IGNORED

Who owns this TI?

Omega-TI

Yes--it is a Hex-Bus case. The guy who modified it described what he did on a thread here at some point. . .I mentioned then that it was a Hex-Bus case and he was a bit surprised that I recognized it. I have one empty case here that I may try to make a mold of, but it is a bit big for my casting equipment. I'd need a larger pressure vessel for it. . .

That beautiful pic inspired me to set up a beige model after using the black/silver for the last 15+ years. The beige system is what I originally bought with my hard earned money back in the early 80's. While this is not my original system from BITD, it's nice to have such a setup recreated today. :love:

Retiring the black/silver system for now. Too bad a beige speech synthesizer was never released. Least we got a matching tape drive and cable though!

post-13896-0-24075700-1430781240_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I dunno... the Commodore monitor kind-of taints it.

Haha! Hey, the hinges on the control door *just* broke off… you're not supposed to know that's a C= monitor. :lol:

Besides, screw that non-matching 9" behemoth that TI put out. Unless I had a PEB for it to rest on. ;)

The beige joysticks show up now and again too. . .as do Hex-Bus interfaces (same size as the beige Speech Synthesizer would have been) and all of the Beige Hex-Bus peripherals. It might take a while, but you could build a helluva Beige system. I may have to pull all of my Beige bits out and build one now. . .I have the Hex-Bus stuff and the joysticks.

(somehow I am not allowed to paste pictures in this message box, I only can link to URLs? ??)

1. Currently I have 2x beige ones (1x with copper springs, 1x new one with silver springs at the I/O port = QI, Quality Improved version),

One has a blue colour indicator next to the power on/off button, the other a red colour indicator

but so far I did not find the beige QI version, running the V2.2 software.

I bought them for my kids to continue the TI story, hope these last for another 30+ years.

2. Have you seen the person (in Denmark) who completely spray-ed his silver PEB box into Beige colours, really nice job done !

Search on "beige" or "Mantadoc Mansion" at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2209774843/

3. Does someone know what the "switch is on the back" of the Hexbus device?

and how does the CF-card connect to the PCB inside the Hexbus (the other picture does not have an interface)

or is it a nano-PEB inside ?

4. Currently the way I need to protect my nanoPEB from a 3.5 year old kid is using the "Lego-Zoo-NanoPEB" protection cover:

Search on "Lego-Zoo" at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2209774843/

5. My father has these beige Commodore 64 "The Arcade" Joysticks looks nice with a beige TI-99/4A

I found a picture here: http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/foto/cip/joystick_arcade_01.jpg

I think these were only sold in The Netherlands (company called Suzo, I only have black ones,

really work good, ... sorry the one who designed the TI-99/4A joysticks were "a pain in the hand")

btw - I have never seen the TI-99/4 joysticks (http://www.ti994.com/1979/peripherals/)

Those 1979 Joysticks would leave pressure blisters in the center of your hands. . .and it wasn't easy to use them for more than 20 minutes or so without extreme pain. I have a pair of them--bought for my first machine back in early 1981 (I bought the computer in 1980 as a Christmas present to myself--the Joysticks came a little later).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

It was just an empty case for one, Fabrice. I have one that I bought at about the same time. Ernest Pergrem was selling off the accumulation of another TI user for his family and he had two empty Hex-Bus cases for sale as part of the dispersion of that hoard of interesting items. At least the case found a life to house new TI hardware--instead of going to a landfill. I will eventually try to make a set of molds using mine, so that I can make a few new cases of my own. That is a long-term idea though.

• Like 1

Yes, I know that it is only the shell, but such a shell ! A prototype one made in very few quantity, so rare. Everyone does what he wants, but my thought is that making holes and modify it is not in good taste. Sure, its end is better than the landfill...
Everyone can easily find beige plastic boxes for electronics with approximately the same size for $10 and an little hour of cutting to reproduce the inclination of this box to be in perfect extension of the Texas Instruments TI-99 / 4A. I find it more respectful than tinkering TI rare items.

I hope one day to be able to own this shield, which is a piece of TI history. All my TI prototype pieces that I own are respected, well maintained as originally, they have not been hacked, drilled, or what else.

Edited by fabrice montupet
  • Like 2

I understand that as well, Fabrice--my prototypes are also well-cared for. I would not do anything to damage the shell I do have--but I will eventually try to reproduce it. :)

Also, it is a bit of a mutant shell as well--one half came from a speech synthesizer case and the other is from a Hex-Bus Interface. They fit very well together as they are minor variations of the same mold.

• Like 2

Those are all nice systems!

I have a couple of black & silver consoles that look like they've been rolled down a hill and hit by a truck, but they still work (my son ran off with my only decent-looking one)!

I also have a Panasonic microcassette recorder and a 32" Trinitron that pair up to them nicely... :)