IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

Is it?  I never did get that one back in the day.  A decade ago I got the two for the SNES, but the first one was so poorly done it caused me not to even touch the other for a few years, then sell it or trade it I forget without bothering.  I later learned it wasn't garbage, much like how Breath of Fire 1 is crap by design but the sequel is excellent.  Too little, too late.  Now they're all expensive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

Is it?  I never did get that one back in the day.  A decade ago I got the two for the SNES, but the first one was so poorly done it caused me not to even touch the other for a few years, then sell it or trade it I forget without bothering.  I later learned it wasn't garbage, much like how Breath of Fire 1 is crap by design but the sequel is excellent.  Too little, too late.  Now they're all expensive.

Yeah, I think Lufia II is widely regarded as the best one.

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

Amazing how I keep finding must-have GBC games. It may be a small library by comparison but there’s a lot there! 3D Ultra Pinball Thrillride is cheap and looks better than most of the other “realistic” pinball games on Game Boy. I will update when I get mine! 

Great arrangement by Allister Brimble in that one. This one for me would have to be a favorite of his:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Amazing how I keep finding must-have GBC games. It may be a small library by comparison but there’s a lot there! 3D Ultra Pinball Thrillride is cheap and looks better than most of the other “realistic” pinball games on Game Boy. I will update when I get mine! 

Love me some good pinball games.  Will have to check this out sometime for sure.  Appreciate you sharing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Damn dude good call on that.  I own a good number of old Gameboy family games but those that are complete are few, this is one I have that is.  When you can distance your feels about the reduced audio and visual side due to the 8bit format, this game is a fantastic conversion of the PC game this table spawns from as it's fantastic, truly a best of on the GBC when you jump away from the fuzzy world of Pokemon Pinball and most earlier stuff too which were poor (pinball dreams/fantasies) conversions or the goofy stuff (kirby, revenge of gator, etc.)

I do love some digital pinball, so now it's my turn to throw a few more GB family gems into the mix. And I'm going to bloat this out with 4 choices with videos.

I'll start this with some DOS/Amiga etc era conversion awesomeness we got screwed out of, but the UK got, so ...easily imported. :)

#1 -- Pinball Challenge Deluxe -- aka -- Pinball Dreams AND Pinball Fantasies in one excellent package.  They convert the games exceptionally well, all 8 of the tables over both the games are present here so it's a beefy digital pinball package with lots of solid variety.  Sadly outside of DOS and Amiga most game conversions of this have been crap, utter crap, up until this on GBA, then a bit later on PSN alone under their Minis line for PS3/PSP.

#2 -- Pinball Advance, the name sucks, too vague given that title on GBA you can't get more generic, but what's there isn't.  Another awesome set of computer tables converted, these are an audio/visual jump over #1 up there above being a bit newer.  I believe the package on PC was called Pinball Mania, a DOS title, and like the earlier duo above, also done by 21st Century which was renamed to Digital Illusions that colluded with Spidersoft on these, DI you may know as DICE these days known for some games EA puts out.  #1 above actually were their first 2 games as a company so this is early DICE goodness here, but most only just know them for EA's Battlefield franchise and that frostbite engine of theirs.  This package has 4 solid well done tables, check the video.

#3 -- Hardcore Pinball, yet another generic non-inspiring name for pinball -- Now this one is kind of out in left field, this is some randomly baked up stuff, and seemingly a bit more generic than the last two offerings, but where it seems kind of potentially sketchy and low budget, surprisingly has a set of very nice tables with good design and reward to even bother with.  It has the usual small set of tables like the other before it did, and a little less complex too, quite frankly if you remember EPIC Pinball back in the day, it's on the level of stuff like that...not overly deep but plenty of fun.

#4 -- The Getaway High Speed II Pinball -- I'm sure someone here knows this name right?  It's a meager offering because that's what you get, ONE table, one original real Williams Pinball table digitally converted long before people really bothered to attempt such things.  Strangely despite the hardware being original GB, and stuck in mono, somehow they surprisingly very very well pulled it off.  Take a peek at the video for a bit, see how they handled the multi-height(tiered) table as it oddly works well -- even the little mini game usually done on the DMD is present too so corners were not cut.

• Like 2

The GBA one isn't as fun, prettier, sounds nicer too, but quality of the gameplay, unlock(catch), and table design is better on the original.

Also ...no, Crystalis on GBC isn't better. :)  I still would love to know 20 years on why the hell they removed such a far superior sound track to that game too.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Damn dude good call on that.  I own a good number of old Gameboy family games but those that are complete are few, this is one I have that is.  When you can distance your feels about the reduced audio and visual side due to the 8bit format, this game is a fantastic conversion of the PC game this table spawns from as it's fantastic, truly a best of on the GBC when you jump away from the fuzzy world of Pokemon Pinball and most earlier stuff too which were poor (pinball dreams/fantasies) conversions or the goofy stuff (kirby, revenge of gator, etc.)

I do love some digital pinball, so now it's my turn to throw a few more GB family gems into the mix. And I'm going to bloat this out with 4 choices with videos.

I'll start this with some DOS/Amiga etc era conversion awesomeness we got screwed out of, but the UK got, so ...easily imported. :)

#1 -- Pinball Challenge Deluxe -- aka -- Pinball Dreams AND Pinball Fantasies in one excellent package.  They convert the games exceptionally well, all 8 of the tables over both the games are present here so it's a beefy digital pinball package with lots of solid variety.  Sadly outside of DOS and Amiga most game conversions of this have been crap, utter crap, up until this on GBA, then a bit later on PSN alone under their Minis line for PS3/PSP.

#2 -- Pinball Advance, the name sucks, too vague given that title on GBA you can't get more generic, but what's there isn't.  Another awesome set of computer tables converted, these are an audio/visual jump over #1 up there above being a bit newer.  I believe the package on PC was called Pinball Mania, a DOS title, and like the earlier duo above, also done by 21st Century which was renamed to Digital Illusions that colluded with Spidersoft on these, DI you may know as DICE these days known for some games EA puts out.  #1 above actually were their first 2 games as a company so this is early DICE goodness here, but most only just know them for EA's Battlefield franchise and that frostbite engine of theirs.  This package has 4 solid well done tables, check the video.

#3 -- Hardcore Pinball, yet another generic non-inspiring name for pinball -- Now this one is kind of out in left field, this is some randomly baked up stuff, and seemingly a bit more generic than the last two offerings, but where it seems kind of potentially sketchy and low budget, surprisingly has a set of very nice tables with good design and reward to even bother with.  It has the usual small set of tables like the other before it did, and a little less complex too, quite frankly if you remember EPIC Pinball back in the day, it's on the level of stuff like that...not overly deep but plenty of fun.

#4 -- The Getaway High Speed II Pinball -- I'm sure someone here knows this name right?  It's a meager offering because that's what you get, ONE table, one original real Williams Pinball table digitally converted long before people really bothered to attempt such things.  Strangely despite the hardware being original GB, and stuck in mono, somehow they surprisingly very very well pulled it off.  Take a peek at the video for a bit, see how they handled the multi-height(tiered) table as it oddly works well -- even the little mini game usually done on the DMD is present too so corners were not cut.

Many thanks for the suggestions!  Will check these out soon for sure.

• Like 1