can download it via Ira Goldkang's webiste: http://www.trs-80.com/wordpress/emulators/

This Model III emulator contains a valid model3.rom that works on Matthew Reeds's emulator, along with a TRSDOS 1.3 disk. This should get you started.

I can't really recommend the Matt Hamilton emulator, I've had limited success using it.

I'm afraid you'll have to find an archive of other disk images to use though besides DOS because I'm not aware of *any* TRS-80 emulator that comes with something beyond maybe a DOS disk.

NOTE:

I should add, if you do a search in Google you'll find a suitable Model 1 ROM to use (an older version) with Matthew Reed's emulator. If I'm not mistaken, it was on a site dedicated to the "System 80".

I have not found a downloadble Model 4/4P ROM though. I was able to download the ROMs from my real Model 4 and 4P and transfer them to my PC using the FreHD hard disk emulator.

• Like 1

Thanks but, that'll probably keep me from getting it. I really don't want to search everything out for multiple reasons, one of which is time. I guess that's what I liked so much about Classic99 (TI-99/4A Emulator). It came pre-packaged with the ROMS and enough software to get one going. It was essentially unpack & play.

And here is where you can download the Model 1 ROM: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/system-80/s80-roms.zip

See post #4 for further details.

You'll want to rename trs80model1.rom to model1.rom for use in Matthew Reed's emulator. Also in that zip file is esf.rom which can be used to emulate the Exatron Stringy Floppy.

• Like 1

I've started using M.E.S.S. again to emulate most systems and I use MESSui to launch it.
It seems to work ok for TRS-80 emulation but a few of the systems it emulates seem rather buggy.
I had to download a torrent with all the ROMs though and it's awkward to run without the GUI.

If you only emulate one or two systems, system specific emulators are usually better and support more features.
If you emulate a lot of systems M.E.S.S. is worth looking into.

sm3,

Thank you for posting the links/download to the emulator and ROMS. I have a couple of days off next week and plan to open it up and see what's what. Hopefully I'll be able to locate some compatible disk images.

Some on my favorite games from the past were ones like ROBOT ATTACK, I cannot believe I've forgotten the names of most of the games. There was also another one I really loved, you came down from a space ship, landed, picked up an astronaut and re-docked with the ship while avoiding asteroids. After all these years I've forgotten so much, it'll be fun to re-connect some of those old brain cells together.

• 2 weeks later...

There was also another one I really loved, you came down from a space ship, landed, picked up an astronaut and re-docked with the ship while avoiding asteroids. After all these years I've forgotten so much, it'll be fun to re-connect some of those old brain cells together.

I believe that game was "Meteor Mission II". I added it to the trsdos1.3 disk image for you. There is a note that came with it stating the high score doesn't work, but at least you can play it.

trsdos13.dsk

• Like 1

Okay, I finally found some time to devote to the install, but I cannot seem to get the path to the ROM's to install. What you see below is as far as I can go. I cannot get into the folder to select an individual ROM file. Am I overlooking something obvious here? I've run it as administrator as well nothing seems to work. My operating system is Windows 7 64 bit, but I doubt that should as the program wants to run.

Thanks!

post-35324-0-00667300-1428854246_thumb.jpg

Okay, I finally found some time to devote to the install, but I cannot seem to get the path to the ROM's to install. What you see below is as far as I can go. I cannot get into the folder to select an individual ROM file. Am I overlooking something obvious here? I've run it as administrator as well nothing seems to work. My operating system is Windows 7 64 bit, but I doubt that should as the program wants to run.

Thanks!

You get it work? See my post above this one if not.

No, and it should work. I renamed the file, but it still will not let me access the directory. :_(

Hmm, and you have the correct ROM in the directory for the model you have selected in the "Configuration..." menu correct? I mean, you have a model3.rom in there and selected and chose "Model III, Level II" in the "Computer:" section of the "Configuration" menu?

For mine, I made a directory called ROMS under my TRS32 directory (under MyDocuments) and that is what I click on with the "ROM image path" selection under the Options menu.

No, and it should work. I renamed the file, but it still will not let me access the directory. :_(

Looking at your screen shot again, I see you have selected a Model 1, Level 1. I'm not sure that ROM is for Level 1 BASIC. Try changing the system to a Model 1, Level II. And same if you are using the Model 3. Model III, Level II.

And make sure the ROM is named model1.rom and not trs80model1.rom

As you can see, still a NO GO.

Do you think it's having issues with my 64 bit version of Windows?

No, I use Windows 7 64-bit myself.

I see you still have Model 1, Level 1 selected (see lower left corner of TRS32 window). Choose Model I, Level II, under Options > Configuration > Computer:

Hey, thanks.... I'm HALF-WAY-THERE now! :)

The emulator loads, and it TRIES to load the disk images, the one on the screen fouls up, the other one simply has a blank screen and does nothing.

Cool, OK. I believe your problem now is that those disks are for a Model III. You had mentioned a Model III initially, so that is what I provided for you.

Put your model3.rom in the directory, change the "Computer:" to Model III, Level II and then try those disk images again.

TRS-DOS 1.3 is Model III only. Model III can read Model I disks, but not the opposite.

• Like 1