IGNORED

Why I got back into collecting ColecoVision...

TPR

Unfortunately the game was left unfinished and after a while the levels go black and there's no way to advance in the game.

Ahh, damn! That's a real shame. I didn't get that far into it but what I've played is really polished and great!

• 2 weeks later...

So my latest acquisition was this strange home-brewed hacked together "ColecoVision Mini." It was located in a games shop in Arizona. All he knew about it is that it was an auction item at the Las Vegas Classic Gaming Expo about ten years ago, but the origin of it was not known beyond that. Does anyone here have any additional information about where it came from or who made it? It most certainly works! Controllers work great and so does the expansion port!

weird coleco 1.jpg

weird coleco 2.jpg

weird coleco 3.jpg

weird coleco 4.jpg

weird coleco 5.jpg

weird coleco 6.jpg

weird coleco 7.jpg

weird coleco 8.jpg

• Like 4

I've seen both of those threads, but neither of them are this specific unit. Was just wondering if anyone had any information on this one since apparently is was presented at a retro game show and figured someone might have taken notice of it at one point.

post-16925-0-11818700-1486358018.jpg

5-1/4 drive slot...?

very interesting to say the least

Do you have Adam software to try?

Wow want to hear from NIAD and others on this...

will give you a $1.00 to sell to me... :D

Jeff31

I really am not sure what you are talking about here.

Per you question... On the left side of the unit - it looks like a 5-1/4 disk drive unit - Yes? If not - what is it????

attachicon.gifpost-41816-0-34440500-1486257106_thumb.jpg

Per you question... On the left side of the unit - it looks like a 5-1/4 disk drive unit - Yes? If not - what is it????

Oh! Gotcha. Yeah, that's just a gap where the old controller bay used to be. When they cut the case and then put the two parts back together, I don't think there is a "clean" way to do it without leaving the gap there. I've seen some other hack-jobs on CV units that were done the same way.

That is unbelievably cool! It totally reminds me of when my friend sold/traded me a handheld mini TV BITD and I hooked up my Coleco to it using adapters from Radio Shack. It was like seeing the future 10 years before (I got a) GameBoy! Of course if I looked down I still saw the giant console at my feet...

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid? I noticed the guy on facebook really didn't want to talk about price (and it looked to me like dollar signs were going off in his head) and I'm not a FB guy so I'm not gonna sign up just too find out...

• 4 weeks later...

I've added some interesting new items to the collection recently...

IMG_7392.JPG

What's interesting about all of these is that they all kind of don't fall in line with my "collecting goals" but yet they were cheap enough and easy to come by that I decided to pick them up. I'm not going after a complete boxed collection, but I would be foolish to not pick up something that is normally considered "rare" and goes for hundreds of dollars if the price and opprotunity was right.

For example...

IMG_7394.JPG

That sealed copy of Up N Down I paid only $35 for. That to me was an incredible deal! Not a game I would have gone out of my way to collect, but for $35 I couldn't pass it up!

IMG_7393.JPG

These copies of Sector Alpha and Aquattack I paid less than $100 each for. In fact, there is a cart-only BIN for Sector Alpha for the same price ($78) I paid for the entire boxed version! And Aquattack, I'm pretty sure there is a version on eBay right now for $500 and a recent one sold for about $75 more than what I paid.

What's funny is that I think I'm only about ten or so games away from having a complete collection of all the original games, and I've sort of done that by accident! lol Obviously there are some games that go for crazy prices, like the double enders in a box, and while I won't be going out of the way to spend hundreds of dollars on them, if one happens to drop in my lap for a reasonable price, you're damn right I'll take it! :)

• Like 3

How in the world did you manage to find copies of the holy grails of CV for those prices?? I've been collecting for 25+ years now and have never seen prices like that on those.

Like I said, being in the right place at the right time! That Up N Down was at a BIN for $35. I just happened to log onto to eBay at the right time and I snagged it. That Sector Alpha and Aquattack was from an estate auction website operated by Hines Auctions. It was linked in the ColecoVision Lunatics Facebook group. I thought for SURE someone else would have snagged them as I only put $100 each as my top bid. I ended up, totally to my surprise, winning one of them for $78 and the other for $99. I really didn't expect to win either of them.

I also ended up winning a lot of ten boxed Sega Master System games for $32 and a boxed Mr. Do!'s Castle for $40. Neither of those things that rare, but very reasonable prices. As I said, these were things I wasn't really looking for, but stumbled upon more accidentally.

• Like 1

I just wanted to say Hi to the group. I bought a double lot of Colecovision stuff yesterday off ebay. Haven't played on a Colecovision since 1985 which was my older brothers console. The lot I got has two consoles which I'm going to keep one for myself and the other is going to be a surprise Christmas gift to my brother. Haven't even received my lot yet and have already started grabbing a game or two.

Found this place and have been part of the ColecoVision fans on Fb. Looks like I have some reading and learning to do around here. Looks like a great place. Are there any other forums that are worth going to?

I paid $260 shipped for this lot. Seemed fair maybe you guys can tell me if it was worth it. They are untested but I'm glad to see if I do have issues they can be fixed from the threads around here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-Coleco-Vision-Game-Lot-2-Consoles-W-Controllers-Wheel-19-Games-Cords-/391710199768?

I paid $260 shipped for this lot. Seemed fair maybe you guys can tell me if it was worth it. They are untested but I'm glad to see if I do have issues they can be fixed from the threads around here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-Coleco-Vision-Game-Lot-2-Consoles-W-Controllers-Wheel-19-Games-Cords-/391710199768?

To be frank, I think you overpaid, especially since the units look a bit rusty. You could have gotten one or two video modded, known-working ColecoVisions for that price, as well as possibly a flash cart. With that said, as long as you get enjoyment out of it, the cost is probably not that important.

• Like 1

To be frank, I think you overpaid, especially since the units look a bit rusty. You could have gotten one or two video modded, known-working ColecoVisions for that price, as well as possibly a flash cart. With that said, as long as you get enjoyment out of it, the cost is probably not that important.

Yea I kinda figured it might have been high but didn't think I was getting raped. Going to cost them $40-50 in shipping. I didn't know about some other options till I started looking around here and following links. I'll be cleaning them up once they arrive and going from there. My brother will be ecstatic when he receives his surprise.

$260 including shipping is not terrible. That means you paid about $100 each unit and if they actually work well after cleaning them up that is not bad at all. Especially considering that a good working Power Brick goes for about $30 each and that's a decent selection of games along with the driving controller and Super Action controllers.

I'd suggest getting some Detoxit and taking everything apart, cleaning it up, and putting it all back together.

You should also look into getting an AtariMax SD cart and maybe eventually getting the systems modded.

Take a look at my "ColecoVision Fan" Facebook page as well as the "ColecoVision Lunatics" Facebook group.

Enjoy the system!