IGNORED

Custom boxes

saffron1

Perfect, thank you for the pdf. Is it the same as the one in the Shaken topic here? I will compare them later.

Please could you measure the area of your cart plastic case where a label sticker could be attached and let me know the dimensions. I will adjust the cart label to match your cart.

I'll switch back to the gun picture... would you prefer a Walter PPK silhouette or is that too close to the James Bond IP?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Great. The new cart design has a bottom part and a 3D top part. In my opinion the label should be 57mm wide and 30mm high. It comes below the 3D Lynx part and it leaves 8mm below it so that it does not wear out when you push the cart into the Lynx.

post-2099-0-00066200-1437241715_thumb.png

• Like 3

Great. The new cart design has a bottom part and a 3D top part. In my opinion the label should be 57mm wide and 30mm high. It comes below the 3D Lynx part and it leaves 8mm below it so that it does not wear out when you push the cart into the Lynx.

attachicon.giflabel.png

I just realized that the label should cover the entire back-side of the PCB - not the 3D cover. So the size should be 57mm wide and 54mm high. To keep the labels consistent I would place an 8mm black band at the top of he label to cover the green PCB and keep the remaining 46 mm for the graphic design.

This reminds me... I made a few label variations for this game a while back and intended to share them, but apparently forgot. The only ones I can find at the moment are these two. I put some gray excess at the top to cover a green PCB, but it can be trimmed off. Also, it's slightly taller than a standard lynx label, sized to what I thought looked about right on a PCB when compared to standard Lynx carts.

post-9364-0-77614000-1437460247_thumb.png post-9364-0-29845600-1437460357_thumb.png

And here is a picture of some replacement labels added to my Songbird and Telegames collection. Except for Raiden, Alien, and Road Riot 4WD, the replacement labels aren't final -- I just haven't gotten around to improving the label designs yet. Also, you can see what this type of label with excess gray looks like when added to the green PCB of the Alpine Games Demo cart. The Alien and Road Riot 4WD carts are also green PCBs, but painted with a matte gray that matches the original gray.

post-9364-0-31468400-1437460850_thumb.jpg

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 5

Thank you. Both labels are perfect. I cannot make up my mind. The left one is so Agatha Christie-style. It has a nice detective flavour. The one to the right is closer to the Californian Axel Foley style tune that is playing on the background. A lot depend on the graphics. Should it be closer to old London or modern California? Opinions?

It appears that the game will be delayed a little. The extra memory and the save feature has inspired me to take the game a little further. So I plan to code in a few extras to give more atmosphere and character to the game. Right not we had only 5 named locations with special graphics. I would also like to create other special spots in the game.

A Pixie nightclub. G'day Captain, happy hour - two pixies for the price of one.

A Chinese restaurant - "I know nothing. I just make lousy food in my lousy kitchen."

and so on. The number of tasteless jokes are unlimited on a 512k cart.

Perhaps the release will be around the end of 2015.

• Like 1

OK, here is a preview of the first draft of the manual and I still need to make the front and back covers. There could still be some necessary changes if you are going to add new areas and new screen types (e.g. driving the car).

Given the change in art direction in those two new cart labels I'd need to include those new graphics in the manual and on the box cover.

@KevinMos3 do you have a box cover design in mind too?

post-42681-0-05667000-1437510645_thumb.png

post-42681-0-49686400-1437510646_thumb.png

post-42681-0-95825900-1437510647_thumb.png

post-42681-0-51805200-1437510649_thumb.png

post-42681-0-97159500-1437510650_thumb.png

post-42681-0-50891400-1437510652_thumb.png

Edited by aminor00
  • Like 2

This reminds me... I made a few label variations for this game a while back and intended to share them, but apparently forgot. The only ones I can find at the moment are these two. I put some gray excess at the top to cover a green PCB, but it can be trimmed off. Also, it's slightly taller than a standard lynx label, sized to what I thought looked about right on a PCB when compared to standard Lynx carts.

attachicon.gifShaken_600dpi.png attachicon.gifShaken_b_600dpi.png

And here is a picture of some replacement labels added to my Songbird and Telegames collection. Except for Raiden, Alien, and Road Riot 4WD, the replacement labels aren't final -- I just haven't gotten around to improving the label designs yet. Also, you can see what this type of label with excess gray looks like when added to the green PCB of the Alpine Games Demo cart. The Alien and Road Riot 4WD carts are also green PCBs, but painted with a matte gray that matches the original gray.

attachicon.gifIMAG_0008.jpg

KevinMos3, do you have box artwork in both those styles as well as the art you've done for the cartridge?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Philosophical question... how are we all feeling about printing boxes and collecting?

Half way through my collection, I decided to up the game and go for an "all boxed" set. This upped the cost of things considerably. I could just print them... but that doesn't feel right?

However (contradiction alert), with stuff like prototypes and rare things, I love it when people make custom boxes. In fact, I saw this one for Alien versus Predator and was well impressed.

I could never stand for any non-official 'MoodBlood' boxes contaminating my original collections! :twisted:

On the other hand (and no contradiction at all ;) ) I love the idea and all the wonderful artwork that people conceive and create for Homebrew/Prototypes/Non-Official releases :)

BadPricey, aminor00,

I want to make them for the protos, homebrews, etc that do not have boxes.

I have a Canon MP640 printer and used 300gsm paper as in the photo, it is really stiff and prints well. The Centipede image was a bit blury, but all in all not to bad.

I think if we can get a pool of hires pictures and the 'X' pattern that would be great.

I have made a template for the inside of the box, please see photos.

Cheers

Russ

Hey Russ, love your work as always! :)

Trew, good question.

I have just reached the same point myself. Most of my collection is cart only, my original boxes having been burnt years ago to save space in my dad's loft :-(

I've just started collecting again and have really enjoyed getting the boxes through in the post. It's a bit of retro nostalgia for sure.

In a weird way getting an original box is like being handed a packet full of wonder and mystery, especially the shrink wrapped or blister packed boxes.

On the other hand, while I'm pleased with the results of my homemade boxes they represent hours of work scanning and placing images, printing, cutting out, folding and gluing. So they aren't the same as the originals, it's more like a Picasso original and a Picasso print from the local market. I couldn't ever "recreate" a box for a missing original release cart and put it on my shelf without it sticking like a sore thumb.

aminor00: I echo all those sentiments ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...