IGNORED

The Atari interview discussion thread

Savetz

Wes Newell, Newell Industries

Wes Newell was founder of Newell Industries, a company that produced a number of popular hardware upgrades for the Atari 8-bit computers. Products included Fastchip, which sped up floating point routines by 300%; Omniview, which provided 80-column text output; and RAMrod, which provided memory upgrades and enhanced ROMs; and Omnimon, a hardware monitor. Wes was also author of Pro Bowling, which was published by Atari Program Exchange.
This interview took place on June 9, 2016.
After our interview, Wes sent me his collection of Newell Industries paper: documentation for every product that they released, and a large collection of printed source code for Atari 8-bit and ST products. He generously placed all of the Newell Industries material in the public domain. I've digitized all of it: you can now find it at the Internet Archive (see the links in the show notes.)
Teaser quote:
"Well I sold 'em pretty cheap... that's probably why I went out of business... it was more or less just a hobby for me. I wasn't out to get rich."
  • Like 5

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-216-david-troy-toad-computers-atari-dealer

David Troy, Toad Computers

In this episode, I sit down with a long-time Atari dealer back in the 80’s and 90’s, Mr. David Troy.

David ran the Toad BBS from 1984-1988 starting at the age of 12 and then in 1986 as a sophomore in high school, he and partner Ray Mitchell founded a small computer mail order firm specializing in the Atari line of computers. They shortly moved into a storefront in Severna Park, Maryland and the company grew into a million dollar plus business until they closed shop in 1997.

This interview took place February 27, 2016.

Teaser Quotes

• “Commodore 1702 color monitors, that we sold to a company in Baltimore, that we later figured out was using them to install the monitors inside of peep show booths”
  • “I remember one time we got some kind of a call from Minnesota where they needed, I think it was a battery pack for a Stacy portable, and they needed it like pronto because Prince was going to be pissed”
  • “Jack Tramiel’s son just called me up and blasted me out, you know this is the guy who designed the Commodore 64; he thought it was worth his time to call me up and bother me about this”
  • Like 4

Bill Lapham, Atari Continuation Engineering

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-215-bill-lapham-atari-continuation-engineering

Bill Lapham was Manager of Continuation Engineering in Atari's consumer division. He worked at Atari from 1980 through 1984.
This interview took place on April 25, 2016.
"They had an entire booth set up for us. Nobody had ever seen this device. But Atari just went ahead and said, 'OK, we're going to do this.'"
"Look, these people are going to die from that! You need to change your ways."
Ron Hartman, K-Byte Software
Ron Hartman was systems coordinator at K-Byte Software, a company that produced four games for the Atari 8-bit computers: Krazy Shootout, Krazy Kriters, Krazy Antics, and K-Star Patrol, as well as K-DOS, an alternative disk operating system. The company also programmed games for CBS Software.
K-Byte Software was a division of Koltanbar Engineering, an engineering company that did CAD/CAM, engineering, and design work. It was founded in 1960 to supply the auto industry with electronic test equipment.
This interview took place on April 12, 2016. There's some slight glitchiness at the start of this interview, but it clears up quickly.
After the interview, Ron sent me his KDOS cartridge, which I dumped as is now available on the Internet Archive. He also send a few photos of K-Byte ephemera - check the show notes at AtariPodcast.com to see those.
"And the production of the cartridges was not one of these enormous production lines that you might see sometimes. It was three or four high school students putting parts in a cartridge."
Mitch Balsam: NY Atari Research Lab
Mitch Balsam was hired at Atari to work as a game programmer for the Atari 2600, and worked on an unreleased game called Electric Yoyo. Later, at Atari Research in New York, he worked on more unreleased products including The Graduate, an add-on computer keyboard component for the Atari 2600; and a buildable robot toy. At Scholastic, he developed educational software titles for the Apple ][ computer.
This interview took place on April 3, 2016.
Teaser quotes:
"Each game developer had a room, and the more successful ones had checks on their door, which were their royalty checks. ... So there were checks there for $200,000, $300,000."
"Yeah, it was rough. I'd still say that programming for the 2600 was probably the hardest thing I've ever done."
"We'd call California, 'Hey, are you our boss?' No. 'Are YOU our boss?' No."
  • Like 2

Just listened to the two Compute! interviews over the past day or so. I was really looking forward to the Richard Mansfield interview, but I thought it was a dud in terms of getting to know what it was like being inside Compute! magazine. Fortunately, the Tom Halfhill interview made up for it and gave the insight I was looking for. Thanks!

Is there a chance you can get Charles Brannon to do an interview?

Stacy Goff, Founder of Atari Computer Enthusiasts

Stacy Goff was founder of ACE, the Atari Computer Enthusiasts. The group was based in Eugene, Oregon, but grew to more than 50,000 members in 250 chapters in 15 countries.
This interview took place on May 6, 2016. In it, we discuss an Atari videotape about users groups, called Keeping In Touch, which is available in the link below.
Atari - Keeping In Touch video:
"My vision was constant in the early '80s: that microcomputers were the human interface because you could make the information user-friendly as opposed to a bunch of green lines on a terminal, which is the way that most people saw computers in that era."
  • Like 2

Lee Actor, Advanced Musicsystem

Lee Actor created Advanced Musicsystem, which was published by Atari Program Exchange. It first appeared in the spring 1982 APX catalog, where it won first prize in the Personal Interest and Development category. He also published Jukebox #1, which first appeared in the summer 1982 APX catalog. (There was no followup Jukebox #2.)

