IGNORED

Lynx on the "large screen"

karri

Perfect!

We need a groufie with you guys and RJ please.

Yes, there is a groufie with Karri, LX.NET, Lamer Deluxe tm (also an atariage member), me, and RJ Mical. How cool is that!

Karri has it on his camera. I hope he is able to post them soon (he's now partying on a boat with the VIPs).

Edited by roland p
  • Like 1

Here are some more impressions of the event, biased towards the RJ Mical meeting(s) with AtariAge Lynx members.

post-27403-0-75927700-1435440972_thumb.jpg

RJ showing his Lynx love

post-27403-0-17123000-1435441094_thumb.jpg

RJ signing that brand new unused mint Atari Lynx 1 leaving some space for Dave Needle

post-27403-0-80795200-1435441130_thumb.jpg

Roland having his Lynx 2 back plate signed

post-27403-0-77774800-1435441193_thumb.jpg

Karri and myself

post-27403-0-94579200-1435441245_thumb.jpg

RJ and me. He is almost as tall as I am (6 foot 6).

post-27403-0-65847500-1435441637_thumb.jpg

Lamer Deluxe's Lynx being shown. RJ was struck by the (Amiga) bouncing ball demo that Milan wrote for the Lynx

It was great fun meeting RJ. I had never met him before, but he is a very, very kind man and was amazed and humbled by the number of people showing up for him. He looked at all the things that were brought (Amiga and Lynx covers, t-shirts, books, mousepads), showed genuine interest and took all the time to talk to you and have everything signed. There was a huge queue for him and I guess that some people waited for almost an hour. I guess he was there for several hours doing the talks and signing.

Thanks, RJ, in case you are reading this. Thanks from all of us!

• Like 7

Truly amazing. Great to see you guys meet him, and great seeing the man showing so much interest in the people who appreciate his old work.

And a very special thanks to my friend LX.NET who made me the best present ever!

post-21561-0-88138400-1435493209_thumb.jpg

This is beyond cool and will be my greatest Lynx treasure. :)

• Like 3

Karri showed him his white lynx with the new LCD in it. He was astounded by it. The way he reacted when he held the Lynx 1 was like it had been a really long time since the last time he had on in his hands. I have a short video of a later reaction that I will upload to Youtube. It was way too crowded and too many people waiting to have a normal talk with him. Maybe Karri had a chance during dinner?

Edited by LX.NET
  • Like 4

He was laughing. "Is this connector a VGA? How did you make it?". I also showed him some recent entries like Zaku, Alpine Games, EOTB and told a little about our community. He did not know that the encryption had been cracked a few years ago so we had a small chat around that as well.

I also learned all kind of small bits about R.J. That abbreviation stuck when they had several Bobs on a company and although he switched jobs he never got away from being called R.J. I was also truly surprised that he still remembered me and even my topics around 15-20 years ago although we only sat down for one evening in Finland.

But the best thing was meeting the people from AtariAge and just sit in the sun talking about dreams, life, universe and everything. Thanks guys. Hope to meet you again some time. I try to put up my pictures in high quality somewhere tonight.

• Like 8

Ah, so here is where all the Amiga30 talk is, I totally overlooked it yesterday.

The Amiga30 event was really awesome. Too bad I couldn't make it earlier, so I missed most of the talks. But I did get my Amiga 500 cover signed by RJ, Dave and Carl and my Lynx signed by RJ as well.

I was surprised by RJ's enthousiastic response to my Boing Ball demos. One is a replica of his Amiga version and one is a version update for the capabilities of the Lynx, with '3D' scaling and a flicker effect alternating an image of just the colors and just the brightness of the scene, to create a shading effect.

I've sent RJ both my demos, but both use the flicker trick, so they work best on the real hardware. He might be interested in Lynxman's flash cartridge :)

Then all of a sudden there was a cow Lynx (Karri), one person asking me how I did the boing demo (LX.NET) and after some confusion it turned out I was surrounded by Atari Age Lynx forum members :grin:

It was great to meet Karri, LX.NET and Roland in real life. I was really fun talking to you guys and thanks for the photos! The whole atmosphere there was great.

I made the demos in 2002 for a Lynx multi cartridge called Über ROM, developed by Ray Ryland, which unfortunately never saw the light of day. They were to be used for empty slots on the cartridge, instead of a boring message. There's a third demo as well with a 'no game' message that uses some transparency tricks and is partly inspired by QiX. Ray kindly put the demos on cartridges for me.

• Like 2

Then all of a sudden there was a cow Lynx (Karri), one person asking me how I did the boing demo (LX.NET)

Holy cow! It was supposed to be a Startrooper Lynx inspired by Star Wars. The early episodes. Not episode 1. That is lousy with only one scene when an actor actually says something. I think it was when Anakin took farewell of his mother.

PS. later I found out that we were also surrounded by other AtariAge guys in disguise. Obviously too scared to show anything Atari related on an Amiga event. You know how it was in the old flame war times. You would get trolled for less...

Edited by karri
  • Like 1

Well, RJ said it was a cow Lynx, so who should I believe... :grin:

I was walking around with a ZX Spectrum bag and I survived :^p

I haven't released my demos yet (I was still waiting if the Über ROM cartridge was ever going to happen) and I wonder what would be the best way. They don't work properly on emulators, but correctly on the actual hardware (using Bastian42's cable or a flash/multi cart). Releasing them on Karri's upcoming cartridges would also be cool, maybe all three on one cartridge and for a minimal price (but then there would be postage as well).

Does Atari Age host files? I think my provider gave me some webspace, I have never used it, would have to look into that.

I should be able to convert the original Boing demo to something that would look correctly on emulators as well.

• Like 1

You could just attach the ROMs in one of your Posts. Maybe start a thread for them to be found easily. Lots of homebrewers simply attach ROMs here on AA. :)

I'd definitely try it on Lynxman's flashcard myself. :)

BTW, love the "cow Lynx" much more than it being a stormtrooper. :D

Edited by 108 Stars

BTW, love the "cow Lynx" much more than it being a stormtrooper. :D

Ok, After all, who am I to argue. If RJ think it is a cow - a cow it shall be.

Hmm. Stardreamer just got scrapped in favour of "Moo, moo"

• Like 1