IGNORED

The Official Turbografx 16 Thread!

28 minutes ago, NE146 said:

Where are people getting their Turbografx Minis? When I look on Amazon it says it's coming out in friggin December?

Amazon Japan. It's the only place that I know of that has them in stock.

Disregard! Sold out! Third-party sellers (scalpers) on Amazon Japan have it, but PC Engine mini and CoreGrafx mini are still available from Amazon Japan. I'm guessing that everyone who wanted the TurboGrafx probably decided to get it from Amazon Japan instead of waiting for their local Amazon to get it.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

I got my coreggrfx mini in from Amazon japan this week, took 5 days to Canada. There is a markup but it's a price I was willing to pay ($175 CAN funds) I think including import taxes and delivery). I preferred the coregrfx mini to the TG16 mini because of the size of the console while still keeping the turbo buttons on the controller.

I got my coreggrfx mini in from Amazon japan this week, took 5 days to Canada. There is a markup but it's a price I was willing to pay ($175 CAN funds) I think including import taxes and delivery). I preferred the coregrfx mini to the TG16 mini because of the size of the console while still keeping the turbo buttons on the controller.

...all while I was ordering a peculiar CoreGrafx from Canada:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/193222598313
42ce90cf38f9aca614b7f94c4c76106f.jpg
e150908462be948c33da574b2b18298e.jpg

Yes, that's an RF modulator inside a CoreGrafx (normally AV output only). It's apparently PAL-converted, which also means it's going to run at 50hz. Haven't found any documentation of this mod for reversing that. I'm told that this is not a Sodipeng conversion. These with the RF mod were converted for Hong Kong, Germany, UK, etc. Heck, even Joel Hopkins (LastGamer) said a business partner of his was gearing up to PAL-modify a bunch of units for an Australian release, though the one they gave him appears to be NTSC. Not sure if they would've been doing CoreGrafx or not since his was a white PCE.

I thought Amazon Japan was only selling the Japanese, white model of the system. If you're telling me they're also selling models meant for Europe, that's totally unfair. I pre-ordered back in July. [emoji53] 

They were selling all three but they finally sold out of TurboGrafx-16 Mini yesterday. "Unfair" isn't how I would describe it since they didn't really have a choice in the matter. It was all because of Amazon's response to the virus outbreak:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/amazon-stops-receiving-nonessential-products-from-sellers/ar-BB11jnzz

10 minutes ago, CZroe said:

They were selling all three but they finally sold out of TurboGrafx-16 Mini yesterday. "Unfair" isn't how I would describe it since they didn't really have a choice in the matter. It was all because of Amazon's response to the virus outbreak:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/amazon-stops-receiving-nonessential-products-from-sellers/ar-BB11jnzz

They also could have kept the stock of systems until they are allowed to ship them, but whatever... ?

They also could have kept the stock of systems until they are allowed to ship them, but whatever... [emoji58]

I don't think Amazon US ever had stock to keep. US Amazon stopped accepting shipments of stuff like that before the release date forcing Konami to sell them out of JP Amazon. At least this way no one was sitting on them and refusing to sell. It would be even worse if they existed but people couldn't get one no matter what.

2 hours ago, Loafer said:

CoreGrafx mini is probably the best one overall. I just got an email saying that the turbo controller will arrive on the 30th, though, so that's good.

31 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

I thought Amazon Japan was only selling the Japanese, white model of the system. If you're telling me they're also selling models meant for Europe, that's totally unfair. I pre-ordered back in July. ? 

They had all of them. TG-16 mini is sold out now, but the other 2 are still there.

29 minutes ago, CZroe said:

...all while I was ordering a peculiar CoreGrafx from Canada:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/193222598313
42ce90cf38f9aca614b7f94c4c76106f.jpg
e150908462be948c33da574b2b18298e.jpg

Yes, that's an RF modulator inside a CoreGrafx (normally AV output only). It's apparently PAL-converted, which also means it's going to run at 50hz. Haven't found any documentation of this mod for reversing that. I'm told that this is not a Sodipeng conversion. These with the RF mod were converted for Hong Kong, Germany, UK, etc. Heck, even Joel Hopkins (LastGamer) said a business partner of his was gearing up to PAL-modify a bunch of units for an Australian release, though the one they gave him appears to be NTSC. Not sure if they would've been doing CoreGrafx or not since his was a white PCE.

I'm very curious to see what the story with this one is! You're the type of guy to open it up and take a look, so I'm very interested in seeing what's up with it!

