IGNORED

ANY NEW JAGUAR DEVELOPMENT?

JagChris

Does anyone know of anything new being developed for the Jag? Is anyone developing anything? Any hints, teasers? I mean something significant, not a copy of pac-man or something. (not that that wouldn't be significant, but could be done on a super nes.)

Yup, I'm developing something.

Hints:

It will be for the Atari Jaguar :)

OK a hint: It has NOTHING to do with Battle Sphere, not even same genre BUT using a theasaurous (sp?) you could get it's name from "Battle Sphere" (but we didn't do this we just realised afterwards :) )

Does anyone know of anything new being developed for the Jag? Is anyone developing anything? Any hints, teasers? I mean something significant, not a copy of pac-man or something. (not that that wouldn't be significant, but could be done on a super nes.)

There's a lot of people claiming to be developing for the Jaguar. About 10% of them ever seem to produce anything, but since there are more than 20 people claiming to be making something, that means we should get at least 2 new Jag developments! YAY!

Ambient Distortions is current developing something for the Jaguar as well as working on rights to release "several" Jaguar titles. As you always hear, because of time constraints it's difficult for anybody to spend a whole lot of time on the Jaguar (cuz they're always on here posting!)... :)

Look for news in the near future from Clint Thompson and others....

Jason

In addition, I'm pretty sure Lars is still working on Star Alliance and I'm pretty sure Carl is expecting to release something this year (he wont' give us any hints). Lastly, T-bird is ALWAYS working on something! He'll just surprise us when we least expect it.

Jason

Yup, I'm developing something.

Hints:

It will be for the Atari Jaguar :)

OK a hint: It has NOTHING to do with Battle Sphere, not even same genre BUT using a theasaurous (sp?) you could get it's name from "Battle Sphere" (but we didn't do this we just realised afterwards :) )

Lets see here....

Fight Circle

Fighter Circle

Killer Orbit

War of the Worlds (oooh, that was a good one).....

Battle Earth

Am I warm?

Also, Linkovitch, how long before you'll have some screenshots or something for us to check out? Would love to see what you're working on....

Jason

Lets see here....

Fight Circle

Fighter Circle

Killer Orbit

War of the Worlds (oooh, that was a good one).....

Battle Earth

Am I warm?

Your thinking along the right lines.. but so far no, you haven't got it :)

Also, Linkovitch, how long before you'll have some screenshots or something for us to check out?  Would love to see what you're working on....

Hopefully not very long.. at present it's all very early, and finding time myself, and time to kick the other guys into doing something is a bit difficult. Each day I plan to spend doing work on it, something else crops up! I even tried booking a few days off work for my birthday with intent to get some serious dev done. I made th emistake of telling the wife I had days off work.. and up sprung a list of things for me to do.. I should have just faked going to work, and hid in my computer room :)

Don't want to give anything away right now, but it should be fun :)

Hi Jason !

Hi Guys !

Yes, I'm alwaysl working on Star Alliance when I have time.

Regards, Lars.

Hey Lars,

Any idea when you might have a demo for us to test? Or are you going to release it on CD/Cart so you don't want the ROM out there?

I don't know yet if I'll do a demo release.

The game will be on CD when it is done. But it's still a long way until then.

The screenshots look great!  Can't wait to play it!

Regards, Lars.

Now i know why nobody is waiting for Jagmania ;-)

Matthias

I'm still working on disassembly of Jaguar ROM - but this is not a game development project. Unfortunately I am quite busy with other stuff including work so the project page need a lot of updates. I probably get a few days free during this month so I will update my page whit some new information and tools.

What exactly needs to be disassembled in the ROM???

This is not a new question actually. I am doing it because:

- I was interested what is inside boot ROM

- Nobody did it before - actually there is at least one person who probably did partial disassembly some time ago - or if they did there are no information on this available publicly

- I want to learn more about Jaguar

- I am interested how some registers are being setup (and the dev manual says only not to touch them)

- It's fun project and has some interesting problems to offer

Cheers,

This is not a new question actually. I am doing it because:

- I was interested what is inside boot ROM

- Nobody did it before - actually there is at least one person who probably did partial disassembly some time ago - or if they did there are no information on this available publicly

- I want to learn more about Jaguar

- I am interested how some registers are being setup (and the dev manual says only not to touch them)

- It's fun project and has some interesting problems to offer

Cheers,

I'd expect the Boot ROM to set up some of those registers and getting things in order before running the user code and why they would not want developers messing with the settings.

Just out of plain curiosity for a Jag newbie, why doesn't there seem to be as many homebrew/hacks for the Jag as there is for the 2600?

One game I enjoyed on the 2600 was Amidar (or Pepper II on the Colecovision). On the ST I enjoyed Painter by Sinistar Developments. I seem to recall reading that there is a version of Painter out for the Jag but that you have to have a modified Jag to play it. Why is this so? Can't a game like this be treated like the 2600 homebrews/hacks are and burnt onto a cart, a lable put on the cart, and sold on AA?

I'm just curious as to why there seem to be a lot of hacks/homebrews for the 2600 and 5200 yet I see nothing for the Jag unless you have a modified Jag to play them on?

Thanks in advance!

Mendon

I'm just curious as to why there seem to be a lot of hacks/homebrews for the 2600 and 5200 yet I see nothing for the Jag unless you have a modified Jag to play them on?

Thanks in advance!

I think the main reason for this is the complexity of Jaguar and it's games. I am not saying 2600 dev is easier, but the less complex hardware and more restrictive space provides new challenges but also limits what you can do.

I think if you released a 2600 straight onto the jag with no improvements people would be a tad dissapointed. Also there are more 2600's out there and they have been around a lot longer, probably having more sentimental value to a greater number of people.

You can burn games to carts just the same as a 2600, but this is more expensive due to the increased size of the eproms and their availibility, and complexity of the carts themselves. the games you see for modified jags are probably in a state the author doesn't feel warrants a cart being made of. You can most likley still play these games using Protector SE or Battle Sphere Gold to allow you to upload them to the jag.

hope that helps.

You can burn games to carts just the same as a 2600, but this is more expensive due to the increased size of the eproms and their availibility, and complexity of the carts themselves.  the games you see for modified jags are probably in a state the author doesn't feel warrants a cart being made of.  You can most likley still play these games using Protector SE or Battle Sphere Gold to allow you to upload them to the jag.

What he said, BUT the alternative to making up carts of the BJL games is to make CDs of them :) It's not too difficult, and the tools/instructions for doing so are hanging around on the net (can't remember the address, but the best site has a yellow background...not very helpful I know but you'll know it when you get there ;) ). You can burn a CD of any game that will work with BJL if you know what you're doing, and these will then play with a bypass cart of whatever kind (ProtSE/BSG/B&C/flashcart/Alpine). Great stuff :)

To answer your next question, I think the reason it's not been done with a lot of the demos is that, simply, they are demos :) If they reach 'finished' status (like JagTetris) then sure, burning a CD is a nice idea, but for games like Painter that are still in dev (last I heard, Gordon was slaving away on a new levelset to go with the updated engine I betatested) it's not worth it if a new version will be out within the year. I believe Painter will be brought out using this method. Of course, you'll need a bypass cart and a JagCD, but then these are items that any diehard should have anyway, especially with all the new stuff which will eventually be coming out for them.

Stone