He was also involved with the MIDI Music System by Hybrid Arts, a product that connected the Atari 8-bit computers to MIDI instruments. He worked at Videa, where he wrote the game Lasercade for the Atari VCS; and Sente Technologies, where he created the coin-op titles Snake Pit and Hat Trick.
This interview took place on May 23, 2016. In it, we discuss Ed Rotberg, whom I previously interviewed.
  • Like 2

Kathy Forte, Atari's early applications group

Kathy Forte worked at Atari in the applications group for about a year beginning late 1979. She worked on an unreleased relational database application, and for a while spent half of her work time as Atari's puppeteer.
This interview took place on April 27, 2016.
Teaser quotes:
"And it said 'What is the Atari 800?' And I saw ... 'It's game machine! It's a personal computer! It's a salami sandwich!'"
"Kind of a sarcastic game. ... The helicopter would spray malathion and people would become deformed. It was really sick!"
  • Like 2

Scott Scheiman: SIO, 850 interface, Telelink I

Scott Scheiman worked at Atari for about seven years, where he was part of the 400/800 design team. He worked on the computers' SIO interface, the Atari 850 interface, and the Telelink I communications cartridge. He also wrote the Educational System Master Cartridge software, for use with the Talk & Teach cassette tapes.
This interview took place on July 12, 2016.
Teaser quotes:
"I think what happened was that all the parts were mounted on the top of the board in the computer but the board was mounted inside the console upside down, with all the parts facing down."
"User of the educational system was being punished for having the wrong answer as opposed to being told 'No, try again.'"
  • Like 2

Gregg Pearlman, ANTIC and STart Magazine

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-221-gregg-pearlman-antic-and-start-magazine

Gregg Pearlman was an editor at Antic Magazine and STart Magazine from 1986 through 1989.
Antic magazine was devoted primarily to 8-bit Atari computers, with some emphasis on Atari ST computers. It was published from 1982 to 1990. STart magazine was dedicated primarily to Atari ST computers, with some emphasis on Atari 8-bit computers in later issues. It was published from 1986 to 1991.
This interview took place on July 12, 2016. It in, we discuss Jim Capparell, whom I previously interviewed.
Teaser quotes:
"I said something like, 'Well, geez, I couldn't do this for less than 6 bucks an hour.' And I knew, immediately, that I had made a huge mistake."
"Not exactly threatening, but he's like, 'Why don't you just fire me again?!' You know, it was desperately embarrassing."
  • Like 1

Richard Watts, Macrotronics

Richard Watts was a programmer at Macrotronics, a company that was primarily focused on the RM-1000 radio modem, hardware that connected amateur radio receivers to personal computers. The company also created Morse Code Tutor, programmed by Richard, which was published by Atari Program Exchange and first appeared in winter 1982-1983 APX catalog. Morse Code Tutor cost $22.95 and was APX catalog number 20092. Macrotronics did contract work for APX as well, including fixes to Caverns of Mars prior to its release. The company also released a parallel print interface, which allowed a parallel printer to be connected to the Atari 400 and 800 through joystick ports 3 and 4, eliminating the need for an Atari 850 interface.
This interview took place on July 28, 2016.
"You couldn't afford any of the inefficiencies of a higher-level language. Basically what you're writing is a software UART, so that you're taking the signal, and you're detecting a dit from a dah, you're looking at the spacing of all of that and you're trying to ignore noise."
  • Like 2

Gregg Pearlman, ANTIC and STart Magazine

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-221-gregg-pearlman-antic-and-start-magazine

Gregg Pearlman was an editor at Antic Magazine and STart Magazine from 1986 through 1989.
Antic magazine was devoted primarily to 8-bit Atari computers, with some emphasis on Atari ST computers. It was published from 1982 to 1990. STart magazine was dedicated primarily to Atari ST computers, with some emphasis on Atari 8-bit computers in later issues. It was published from 1986 to 1991.
This interview took place on July 12, 2016. It in, we discuss Jim Capparell, whom I previously interviewed.
Teaser quotes:
"I said something like, 'Well, geez, I couldn't do this for less than 6 bucks an hour.' And I knew, immediately, that I had made a huge mistake."
"Not exactly threatening, but he's like, 'Why don't you just fire me again?!' You know, it was desperately embarrassing."

I was cool to hear the mention of the JACS user group since I used to be a member of that group. I also remember Bob Whipple who ran the group for part of the time I was there. It would be great if you could get an interview with him.