4 minutes ago, CZroe said:

I don't think Amazon US ever had stock to keep. US Amazon stopped accepting shipments of stuff like that before the release date forcing Konami to sell them out of JP Amazon. At least this way no one was sitting on them and refusing to sell. It would be even worse if they existed but people couldn't get one no matter what.

Correct. This whole thing is really weird that they would stock the TG-16 mini at Amazon Japan. I kind of wanted one, but I might try the CoreGrafx mini to go with my real CoreGrafx instead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roots.genoa said:

I meant Amazon Japan could have kept the stock meant for Amazon US and the European subsidiaries.

I'm starting to think that this might have been what happened, as it would explain the lack of minis in other regions. How are you guys over in Europe doing for release dates? I'm hearing now that the US release date is now December/January time, unfortunately. Almost a full year of delay.

I'm starting to think that this might have been what happened, as it would explain the lack of minis in other regions. How are you guys over in Europe doing for release dates? I'm hearing now that the US release date is now December/January time, unfortunately. Almost a full year of delay.

I think the December date is just Amazon's placeholder date. Preorders first changed to "Not Available" and when it was clear the launch wasn't going to happen on-time they reopened pre-orders. Of course, they didn't have a new date, so they just put in the very last day of the year (December 31) until they hear/know otherwise.

Impossible for them to guess at the time since we were still in the early stages of the outbreak.

Just now, CZroe said:

I think the December date is just Amazon's placeholder date. Preorders first changed to "Not Available" and when it was clear the launch wasn't going to happen on-time they reopened pre-orders. Of course, they didn't have a new date, so they just put in the very last day of the year (December 31) until they hear/know otherwise.

Impossible for them to guess at the time since we were still in the early stages of the outbreak.

Yeah, I know about the December 31 placeholder being typical for Amazon, but I can't say what these emails say myself since I got my PC Engine mini from Amazon Japan.

5 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

How are you guys over in Europe doing for release dates? I'm hearing now that the US release date is now December/January time, unfortunately. Almost a full year of delay.

No news. I'm supposed to get an email when they'll know when it will ship. Someone (in the US I think) got an email and it says he will get his next year.

4 minutes ago, CZroe said:

You mean they should have sold the stock intended for the US out of Amazon Japan? I think that's exactly what they did.

Yes, but apparently they didn't sell them to people who actually pre-ordered it (from Amazon US). Maybe it's a lack of communication between all subsidiaries of Amazon, but it's messed up.

Edited by roots.genoa

1 minute ago, roots.genoa said:

No news. I'm supposed to get an email when they'll know when it will ship. Someone (in the US I think) got an email and it says it will get his next year.

Yep. Sadness.

Just now, CZroe said:

Yeah, definitely going to peek inside that system. Maybe figure out how to reverse the 50hz mod or make it toggle-able. :)

Pictures/video please! I'm really quite interested in unusual hardware like this!

• Like 1

https://www.amazon.co.jp/PCエンジン-コアグラフィックス-mini-輸入版-欧州/dp/B07QD9GMLM/ref=dp_ob_title_vg?th=1

Here is CoreGrafx mini for those of you who might want it. I think that maybe international shipping MIGHT be suspended. Japan Post I think no longer does it, but maybe Amazon Japan still does. Amazon USA does not ship here right now, though.

• Like 1

Yes, but apparently they didn't sell them to people who actually pre-ordered it (from Amazon US). Maybe it's a lack of communication between all subsidiaries of Amazon, but it's messed up.

Then they'd have to stop accepting new preorders in the USA and commit to free international shipping for most on a product that was priced without that consideration. Who knows... maybe there were a large enough quantity stuck in limbo that they didn't even have enough to cover US pre-orders.

1 minute ago, CZroe said:

Then they'd have to stop accepting new preorders in the USA and commit to free international shipping for most on a product that was priced without that consideration. Who knows... maybe there were a large enough quantity stuck in limbo that they didn't even have enough to cover US pre-orders.

Yeah, this whole situation is a giant crappy mess for everyone involved, from Konami and Amazon to the people who were looking forward to this system.

• Like 2

By the way, I forgot to mention this, but I saw this the other day

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Wireless-Gamepad-CoreGrafx-TurboGrafx-16-Nintendo/dp/B0872R3ZYF/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=glhha3C-7BOFi-gk4badTg&hsa_cr_id=3968798820701&ref_=sb_s_sparkle

Still too bad there are no real options for wireless PC Engine controllers, though with 8BitDo's usually borderline unusable d-pads (sole exception: the wonderful M30 2.4g), I think I would avoid them anyway even if they did make them.

