IGNORED

ANY NEW JAGUAR DEVELOPMENT?

JagChris

I can see your point regarding your use of dial-up and the drawbacks of some of these fancy Web BBS message boards. I can understand your perspective.

One big drawback of the mailing list is that the format is harder to follow and threading is harder and usually there are no archives or history to consult. If there was an archive with search functions like on these Web systems, you could avoid a lot of these repeated questions from newbies, because they could read the archived messages first.

Yes, indeed, this can be a problem, but if you use a good email client, even something as mundane as Netscape Messenger, you can see a threaded view of discussions, this is widely used for UGD-JAG discussion.

The archive function can be supported by Majordomo, but is not in the case of the UGD-JAG group, but this is something a 2nd list should have.

Lastly, while I don't like Yahoo groups because they can be slow loading at times, they do have a feature I believe which does indeed send all messages to the group out as email if the user enables that option. Essentially the best of both worlds.

I absolutely agree, I never visit the Yahoo groups site normally, and receive my emails from the "Jaguar Home-brew" group by email, and I can even approve new members by email. Very nice. If you were to set-up a new group, and participate in that, I am sure that existing UGD-JAG members would be happy to participate, and as I said, natural selection in terms of how well it works, and real give and take would lead to one list becoming more popular than another. Go for it! I'll join...