IGNORED

Testing the waters of the Odyssey 2 and highly interested in purchasing one

Hey there!! A few days ago I made a post in regards for a new 2nd gen system to add to my game room. It was between the Channel F, Astrocade, Vectrex, and Odyssey 2 as those are the ones that I don't own from that particular era. I respect the Channel F and it's pioneering in video game history. They are hard to find, expensive, reliability problems, and the games are tough to find and can be pricy. Astrocade. Same thing. Expensive and have overheating and reliability issues. So I leaned between the Vectrex and Odyssey 2. The Vectrex is an awesome system but are very pricy. So I decide to possibly invest in an Odyssey 2. The prices on ebay are fair, the systems I heard are very durable and hardly have issues, and a small but decent library which is roughly about 50 games. The graphics are not as good as the 2600, but the animation runs very smooth and doesn't flicker. And a good amount of the games look very fun. I am not very familiar with the system and I know It's production was from 1978-1983. And have a great homebrew market today. I am not ready to pull the trigger just yet. And thought this is the perfect place to ask and get opinions from. I heard the action button on the joystick presses onto the circuit board and causes wear and tear on it and fails to work especially most of the systems have hardwired joysticks as there are very few during the later run that are detachable. Anyways, I am testing the waters and hope to make a splash on this system. Any advice and info would be much appreciated. Thanks!! :-)

Edited by Retrogamer81081
  • Like 1

The earliest O2 models had detachable joysticks. You can spot an early model by its silver joysticks.

I like the O2 for its place in history, but I have to admit that it is not that much fun to play. But there are lots of pros:

* If you want to collect US releases only, you can complete a full set relatively inexpensively. The rarest game is about $150 CIB. But European and Brazilian releases add a lot of complexity.

* Cheap multicart. I think I paid about $40 for mine.

* Rock-solid RF. Looks like composite to me. Best RF of all the early platforms.

• Like 3

I like the Odyssey 2, and unlike a lot of other retro systems, it's still very affordable. You can find a complete working system on eBay with a few common carts for maybe $35 plus shipping. Some games, especailly the sports or 'educational' titles are very dated, but other games such as KC Munchkin, UFO, Turtles, Attack of the Time Lord, Killer Bees, etc. have held up well over time.

• Like 2

I like the Odyssey 2, and unlike a lot of other retro systems, it's still very affordable. You can find a complete working system on eBay with a few common carts for maybe $35 plus shipping. Some games, especailly the sports or 'educational' titles are very dated, but other games such as KC Munchkin, UFO, Turtles, Attack of the Time Lord, Killer Bees, etc. have held up well over time.

A couple of months ago I bought K.C. Munchkin for the 7800 and enjoyed it so much and like that they have the Easter Egg to play the original Odyssey 2 version. K.C.'s Krazy Chase looks like a very fun game, Pick Axe Pete which reminds me of a half Donkey Kong and half Miner 2049er, Alien Invaders-Plus looks catchy and unique from Space Invaders, I heard Turtles was outstanding, and UFO is Identical to Robotron 2084. Quite a few great games. I browsed on ebay and did see some great prices. And will search around. Thanks so much for the help and insight. :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The KC games are fun. Killer Bees and Turtles are excellent. Very hard to find and one of the few expensive games for the system is Atlantis. It's a good port. Same with Demon Attack.

My favorite games for the system though are Conquest of the World and Quest for the Rings. Only if you have friends to play with though. Conquest is fun if you like Risk (the boardgame). It actually takes out the chance factor of that boardgame and replaces it with skill. The one weakness is the subs are a little too powerful compared to the tanks and the jets.

I do suggest buying the multicart. It's a cheap and efficient way to get almost the entire collection of games.

Reliability wise the Odyssey 2 I have has been bulletproof. Far more reliable than even my VCS (the actual VCS has been fine, but the games are more prone to not work, and the peripherals aren't as good in my opinion). Magnavox built a tough system.

While overall I prefer the games for the Atari, the Odyssey is fun. As mentioned above though, the sports games are very dated and not very enjoyable. I wouldn't worry about buying those unless you are striving to collect the full line.

I would get the voice module if you can find one too. Games like Smithereens are hilarious with the voice.

Out of the pretty large collection of video game stuff that I once had, the only two systems I kept were the VCS and the Odyssey 2.

• Like 1

I purchased an Odyssey 2 a while back, but it gets very little use, part of that could be due to the fact that I only have three very simple games for it; UFO!, K.C. MUNCHKIN! and ALIEN INVADERS-PLUS!

The games that I do have work on a simple scoring system and only one 'life' per a game... then you start all over again. I thought I'd get more enjoyment out of it, but if all the games are like the ones I have, I'll probably never invest any more into it.

gallery_35324_1027_59369.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well I did it... Count me in the Odyssey 2 club or brotherhood :lol: Picked up this lot for $40. The console works awesome! Got a bunch of games. K.C. Munchkin, K.C.'s Krazy Chase, UFO, Alien Invaders Plus, Baseball, Attack of the Timelord, Bowling/Basketball, Computer Golf, Football, Showdown in 2100 A.D., Thunderball, and Speedway/Spin-Out/Crypto-Logic. The controllers were wonky but getting a couple hard wired ones sent to me. :)

post-32978-0-65562700-1442404221_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Any other requirement? Play and enjoy ! ;)

:D It's a matter of taste. And Munchkin doesn't look that different in both cases.

Plus, I don't think we Europeans are so left out with the VP/O2 stuff, as there is a bit more of a foolowing in Europe than in the US. Lots of homebrew that include VP+ HI res background, etc.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

Any other requirement? Play and enjoy ! ;)

:D It's a matter of taste. And Munchkin doesn't look that different in both cases.

Plus, I don't think we Europeans are so left out with the VP/O2 stuff, as there is a bit more of a foolowing in Europe than in the US. Lots of homebrew that include VP+ HI res background, etc.

I was just talking about my awesome new tattoo! Any tramp stamp should make all feel welcomed! ;) No doubt the VP/O2 was received much better in Europe.

The "any other requirements" was in reference to us starting a VP/O2 brotherhood!

Adding "The Voice" module....

Got that as well! My mother in-law even made a dust cover to go over my 02 with voice attached to it. She used some scrap fabric from other stuff and is looking into making a leather or pleather one for me as well! The blue floral pattern is nice touch for the time being though!

• Like 2