Gigi Bisson, Antic Magazine

Gigi Bisson was an editor at Antic Magazine, one of the two major U.S. magazines devoted to Atari 8-bit computers. She was also editor of Antic Online, the magazine's forum on the CompuServe Information Service.
This interview took place on August 4, 2016.
Teaser quotes:
"This indecipherable stuff written by these techie guys would come in and then I would have to massage the copy and make it seem like a story."
"They used to force me to play games. Again, I wasn't really a gamer; I was a writer. I remember, 'Oh, I've got to play a game. Ugh!'"
  • Like 2

The Gigi Bisson interview was so much fun to listen to :) And unlike what happens to many people as they get older, she has obviously retained every bit of her youthful and enthusiastic personality. It was quite contagious!

Love it :thumbsup:

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 1

Gigi Bisson, Antic Magazine

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-223-gigi-bisson-antic-magazine

Gigi Bisson was an editor at Antic Magazine, one of the two major U.S. magazines devoted to Atari 8-bit computers. She was also editor of Antic Online, the magazine's forum on the CompuServe Information Service.

Although they might not have any stories about the Atari 8-bit, it sounds like you have an in with John C Dvorak and Dan Kottke. Would love to hear their thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bard Ermentrout, RAMbrandt

Video of this interview at YouTube:
Bard Ermentrout was the creator of the popular Atari graphics program RAMbrandt. Subtitled "The Atari Design Studio," RAMbrandt was released in 1985 by Antic software. Written in ValForth, it supported joystick, keyboard, Koala Pad, and Atari Touch Tablet for input. He also created an add-on Solid Object Module which allowed users to combine mode 9 geometric primitives to make what appeared to be 3D-shaded objects. The predecessor to RAMbrandt was a drawing program called "Paint 10" which was unreleased.
This interview took place on July 25, 2016.
After the interview, Bard sent me a box of floppy disks — which appears to contain the source code for RAMbrandt, some picture disks, and the object module — but so far I have not been able to read any of the disks. It doesn't look good, but I haven't given up hope yet.
If you would like to see this interview as well as hear it, a video from this Skype conversation is available on YouTube and Internet Archive.
"I had some crazy ideas with the Atari 800 to get more colors, one of them which worked but gave you a really bad headache."
  • Like 1

Bard Ermentrout, RAMbrandt

Bard Ermentrout was the creator of the popular Atari graphics program RAMbrandt. Subtitled "The Atari Design Studio," RAMbrandt was released in 1985 by Antic software. Written in ValForth, it supported joystick, keyboard, Koala Pad, and Atari Touch Tablet for input. He also created an add-on Solid Object Module which allowed users to combine mode 9 geometric primitives to make what appeared to be 3D-shaded objects. The predecessor to RAMbrandt was a drawing program called "Paint 10" which was unreleased.
This interview took place on July 25, 2016.
After the interview, Bard sent me a box of floppy disks — which appears to contain the source code for RAMbrandt, some picture disks, and the object module — but so far I have not been able to read any of the disks. It doesn't look good, but I haven't given up hope yet.
If you would like to see this interview as well as hear it, a video from this Skype conversation is available on YouTube and Internet Archive.
"I had some crazy ideas with the Atari 800 to get more colors, one of them which worked but gave you a really bad headache."

Fascinating interview - this is by far my favourite.

Hey Kevin, there's been chat about Ultimon (a machine code monitor) OS chip and its creator John Lawson, he's been on here with these details:

http://atariage.com/forums/user/35042-johnlawson/

And as he's been developing a new updated version he seems to be an ideal person for you for both old and new stuff...

Best of luck, Paul...

• Like 1

This multimedia interview includes a video and a poem!

Brian Johnston: Manager, Atari Home Computer System Software Group

Brian Johnston was Manager of Atari's Home Computer System Software Group, where he worked on projects including DOS 3. He worked at Atari from 1978 through 1982, then moved to Fox Video Games where he programmed Atari 2600 games.
This interview took place on August 4, 2016.
Teaser quote:
"But Atari was poisoned by money,
And in death throes was free-falling up,
Lining pockets of sycophant beggars
Whose main talent, the art of the cup!"
Poem by Brian Johnston: Remembering Atari: Part 1
Video version of this interview:
  • Like 2

Bob Frankston, co-developer of Visicalc

Bob Frankston was co-developer of Visicalc, with Dan Bricklin, and co-founder of Software Arts, the company that first published Visicalc. Bob was also involved with the Atari 800 port of the program.
If you're like to see our talking heads, a video version of this interview is available at YouTube, at the link below.
This interview took place on August 22, 2016.
"So we were really lucky there. But the important thing is to appreciate the luck factor ... A lot of people, especially in the .com boom days and everything, thought they were geniuses because the first thing they did worked. Well, no. They were lucky."
  • Like 2

I was cool to hear the mention of the JACS user group since I used to be a member of that group. I also remember Bob Whipple who ran the group for part of the time I was there. It would be great if you could get an interview with him.

Hey Dan, it's great to hear from a former JACS member! It's been a long time since I've seen you - you might remember me ;)

I haven't see Bob Whipple in a long time. It's funny mentioning Bob's Beatles collection - I remember Bob showing me part of his collection once.

PM if you want to discuss further. I still stay in touch with Mike Hopkins - you might remember him from JACS.

Forrest