By the way, I forgot to mention this, but I saw this the other day

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-Wireless-Gamepad-CoreGrafx-TurboGrafx-16-Nintendo/dp/B0872R3ZYF/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=glhha3C-7BOFi-gk4badTg&hsa_cr_id=3968798820701&ref_=sb_s_sparkle

Still too bad there are no real options for wireless PC Engine controllers, though with 8BitDo's usually borderline unusable d-pads (sole exception: the wonderful M30 2.4g), I think I would avoid them anyway even if they did make them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153706431798

I saw this on eBay the other day and wondered if the PCE/CG/TG16 Mini consoles could recognize the USB adapter as a valid controller. I don't think any of the included games are 6-button titles but the controller is almost identical to the Fighting Commander PC for PC Engine so it would still be cool to use. :) Makes me wonder why Hori doesn't make a Wireless Fighting Commander with a new receiver for PCE/CG/TG16 Mini, since they're the ones making the official controllers and they've already done the hard part!

I have several of these Hori Wireless Fighting Commanders for SNES Classic Edition which I found on clearance a few months ago (USA version) and I'd love to use them with the PCE Mini. Similar to the Neo Geo Mini, I don't think the PCE/CG/TG16 Mini consoles support random USB controllers. Still, it would be cool if the GBros adapter worked. It does have an unadvertised USB mode:

...and 8BitDo does have a propensity for updating to support newer products.

That reminds me: the Brook Super Converter added Mega Drive Mini and PlayStation Classic support, so it's entirely possible that they will add PCE Mini support to one of their Bluetooth-to-USB or USB-to-USB adapters.

FWIW, that 8BitDo controller is essentially a reshelled 2.4Ghz N30 v2 with USB receiver. The extra button was moved to the logo area so it looks a bit stealth. :)

42 minutes ago, CZroe said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153706431798

I saw this on eBay the other day and wondered if the PCE/CG/TG16 Mini consoles could recognize the USB adapter as a valid controller. I don't think any of the included games are 6-button titles but the controller is almost identical to the Fighting Commander PC for PC Engine so it would still be cool to use. :) Makes me wonder why Hori doesn't make a Wireless Fighting Commander with a new receiver for PCE/CG/TG16 Mini, since they're the ones making the official controllers and they've already done the hard part!

I have several of these Hori Wireless Fighting Commanders for SNES Classic Edition which I found on clearance a few months ago (USA version) and I'd love to use them with the PCE Mini. Similar to the Neo Geo Mini, I don't think the PCE/CG/TG16 Mini consoles support random USB controllers. Still, it would be cool if the GBros adapter worked. It does have an unadvertised USB mode:

...and 8BitDo does have a propensity for updating to support newer products.

That reminds me: the Brook Super Converter added Mega Drive Mini and PlayStation Classic support, so it's entirely possible that they will add PCE Mini support to one of their Bluetooth-to-USB or USB-to-USB adapters.

FWIW, that 8BitDo controller is essentially a reshelled 2.4Ghz N30 v2 with USB receiver. The extra button was moved to the logo area so it looks a bit stealth. :)

Yeah, I noticed the reshell as well. You can't fool me, 8BitDo. A nice attempt, but moving a single button isn't good enough!

I've heard that the Retro-Bit 2.4GHz Saturn and Genesis controllers do actually work with the PC Engine mini, but you have to put the controller in some sort of compatibility mode or switch the d-pad to analog stick mode or something like that. I have not tried it, though. Even though I love my 2.4GHz Saturn and Genesis controllers (Saturn controller is the single best controller ever created aside from mouse + keyboard and I have never even played a Saturn!), I don't think I'd enjoy playing PC Engine games with a Saturn controller.

Still, the PC Engine mini controller's cord is actually so long that it gets in the way and is super annoying since I use the thing at my desk. I stretched it out and it will actually go through the roof while the controller is on the floor!

Okay, I tried it, and using the Saturn controller is not bad! The controller's home button works properly so you don't have to press Run + Select to open the in-game menu. It is kind of odd to play PC Engine games with a Saturn controller, but the Saturn controller is so good that after only a few minutes I didn't even notice it! The Genesis controller is probably equally enjoyable, but I have that one put away in its fancy box (which gets totally covered in fingerprints extremely easily, by the way) right now so I didn't test it. They are essentially identical, though. You can swap the mappings of the A and B buttons. Default is A = I and B = II, but this can be reversed if you want. I recommend that anyone who has either the Genesis or Saturn wireless controller should try them.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
spelling + update