IGNORED

Better Donkey Kong?

cbmeeks

There is the Coleco prototype version that includes the Pie Factory (4th screen), but there is no sprite collision detection. There are also some additional elements added to this prototype like some of the intermission scenes as well as the ability to skip levels by pressing ZERO on the controller keypad. The rom image is widely available to download.

The ADAM Computer Super Game version that was available on Data Pack includes everything from the arcade version (four screens, intermission, Hall of Fame, etc.) and is a huge improvement over the ColecoVision cartridge based versions. Originally it was planned to have an addition fifth screen, but Nintendo squashed this as they did not want any liberties taken with their game. A Coleco programmer/artist's mock-up drawing of this level exists in someone's personal collection, but it has never been shared for all to enjoy.

Checkout Joe. B's website (linked in my SIG) for screenshots and downloads!!!

I can't be the only one who thinks that, while I'd love to have the Pie Factory level to have a "complete" game, it is by far my least favorite of all the levels in the original Donkey Kong game. There is something about that level, even in the original game that feels "unfinished." You can complete the level in like 15 seconds as there really isn't much challenge to it. I can sort of see why it was dropped from so many versions of the game.

Would the SGM have to be there to get a better version? Could a 32k rom handle this or is the extra RAM a must?

The version you see in the video is the result of the actual arcade game ROM ported to ColecoVision, with all graphic output reconfigured for TV resolution, just like it was done for Pac-Man Collection. This ensures that the CV port behaves just like the arcade version, but the original arcade ROMs required 4K of RAM, so that's why the SGM is required.

• Like 1

The version you see in the video is the result of the actual arcade game ROM ported to ColecoVision, with all graphic output reconfigured for TV resolution, just like it was done for Pac-Man Collection. This ensures that the CV port behaves just like the arcade version, but the original arcade ROMs required 4K of RAM, so that's why the SGM is required.

Now if only Ed would release the damn thing :mad:

I can't be the only one who thinks that, while I'd love to have the Pie Factory level to have a "complete" game, it is by far my least favorite of all the levels in the original Donkey Kong game. There is something about that level, even in the original game that feels "unfinished." You can complete the level in like 15 seconds as there really isn't much challenge to it. I can sort of see why it was dropped from so many versions of the game.

Ditto on that...

Could Ed be persuaded to release what he's got to the open source community? Let others take the reign.

I'm afraid the number of programmers able to master Z80 and Colecovision programming at the Eduardo's level are so scarce as the fingers in my hand, probably less than 8.

Besides he says it's almost finished, only some graphics missing and some sound polishing.

I'm suprised nobody ported already the MSX version to Colecovision.

It a quiet good port of Donkey kong. Msx is based on spectrum and Amstrad CPC version code done by OCEAN. (OCEAN version exists also on C64 in addition of the Atarisoft version).

It has all the level.

I'm suprised nobody ported already the MSX version to Colecovision.

I'd never seen the MSX version before... it looks pretty damn good! The jumping is a little off, and there seems to be some rather suspect collision detection, but overall it's really impressive!

I'd never seen the MSX version before... it looks pretty damn good! The jumping is a little off, and there seems to be some rather suspect collision detection, but overall it's really impressive!

I never knew about this version either, and while it does look really good, other than some of the obvious things like fireballs on the first level, pie factory, and the interstitials, I'm not sure it's better than the ColecoVision versions in terms of gameplay, look, feel, and sound. There does seem to be something a little "off" about it.

IMHO, the best version of Donkey Kong is the Atari 7800 version which is a homebrew/hack by Tep392. It has both the Japanese version and the US version in it. They claim that it is arcade perfect and after playing it, it's hard to disagree with them. There is a final demo rom in which you can play through all the levels and difficulties once. Check in the AtariAge Atari 7800 forum. Better yet, here is a link.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/204250-donkey-kong-xm-pre-order-and-demo/?hl=%20donkey%20%20kong

chuck